Our sister sites
Our sister sites
songbird72884
New Member!
Female 

05-09-2006, 11:31 AM

Loving Home looking for a Shih Tzu

Hi there!

We are a small family in Co. Durham, England looking for a Shih Tzu bitch to adopt. Our own passed away in January due to diabetes and has left a big hole in our lives. We love the Shih Tzu breed so much that we would like to adopt one that needs a good, loving home, but have so far had no luck.

We would like a bitch that is preferably no older than about 6, though would stretch to 7 if the right dog came along, because we lost our little Mitzi so recently and, being elderly, my parents would prefer to adopt one that they can hope for at least a few years with (rather than an elderly dog who they would only have a year or two with). We will gladly travel to meet/pick up a dog, more or less anywhere in the UK (we were considering one in Wales but that one has been rehomed, pending a trial period).

There are no young people in the family, myself being the youngest at 22, my parents being 78 and 61, no other pets and we have a secure yard and garden with plenty of fields and parks nearby for walks.

We have had a homecheck by Southern Shih Tzu Rescue and have been accepted on their waiting list but so far have had no luck finding a little lady to join our family and are also on the lists for Northeast Shih Tzu and Home Counties Shih Tzu rescues.

Any pointers as to Shih Tzus looking to be rehomed or rescue centres with Shih Tzus to home would be gratefully received as we have a lot of love to give and are looking forward to having a new little girl in the family to give it to

Nikki
xx
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2006, 12:12 PM
Just found these - don't know whether you have tried them all - one of them Mrs Macdonald is a vet I think and isnt that far from us.

Home Counties Shih Tzu rescue
Mrs P M Read, Abbots Langley, Herts. Tel: 01923 675069

North East Shih Tzu Rescue
Mrs A Craggs, Chopwell, Newcastle upon Tyne. Tel: 01207 560046

Shih Tzu Rescue
Mrs E MacDonald, Oldham, Lancs. Tel: 0161 633 5050
Email: elaine@thevets.fsnet.co.uk

Southern Shih Tzu Rescue
Mrs D I Butler (Secretary) Warlingham, Surrey. Tel: 01883 623252
Hope you find a Shih Tzu to love very soon
songbird72884
New Member!
Female 

05-09-2006, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the names

Sadly, I've rung all of those people and they don't have any bitches available to adopt and mum and dad are both adamant that they want a bitch rather than a dog
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2006, 12:17 PM
Originally Posted by songbird72884
Thanks for the names

Sadly, I've rung all of those people and they don't have any bitches available to adopt and mum and dad are both adamant that they want a bitch rather than a dog
Awww thats a shame - dogs can be every bit as loving as bitches though - I have had both dogs and bitches
songbird72884
New Member!
Female 

05-09-2006, 12:24 PM
Our first two dogs were, well, dogs and for some reason they were never as affectionate with any of us as our last one, which was a bitch, so I think that's part of their reason for wanting a bitch, though I'm not quite sure. I think another part might be because we've been so used to the bitch temperament for so long (13 years) that it'll be hard for them to get used to a different gender at their age (they're very set in their ways so they might have trouble adapting to treating a dog as male rather than female, if that makes any sense.

Sorry if it didn't make any sense, it made sense in my head but for some reason didn't come out quite right 'on paper'

Nikki
xxx
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2006, 12:30 PM
Our first two dogs were, well, dogs and for some reason they were never as affectionate with any of us as our last one, which was a bitch, so I think that's part of their reason for wanting a bitch, though I'm not quite sure. I think another part might be because we've been so used to the bitch temperament for so long (13 years) that it'll be hard for them to get used to a different gender at their age (they're very set in their ways so they might have trouble adapting to treating a dog as male rather than female, if that makes any sense.

Sorry if it didn't make any sense, it made sense in my head but for some reason didn't come out quite right 'on paper'

Nikki
xxx
Oh yes I can understand what you mean I wanted a bitch really when we got Benji (a Bichon Frise) but there was only two dogs left by the time we returned and so we settled for a dog - but he is very affectionate and a softy. We had him castrated at 7 months though so maybe this has softened him up a bit
songbird72884
New Member!
Female 

06-09-2006, 01:37 PM
Woohoo! Thank you Foxy, you're an angel!

I told mum and dad what you said about your little Bichon Frise (being castrated and being so affectionate) and mum decided that obviously that followed the trend she thought she'd seen (dogs being more affectionate when they're castrated) and now they're willing to consider a dog . So, assuming they decide to definitely consider one, we can hopefully get in touch with the Shih Tzu Rescues and let them know we're willing to take either a bitch or a dog

EDIT: Which they've just confirmed, so yes, we will consider dogs as well as bitches
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2006, 10:22 PM
Woohoo! Thank you Foxy, you're an angel!

I told mum and dad what you said about your little Bichon Frise (being castrated and being so affectionate) and mum decided that obviously that followed the trend she thought she'd seen (dogs being more affectionate when they're castrated) and now they're willing to consider a dog . So, assuming they decide to definitely consider one, we can hopefully get in touch with the Shih Tzu Rescues and let them know we're willing to take either a bitch or a dog

EDIT: Which they've just confirmed, so yes, we will consider dogs as well as bitches
Thats great news
I do hope your parents find their companion soon...
songbird72884
New Member!
Female 

06-09-2006, 10:28 PM
Fingers crossed, there may be a possibility of one I've had a message from a friend to say that she's seen one that needs a home, so I'm gonna be in touch in the morning. Here's hoping!
songbird72884
New Member!
Female 

11-09-2006, 02:46 PM
Just a quick update to say that we've potentially found our new little family member! We're going on Friday to pick up a 3-4 year-old male Shih Tzu rescue to bring home, hopefully he'll settle in well He's such a little cutie
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >