View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
PurpleJackdaw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2006, 09:21 AM
I dont think its good to do anything that encourages children to try and ride their dogs ,dogs are not designed for riding ,we spend all our time worrying about stairs ,over exercise etc causing joint problems ,a child treating them like a horse can hardly be good
There is a story on the website about a group of children racing their dogs with the oldest being 10 this is hardly a young child
Nope sorry but I dont like it one bit ,My own children have been brought up to respect animals and treat them well ,they dont chase pigeons ,they dont squeeze small fluffy things and they would certainly never try to ride a dog
Daniellew
Dogsey Junior

20-06-2006, 10:47 AM
:smt009 :smt017 :smt021 :smt062 :smt102 :smt103
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2006, 11:15 AM
I can't see the point in ever allowing a child to ride a dog. Dogs are not horses and are not built to be ridden and in my opinion its a stupid thing to encourange ANY child to ride ANY dog no matter how big it is or even if its only for a minute, it should not happen ever.
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2006, 11:33 AM
Originally Posted by Jules1
I've just signed their guest book! Don't think my message will be allowed :smt018
Might be a good idea for us all to express our feelings to them!
Thats a good idea. I'm going to do that to. This is appauling (sp)
minky
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2006, 11:41 AM
no no no this is wrong!! Poor dogs! What happens when a dog turns round and munches a childs leg because it doesn't like being ridden? The dog gets bashed or put to sleep! NO DOG RIDING!!!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2006, 11:57 AM
Hmmm TBH I wasn't sure if it was all that wrong to begin with, but I've had a good look around and I'm afraid I agree with everyone else. This is an extremely irresponsible thing to do. On one video the dog is being dragged round the garden reluctantly with a child on it's back, another shows a child far to big for the dog being ridden and another shows a child climbing on the back of a great dane and falling off quite heavily. Now what happens when the child suddenly decides to try this without supervision? And the dog resents the child, but becasue the child has been encouraged does it anyway. Then the child gets bitten and whos fault is it? The dogs! Children should ALWAYS be taught to respect animals and IMO to be taught to ride your pet dog flys in the face of that very principle.

Sorry but definitely not my cup of tea.
Jules1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2006, 12:26 PM
How can a dog tell a child its OK to ride on me!

I am incidently a riding instructor. Ponys carry children through their stomach muscles not their back. If a pony has been backed to early etc the back dips.
A dog is supporting the child ( who incidently could fall off & breaks it arm or crack its head open) by its skeletal structure. Underneath this skeletal structure are the internal organs.
If you bash around on a horse to much you can bruise their kidneys.

And you think its OK for a child to ride a dog? I think you need to look at this in a clinical way.

Its very dangerous! It should NOT be encouraged & i feel very sorry for you if you think its OK for a child to do this no matter how big the dog is!!!!

All dogs are breed for a reason. Big dogs were used to pulling people not carrying them! For the reason i have stated above.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2006, 12:46 PM
Dogs are not horses and are not ment to be ridden on, ever, not even for a short time, they are not built for it and it's totally ridiculous.
KatieB_23
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-06-2006, 12:59 PM
WTF??!!
What a ridiculous site! I cant believe how many idiots have sent videos in
And its encouraging more people to do the same
Originally Posted by darasa
As A kid I always wanted to ride my nannas white GSD it seemed soo big to me...I was not allowed because .. I was told it would hurt poor "fella"...
as an adult i am surprised at a web site dedicated to "dog riding" dogs are not load bearing animals, yes they might be strong and able to pull considerable weights, but to my knowledge dogs are not physically built to be ridden, It has the potentail to be very dangerous for some dogs !!
I was exactly the same with my big black alsatian - we used to joke that he was as big as a pony, and I would want to ride him but my parents explained that dog's arent built for that full stop!
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2006, 01:27 PM
Totally irresponsible, hard to imagine how an adult could think this proves anything except how stupid the human race can be. To allow a child to think this is ok behaviour and at the same time risk injury to a dog leaves me astounded, the fact that it on the Internet where it will undoubtable be copied makes me angry.
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »