Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-06-2011, 12:25 PM

What size chunks of meat should I cut?

[Sorry, could not think of a better title ]

I now have rather a large amount of raw meat - chicken wings [the complete wing, not just the last two joints], turkey gizzards and turkey "tails" ["the Parson's Nose]. I also have some mince - not sure if it is chicken or turkey as my neighbour was in a rush and I did not quite understand what she had gotten for me.

Just a heck of a lot of raw food for Pereg!

The wings and backs I can cut and freeze in sizes I know Pereg will be able to deal with. What I am not sure about is the size I need to cut the gizzards and "tails", as I do not want her to gulp down too large a chunk and choke - although I will possibly give some frozen as she really like the wings frozen and I know she can cope with those. So I need to know, please, what size chunks to cut them.

The mince will be packed in ~100g amounts, as I would freeze a beefburger, as then I can just take one out at a time. The rest will be open frozen and then packed loosely in bags so that I will be able to take out as many pieces as required at any time.

None of the above is pet food grade, just regular stuff, ~two kilos of each, and my neighbour will pick up the chicken and turkey backs I asked her to get for me next time she goes into town. [Her shopping trolley was too full for her to get any more in it!]

All advice will be gratefully accepted.

Thanks
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 02:58 PM
They usually reckon 2-3% of the dogs` bodyweight a day when feeding raw, though this is only a rough guide as dogs (and food!) vary enormously.
You`ll see from your dog what is the right amount. Keep an eye on his waistline
BTW - just watch the poos. Too hard = too much bone. Too dark = too rich or too much offal.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

20-06-2011, 03:34 PM
Thank you for your response. It is not the total amount of food to give Pereg, but roughly what size chunks I should cut the meat into to give her. I am limited regarding offal which is why I have ended up with what I mentioned in my OP.

I do not want to have to cut the meat up into very small pieces but neither do I want to risk her choking if she decides to swallow a lump which is too large. She is very good with chicken wings, crunching them [from frozen] but so far they have only been as a treat, not a significant part of her diet.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 05:13 PM
Why would you need to cut it?? does the dog not have teeth>>
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 05:16 PM
if she is fine with chicken wings..i dont see why u are worrying(id worry more abut small things than big)

also,if u are worried...feed frozen at first, it will slow her down...and great in the heat,doggie ice lolly
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

20-06-2011, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
Why would you need to cut it?? does the dog not have teeth>>
Yes, strong teeth and jaws! It is just that one turkey gizzard is far more than I would give her at one meal, ditto the "tail".

Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
if she is fine with chicken wings..i dont see why u are worrying(id worry more abut small things than big)

also,if u are worried...feed frozen at first, it will slow her down...and great in the heat,doggie ice lolly
The first lot of chicken wings I bought were in a solid frozen 1kg block which I had to hack with a Chinese cleaver, the back of which was whacked with a hammer. And I started with just giving Pereg a [frozen] piece at a time as a treat, to see how she would cope, then putting a couple of pieces in with the rest of a meal.

The ones my neighbour got for me today are fresh but are massive, and I intend to separate the large upper joint from the two end joints. It was the turkey gizzards and "tail" that I wanted to cut.

My intention is to feed her two-thirds meat and bone, one third vegetables - unless I have got those proportions wrong? But until I change completely to raw I am still giving her some of her dry food to see how she copes with the change.

And I probably will give her most of the meat frozen. It will not only slow down her eating but is also give her exercise as she takes one piece at a time from her dish [in the kitchen] runs into the salon to demolish it, then rushes back for another piece!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 06:05 PM
Dogs come complete with their own cutlery. No need to chop it up.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

20-06-2011, 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Dogs come complete with their own cutlery. No need to chop it up.
I know, but I am trying to fill her up with less food [yes I know that is an oxymoron] as her medication makes her ravenous, so I do not want to give her a huge chunk of something that she hoovers up and then thinks she has only had a small amount of food and starts demanding more.

I tried giving her two small meals a day, which worked for a while, then it was back to her refusing to eat until she was hungry, which is usually around 7-7.30pm but then she started demanding more about an hour later. And then more. Which was when I first tried her on chicken wings.

They went down a treat, crunch crunch crunch, which was really why I thought the raw food/bones diet would be better for her, and stop the evening "munchies".

She has already gained weight which is Not A Good Thing as she is not a very big dog, and I would like to to drop back to the 17kg she was in April.

I am just so new to this type of feeding but I guess I will learn - with the help of everyone on Dogsey!
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 06:38 PM
I agree with the others, no need to cut it.

If you think it's too much for one meal, just cut it into the amount you think is ok for her meal.

If you want to teach her to chew, just hold onto it whilst she chews and she will learn that way (that's the way I taught Harley).
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 10:55 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
I know, but I am trying to fill her up with less food [yes I know that is an oxymoron] as her medication makes her ravenous, so I do not want to give her a huge chunk of something that she hoovers up and then thinks she has only had a small amount of food and starts demanding more.

she cant hoover a large rmb my Tupac is a grub monster,but he eats slower and has to work at his food so it lasts longer and he is fuller for longer.

I tried giving her two small meals a day, which worked for a while, then it was back to her refusing to eat until she was hungry, which is usually around 7-7.30pm but then she started demanding more about an hour later. And then more. Which was when I first tried her on chicken wings.

do something else with her instead..id hate to think the size Tupac would be if i gave into his food demands

They went down a treat, crunch crunch crunch, which was really why I thought the raw food/bones diet would be better for her, and stop the evening "munchies".

She has already gained weight which is Not A Good Thing as she is not a very big dog, and I would like to to drop back to the 17kg she was in April.

I am just so new to this type of feeding but I guess I will learn - with the help of everyone on Dogsey!
it may help towards feeling fuller,but it doesnt matter what or how you feed her,if you are giving her too much she will gain weight.

i know its hard when dogs are on medication that increase their appetite,but it does them no favours at all..you have to remember its a fake appetite,their body does not need it she just wants it....dunno what my Tupacs excuse is tho
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >