Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Whiz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-10-2004, 10:03 PM

Testing behaviour with our AB Girl

Tonight we have worked ourselves up into a bit of a worry, concerning our AB girl, shes started snapping at one of our other girls around four days ago now, and tonight shes gone for our daughter in a very aggressive manor we have checked her all over and yesterday along with our newbie, she went to the vets ( she was given a clean bill of health ), daughter was just minding her own buisness colouring with her pens in her books all she did was move from off the floor into the arm chair, and Moki went straight for her face, now this has really concerned us we can handle her snapping at our other girls when she needs time out from them, but cannot tolerate her going for our daughter. OH seems to think her aggression towards our other girls in the house may have something to do with her being attacked by another dog a few weeks ago now while we were out on a walk. But what we cannot work out is her going for the little one as normally they they get along really great. With regards to training her we feel we have done all we can, with us she is very obiedient and does do whatever she is told to do. But i really cant handle her going for the little one again the way she went tonight, if we hadnt been quick enough with our command it could have all got out of hand really quickly.
Any suggestions?? He dont want to but OH has suggested maybe we should consider re-homing her to someone without any other dogs or children, i dont want to give up on my girl, but dont want her going for my child either.
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

12-10-2004, 10:57 PM
Sorry to hear that WG.

I agree that your daughter is the main priority and I would also do what's best in her interest.

Hope you find a solution soon xx.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-10-2004, 01:33 AM
A worrying situation for you. There is always a reason for agressive behaviour. We may not be able to see or understand what has triggered an attack or a warning but there is always an underlying cause, medical or behavioural. I would suggest that you consult an experienced trainer or behaviour consultant who can observe the interactions of the dog with your family & with the other dogs. It is unwise to offer any sort of advice without actually seeing exactly what is going on.

Is the bitch spayed? If not, hormonal change associated with an approaching, in progress, or just finished, season may patially account for her behaviour.

P.S. If you do decide that you need to re-home her you should still make all efforts to find the cause of the problem. If she is actually developing aggression you would just be passing on trouble. Even in a childless home she may still come into contact with children at some stage.

Hope things work out well for you.
SB
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2004, 06:54 AM
Oh Whizzgirl

I'm sorry to hear that. I dont have any advice to offer, as I'm still on my first dog, a labrador...

But I agree with all, your daughter comes first.

Hope u find a solution....

Jeanette
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2004, 07:01 AM
whizgirl am so sorry to hear that
i hope you find out what has caused this
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2004, 07:53 AM
sorry to here this WG...had a terrier rescue many years ago who had a thing about long hair ... went mad... all my mates had to tie their hair back ..then one day my niece came to play and she took out her ribbons and the dog lunged for her ........... we had to rehome her after that .... she went to a farm about a mile away and lived to 16......
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-10-2004, 08:11 AM
sorry to hear about whats happened. I hope you find out the reason for it.
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2004, 09:05 AM
Hi Whiz Girl,

I am really sorry to hear of this situation and I agree with SB evertthing needs to be done to find the cause of the problem.

However, I dont feel that any chances should be taken in the meantime and I would say re-home the dog immediatley, even if it is just with a friend until you come to the route of the problem. Any dog who will snap at a child is a liability, none more so than a bull breed where I believe the danger is heightened due to them being so great with humans, once that has gone it is a worrying situation as the damage they are capable off is or can be catastrophic.

If you do find out what it is then assess your options from there and decide what you wish to do however the wellbeing of the child is paramount in this case and no matter how well we know our animals they are all capable of causing serious damage, you would not want to be sitting here saying "what if".

You sound like a decent responsible owner so I am sure you will go with what is right for the family, I wish you luck keep us informed.

Laura
candie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2004, 11:25 AM
Ignore me if this is a daft idea but has she gone worse since you got mac?my lot went mad when i rescued molly a few months ago and daisy just would not accept her cos she was too cocky to fit in the pack!!
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2004, 11:27 AM
I agree with all of the above especially SB and Laura. Because as you say the "attack" was unprovoked, what would happen if you weren't there? Remove the dog "even for a short space of time" rather than risk the consequences. Take care and do what you think is best

Karen
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >