Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bluebell
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-03-2008, 05:46 PM

Training troubles..

So i've had my little Lhasa for nearly 11 weeks. All is going okay...but...

1) She still doesn't come when you call her. She has no idea of her name.

2) I am having problems teaching her to sit/stay

3) How am i going to stop her running ALL over my flower bed. When shes outside i try and stop her but she thinks its a game and of course when i say NO BLUEBELL...she is clueless because she doesn't know her name.

Apart from that..its all good
boris
Dogsey Junior
Male 

30-03-2008, 06:25 PM
1) She should be on a lead/line until she does come

2) Have you considered joining a class?

3) See 1) above. Also, try to avoid using her name when telling her off, you don't want to associate her name with negative things.

Ian
AlbionLass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-03-2008, 06:30 PM
I agree with Ian, Never use the word NO! with your dogs name. Names should only ever have a positive association.

Have you thought about using a whistle for recalls?
The sheer fact that it is an unusual noise brings a lot of dogs running. The dog hears your voice all the time and his/her name can just got lost in the background of ordinary daily sounds.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2008, 07:30 PM
How are you calling her to you. As you need to be making your voice sound exciting and friendly as you call her name then reward her with something tasty everytime she comes even if it takes an hour for her to get to you, you must reward and lots of praise. Never scold because they don't come immeadiatly as they will not want to come again if you do that.
Remember you need to be more fun and interesting than what she is doing for her to stop and come to you.
Agility-mongrel
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-03-2008, 07:59 PM
I found that the best way to teach a dog it's name was to say the name and give a treat. After a couple of times (or longer depending on the dog!) when you say her name she should look at you. Continue to treat every time she looks at you when you say her name. After all, you really only want to get her attention when you say her name, not teach her the abstract concepts that names can have!
This is what worked for me anyway! Good luck!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-03-2008, 08:16 PM
Hi Bluebell I am sure I posted a link to Shadowboxers puppy training article in a previous thread, did you read it..

http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=14526
I'm afraid puppies don't know the difference between flower beds and the rest of the garden, I have put low fences of green netting around my flower beds until my puppy is older. I also call her off the flower beds if she strays onto them (in a cheerful voice not a cross voice and never chase or it becomes a game ) and show her where I want her to play by putting her toys in that area/playing with her there/giving lots of praise when she plays there.
That way playing in the correct area is rewarding, playing in the flower beds isn't.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2008, 10:06 AM
If I said to you Bluebell, bluebell, bluebell - what would you do? You`d say Bluebell What? Yes?
Your dog`s name doesn`t mean `come` or sit or gerrof or give us a kiss - it`s just the canine quivalent of a speaker clearing his throat to indicate that he`s going to say something. Teach Come or Sit, by all means - I suggest a dog club is the best place as you can then see that your dog isn`t clueless - you`re just speaking different languages.
Re. the garden - get a fence or lose the flower beds! Tubs are good.
AiredaleKate
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-03-2008, 10:53 AM
Yes, we grassed over our flowerbeds when we had our first pup

I agree, lots of treats and everytime she comes back, treat her and lots of praise. A high, silly squeaky voice works best, or you could try a squeaky toy. Don't ever call her to you to be told off as she will always wonder if that's why you're recaling her. Better to go to her and remover her from whatever she's doing that you don't appreciate (ie eating half the garden!). A long line might help initially, you can then give the command "come" or whatever you're using and reel her in if she doesn't respond to treat her.

x
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2008, 11:05 AM
Nothing much to add some great advice already given. Personally I would concentrate on the name/recall before moving onto the sit and stay.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2008, 11:20 AM
It took me much longer than 11 weeks to get Bryan's recall up to standard and he wasn't a pup!

Keep working at it, it'll come eventually
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >