Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2011, 09:36 AM

Fish bones...

I was just wondering, do cooked fish bones cause the same problems as other cooked bones?

I got Jake whole fish (he usually just gets tinned or frozen packet fish), he has never tried it raw but if he refuses i will need to cook it for him, and wasnt sure about the bones
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2011, 10:22 AM
Two of mine won't eat while fish, the other one I've never tried. So I just feed them the frozen fish fillets from Iceland, they all munch those down happily; though no bones in it as far as I'm aware.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2011, 10:30 AM
i would not feed cooked fish bones personally...cooking bones make them brittle!

have you tried giving the fish still frozen? my guys love them like that.
wormole
New Member!
Female 

29-05-2011, 01:59 PM
One of my labs got in the kitchen and stole some leftovers from a plate which had cooked fish skin and a few small fish bones. He spent the rest of the afternoon retching and being sick - I assume a bone got stuck and he needed to dislodge it. He has raw fish, including the bones, with no problems.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2011, 02:10 PM
Jake usually gets the fish fillets too, and tins, but spotted these reduced in asda and they had Jakes name all over them

I know cooking makes bones brittle, but i wasnt sure if it was the same risk with fish coz the bones are soooo small but i know people get fish bones stuck in their throat so didnt want to risk it, just thought i would check what others opinions are.

Didnt matter anyway coz he wolfed them down! was pretty disgusting for me, but he loved them
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2011, 08:30 PM
I would not feed cooked fish bones myself.
rueben
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-05-2011, 09:51 AM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post

have you tried giving the fish still frozen? my guys love them like that.
I don't give cooked I only give fresh or thawed. Haven't tried giving frozen I will have to try that.