Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2008, 05:48 PM

Rescue centres

When/if you rescue a dog from a centre what do u look for with the centre itself?
The place I help out for is really good its clean, they spend a lot of time with the animals etc but they are only small and the last rescue centre i went to was a large one in lincolnshire they were clean and helpful but being so large I wonder if they spend as much time with the dogs as a smaller centre would.
So what would u look for and does it depend on the size of the centre?x
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-11-2008, 05:53 PM
where the big centre had more dogs, did have have more staff?

you could have small centres with more dogs than staff.
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2008, 05:57 PM
I dont know about the staff hun it was a open day type thing,
I'm just being curious really x
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-11-2008, 06:07 PM
i guess it doesnt depend on the size of the centre, but on the staff to dog ratio and how long and hard it is to do the cleaning and admin before you get around spending time with the dogs
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2008, 06:58 PM
Originally the rescue centre itself played no part in my decisions. But the more I have to do with rescues, the more I try to support the smaller ones rather than the well known ones.

There are two reasons that some of the more well know rescue centres can afford to have a no-kill policy, to ensure they are never over-full and have a high staff/dog ratio; its because (1) they have plenty of financial support and (2) they can and do refuse to take dogs if they think they can't rehome them or if they don't have the room.

To my mind, this is something of a cop out.

I know a rescue that never refuses a dog. Sometimes this means kennels being split and make-shift kennels being made. The doubling up is usually only for a few days, so isn't this better than the only other option which would be to make room by having longer-staying residents pts?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2008, 07:10 PM
TBH I`d judge a Rescue by how they treat the dogs. One I went to was ramshackle, obviously low on funds and staffed by volunteers. But the dogs looked cheerful, were kept in groups as far as possible and the puppies were living in the managers` house!
I know a lot of Rescues that use fostering as much as possible, which is obviously the ideal method as you can`t easily assess or work with a dog in a Kennels situation
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-11-2008, 06:38 AM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
There are two reasons that some of the more well know rescue centres can afford to have a no-kill policy, to ensure they are never over-full and have a high staff/dog ratio; its because (1) they have plenty of financial support and (2) they can and do refuse to take dogs if they think they can't rehome them or if they don't have the room.
thats interesting, although most of the big rescues do have a euthanasia policy.