View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2006, 08:42 PM
Well done for you, there are always exceptions, I was generalising from the GSDs I have owned and known.
Shady
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-04-2006, 08:51 PM
its the same as my gsds thay took no time but now are clean the pup still gets carryed away when playing but if you yelp at her she will stop all my dogs stop at that my oldes one will lick you if you do it to her it sound silly but it woks cos when thay play fight she will yelp and saber will stop so works on both dogs and humans
data3615
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-04-2006, 10:19 PM
Well i have read all ya posts and want to thank each of you very much for your advice . I will try some of the options you have said , And i will keep you informed of how im getting on

Thanks
Shady
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-04-2006, 10:53 PM
i know it sounds odd but do try the yelping thing it does work it only took a day to get my pup to stop biteing us she just slips at times but she is only young
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2006, 12:40 AM
Originally Posted by Thordell
Well done for you, there are always exceptions, I was generalising from the GSDs I have owned and known.

Well I have known quite a few and my sister had one for many years and he was always very clean too and quickly housetrained - they are one of the most intelligent dogs afterall so I am not surprised by this
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2006, 06:33 AM
OK lets forget that I mentioned that of the breeds I have owned the GSD has been the latest and the most difficult to get reliably house trained and concentrate on helping the original poster to stop their dog biting. One can only speak as one finds.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2006, 10:42 AM
OK lets forget that I mentioned that of the breeds I have owned the GSD has been the latest and the most difficult to get reliably house trained and concentrate on helping the original poster to stop their dog biting. One can only speak as one finds.
Fine by me
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2006, 01:17 PM
Just wanted to 2nd that yelping bit that shady mentioned This also worked for me too sometimes, and as he said, when watching my two playing together, if one of them yelps, the other one immediately stops, so if it works for dogs....
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2006, 02:54 PM
Please you must get this dog to stop asap, he is NOT playing, he is dominating you and the bites will get harder and more dangerous as he develops.

Dominant dogs need to be shown that they are NOT pack leader, you are. By this I do not mean beat him into submission, rather you must start training him to respect you and obey your commands. He would benefit from training classes if you do not already attend. GSDs are intelligent dogs and need their brains exercised as much as their bodies. I would start doing regular daily training sessions with him, this will be a good start to him respecting you more.

Everyone has their own methods, but if turning away and ignoring him does not work and verbal reprimands fail, you must do something else. Personally, I find nothing wrong with scruffing, done correctly it is a perfectly good way of remprimanding particularly with a dog that is willfully disobeying after being chastised verbally. I do not advocate smacking or striking a dog, but when a dog needs further disciplined on occasion I do think scruffing is fine.

I am sure there are others here who will disagree, not everyone trains the same way. Whichever method of stopping him behaving this way, please implement it as soon as you can, he will only get worse if left to get away with it.

It is something that GSD's seem prone to, I used to say NO made it clear I was not pleased and walk away into another room. It always worked but some took longer than others, think you have done well to have him fully trained by 8 months, found that another thing GSD's are prone to a recognition that there bladders are full and they should have asked to go out 15 minutes ago

Ohhh that brings back memories for me Thordell! My GSDs were the worlds worst at being house-trained, I despaired at times. My male Jasper was the worst ever and still had accidents when he was 2! He was also the worst chewer in the world (sep anxiety!!) but that said he was THE most obedient and responsive dog to commands I will ever have the pleasure of owning, so I guess it is swings and roundabouts!!!
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2006, 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54
Just wanted to 2nd that yelping bit that shady mentioned This also worked for me too sometimes, and as he said, when watching my two playing together, if one of them yelps, the other one immediately stops, so if it works for dogs....
Not wishing to contradict but I have found the yelping works up to about 14 weeks but will then loose its effect except to get attention, I would say stop the yelp and use a word of command like no or stop and sound like you mean it and then ignore the dog till it calms down.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >