View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

14-07-2013, 02:24 AM

Cracking stuff - giving an egg to your dog.

I maintain whole eggs once in a while (shell and everything) used to help Fingal with his anal gland problem so with that in mind..

My chickens provide me with more eggs than I can use so I've started to give them to the dogs. One egg per dog per day fits in with with our chook production. They seem to love them and here's some blurb.....

There are a lot of myths and misconceptions about raw feeding and it seems the poor egg is often dragged through the mud as a dangerous food for dogs. Opponents of eggs claim that they are too high in cholesterol, they pose a risk of salmonella and that they cause a biotin deficiency. To that, we say nonsense! Eggs are not only a cheap and safe source of raw food for your dog, they are one of the most complete and nutritious meals you can choose!

Here are the facts you need to know about eggs.

Eggs are a complete food source – Eggs are an important source of nutrition for not only many predators, but for the chick living inside it. Inside the egg are all the nutrients necessary to grow a new chicken. Eggs are also one of the most complete sources of amino acids, the building blocks of protein. Eggs are a good source of:

Vitamin A
Riboflavin
Folate
Vitamin B12
Iron
Selenium
Fatty Acids

Egg whites contain enzyme inhibitors – One of the reasons pet owners are warned off eggs is that the whites contain enzyme inhibitors which can interfere with digestion, especially in very young and old animals. This is true, but it only means that eggs should not be the mainstay of the diet. It is perfectly safe to feed several eggs a week to the average dog. If you don’t see evidence of digestive upset when feeding eggs to dogs, then he should have no trouble if eggs are a regular part of his diet. Cooking the egg white could solve this problem but much of the nutrition would be lost so it is best to feed it raw.

Egg whites cause Biotin deficiency – Egg whites contain avidin, a Biotin (one of the B vitamins) inhibitor. Biotin is one of the B vitamins and is important for cellular growth, fatty acid metabolism and good skin and coat. Biotin deficiencies are quite rare and it would take an extraordinary amount of eggs to create a deficiency. Moreover, egg yolks are very high in biotin, so as long as you feed the entire egg, there are few worries. There are other sources of biotin in the diet as well. Liver is a particularly good source. Once again, cooking the egg white will eliminate the risk but your dog will lose much of the nutritional value. If feeding your dog eggs on a regular basis, simply make sure he gets the whole egg, not just the white.

Eggs contain salmonella – Dogs are well equipped to handle the bacteria in raw foods. The health of the hen is also important, so it is best to choose eggs from organic, free-range chickens. Proper storage and keeping the eggs cool will also go a long way toward keeping the harmful bacteria at a manageable level.

Don’t forget the shells – If eggs are fed with the shell on, they are a nearly complete food source for dogs. The shells can also be valuable for dogs who have difficulty eating bones. Simply dry the shells out and grind them in a clean coffee grinder until they are powdered and sprinkle the powder on your dog’s food. It’s important to remember that many eggs are sprayed with a chemical to make them look shiny, so it is best to get your eggs from a local organic farmer.

Eggs are cheap, easily obtained and an outstanding source of nutrition for your dog. The overall concensus with raw feeders is that the health benefits of eggs certainly outweigh the risks – and feeding eggs whole, the way nature intended, goes a long ways to counteract harmful imbalances. Try feeding your dogs a few eggs a week and he will you’ll see better health, inside and out.

What I've yet to discover is how much 'egg' works best for my dogs. All I would say is Skye, Breagh and Mij love them either cracked /glazed on top of their dinner or as a wee treat.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-07-2013, 06:56 AM
There is an egg farm [not free range but a huge barn with a large open but enclosed outer area] just up the road, so I buy a tray of eggs from them when needed. Very fresh being that morning's collection.

Pereg adores raw eggs but I do not give her the shells as she is raw fed and has a RMB every evening so gets sufficient calcium from those.
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2013, 07:09 AM
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
I maintain whole eggs once in a while (shell and everything) used to help Fingal with his anal gland problem so with that in mind..

My chickens provide me with more eggs than I can use so I've started to give them to the dogs. One egg per dog per day fits in with with our chook production. They seem to love them and here's some blurb.....

There are a lot of myths and misconceptions about raw feeding and it seems the poor egg is often dragged through the mud as a dangerous food for dogs. Opponents of eggs claim that they are too high in cholesterol, they pose a risk of salmonella and that they cause a biotin deficiency. To that, we say nonsense! Eggs are not only a cheap and safe source of raw food for your dog, they are one of the most complete and nutritious meals you can choose!

Here are the facts you need to know about eggs.

Eggs are a complete food source – Eggs are an important source of nutrition for not only many predators, but for the chick living inside it. Inside the egg are all the nutrients necessary to grow a new chicken. Eggs are also one of the most complete sources of amino acids, the building blocks of protein. Eggs are a good source of:

Vitamin A
Riboflavin
Folate
Vitamin B12
Iron
Selenium
Fatty Acids

Egg whites contain enzyme inhibitors – One of the reasons pet owners are warned off eggs is that the whites contain enzyme inhibitors which can interfere with digestion, especially in very young and old animals. This is true, but it only means that eggs should not be the mainstay of the diet. It is perfectly safe to feed several eggs a week to the average dog. If you don’t see evidence of digestive upset when feeding eggs to dogs, then he should have no trouble if eggs are a regular part of his diet. Cooking the egg white could solve this problem but much of the nutrition would be lost so it is best to feed it raw.

Egg whites cause Biotin deficiency – Egg whites contain avidin, a Biotin (one of the B vitamins) inhibitor. Biotin is one of the B vitamins and is important for cellular growth, fatty acid metabolism and good skin and coat. Biotin deficiencies are quite rare and it would take an extraordinary amount of eggs to create a deficiency. Moreover, egg yolks are very high in biotin, so as long as you feed the entire egg, there are few worries. There are other sources of biotin in the diet as well. Liver is a particularly good source. Once again, cooking the egg white will eliminate the risk but your dog will lose much of the nutritional value. If feeding your dog eggs on a regular basis, simply make sure he gets the whole egg, not just the white.

Eggs contain salmonella – Dogs are well equipped to handle the bacteria in raw foods. The health of the hen is also important, so it is best to choose eggs from organic, free-range chickens. Proper storage and keeping the eggs cool will also go a long way toward keeping the harmful bacteria at a manageable level.

Don’t forget the shells – If eggs are fed with the shell on, they are a nearly complete food source for dogs. The shells can also be valuable for dogs who have difficulty eating bones. Simply dry the shells out and grind them in a clean coffee grinder until they are powdered and sprinkle the powder on your dog’s food. It’s important to remember that many eggs are sprayed with a chemical to make them look shiny, so it is best to get your eggs from a local organic farmer.

Eggs are cheap, easily obtained and an outstanding source of nutrition for your dog. The overall concensus with raw feeders is that the health benefits of eggs certainly outweigh the risks – and feeding eggs whole, the way nature intended, goes a long ways to counteract harmful imbalances. Try feeding your dogs a few eggs a week and he will you’ll see better health, inside and out.

What I've yet to discover is how much 'egg' works best for my dogs. All I would say is Skye, Breagh and Mij love them either cracked /glazed on top of their dinner or as a wee treat.
Hi I have a very old book re Greyhounds,there breakfast should be an egg raw and wholemeal bread for racing greyhounds,but no raw eggs for Bitches???? Gemini54
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2013, 07:17 AM
I used to give Tonks a whole egg often as a pup. I thought it was nutritious and also something to keep her entertained. She used to carry it carefully out to the garden and play with it before cracking it.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-07-2013, 07:35 AM
We don't eat many eggs so the dogs have to help us out or they'd end up in the bin. All my lot love raw eggs.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2013, 08:59 AM
Very informative Will try her with one later xx
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

14-07-2013, 09:21 AM
Mine have a raw egg in its shell twice a week, in fact they had one each this morning.
Up until about 16/18 weeks old you have to be careful of excess calcium as a puppy cannot dispose of it, once they are past that age though, you need have no worries about any excess, as it will be disposed of through the normal channels.
Vicky88
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-07-2013, 12:35 PM
I will have to try Holly with one, don't have any eggs in the fridge though. Next time I buy some I will have to try and remember to give Holly one to try.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

14-07-2013, 12:55 PM
if she isn't used to eggs, break it into her bowl onto her food, leaving the shell there as well. Then when she gets used to crunching it all up just leave the entire egg in the bowl, I always give them their eggs with their brekkie.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

14-07-2013, 01:56 PM
Mij is a bit of a pain in that when the kids go to get the eggs from the hen house, he's learned that if they get 'dropped' - they become dog food.

What is funny is how each of the dogs tackle a whole egg. I'll try and do a wee video of them later.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >