View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2008, 03:06 PM
I call my girl a rescue but it was a private re home.

They told me upfront that she didnt have a good life but was good in all aspects

When I got to the house I fell in love with her big brown eyes and she kept following me and didnt take her eyes off me!
She then sat on my feet!
Her owners said she never does this and it was a sign, lol.

If only she could have spoken she meant " I like you pleeease get me out of here!).

I did let my heart overrule my head a bit as by then I had realised she had more problems than they had first told me.....but she is MY baby... and I know she knows I rescued her and gave her a better life.
I couldnt love her anymore

Great thread by the way Hali x

To add; I call her a rescue as she must have been mistreated in more ways i can imagine
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-10-2008, 03:16 PM
I started walking dogs at the RGT to see about getting some work experience there... My mum was like 'we are NOT having a dog' but after the first pair of dogs we walked (Ranger and Raymond, they were lovely ) she said she wanted one
Originally I liked Jobie's kennel mate Whisky, but she had SA quite badly... It ended up as a tie between Jobie and Nellie. I loved Nellie, we were going to have her right up until we had our homecheck but she was quite fiesty and she'd been in a few homes already so we decided to err on the side of caution and go with Jubber. Absolutely noone had enquired about him in the 6 months he'd been there, they were about to send him to a different rescue in fact everyone wants pretty light coloured young bitches and he's the opposite so it figures but it's their loss, he's got such a good nature (and Nellie found a good home eventually too )
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2008, 03:51 PM
Bryan was chosen for us by Dog's Trust We went round the kennels and saw a few dogs we liked the look of, but they were all unsuitable apparently.

So we said 'Which dog do you think is suitable for us?' and they brought Bryan out. He'd only been there for a few days and hadn't gone into the 'viewing' kennels yet.

They got it spot on as well - he's a great dog and I love him to bits
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2008, 04:03 PM
I was forstering for the rescue and was caring for a little Yorkie with a broken leg - he had to go in for another operation and I went on Holiday. When I got back I decided to go back down to the rescue and get him back till he had a home to go to. By the time I got there he had gone to a home in another country!

Whilst I was there, I decided to walk a few of the dogs, Petto being one of them! He was sat at the back of the cage shaking, I thought poor little love, so arranged I would foster him! After a while, he stole our hearts and couldn't bear to part with him, alas he's here to stay!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2008, 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
Our latest I just saw a picture of him on a website and fell in love ! Luckily he fitted in perfectly with our little clan and is now inseparable from our Mollie dog.
Aww. The websites are becoming more and more important to the rescue centres aren't they

Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
It's funny the way something just draws you to them when you're not even looking.
Well, I can't say I wasn't looking, but I do know what you mean. I think its also really nice to see that throughout the thread we've all picked quite different dogs and for different reasons. Gives me hope that there is someone out there for all the different types of dogs in rescue.

Originally Posted by honeysmummy View Post
She then sat on my feet!

Another case of her picking you, I feel

Great thread by the way Hali x

Thank you

To add; I call her a rescue as she must have been mistreated in more ways i can imagine

that's so sad, but at least its all behind her now.
Originally Posted by Reisu View Post
but it's their loss, he's got such a good nature
I think that's a sentiment that is so common with people that have rescues - how someone could have given them up in the first place and how everyone else overlooked them.

Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
Bryan was chosen for us by Dog's Trust
Must admit, I've never had that experience with rescues (never had one from the Dog's Trust). Its lovely to hear that they did such a good 'matching' job
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2008, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by shaza View Post
I was forstering for the rescue and was caring for a little Yorkie with a broken leg - he had to go in for another operation and I went on Holiday. When I got back I decided to go back down to the rescue and get him back till he had a home to go to. By the time I got there he had gone to a home in another country!

Whilst I was there, I decided to walk a few of the dogs, Petto being one of them! He was sat at the back of the cage shaking, I thought poor little love, so arranged I would foster him! After a while, he stole our hearts and couldn't bear to part with him, alas he's here to stay!
I remember you getting Petto. It was clearly fate that the little yorkie had gone - sweet as the yorkie was, I have always thought that Petto seemed to belong in your family from the very first photos you posted.
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2008, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
I remember you getting Petto. It was clearly fate that the little yorkie had gone - sweet as the yorkie was, I have always thought that Petto seemed to belong in your family from the very first photos you posted.
Thanks Fiona, he certainly does! He's even got his passport now as we may be returning to England for 12 months not to sure what he will make of the weather there!
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2008, 04:20 PM
I went to various rescue centres looking to get a medium sized black female mongrel . You would think that would be easy enought to get but there were none
On one of the visits I saw a lovelyfawn and white rough coated lurcher . I stood and watched her for ages as I had other dogs and I wanted to get the right dog to fit in to our house . She had what I call a " kind eye " we took her home and we have had her for 10 years now and she is a perfect dog in every way , we call her Lizzie .

Te second rescue we got my daughter saw while she was on work experience at the local cat and dog home . She was a beautiful little whippet who had been there for ages .
She was emaciated and terrified , we especially like whippets and she came home to stay . We called her Zoe .

Our third rescue dog is whippet who we were asked to take . We got her on the day she was to be PTS .
She weighed 18kg and now she weighs 12kg . She was 8 years old and wasn't even housetrained as she had lived in kennels all her life . We have had her for 4 years and her name is Dina .
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2008, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by shaza View Post
not to sure what he will make of the weather there!

not sure what you'll think of it either . I don't know how long you've been out there, but we certainly don't seem to have the summers like we used to

Originally Posted by Fernsmum View Post
I went to various rescue centres looking to get a medium sized black female mongrel . You would think that would be easy enought to get but there were none

I would have thought there would have been plenty of these as well - I'm always hearing that black mongrels are the ones that always get overlooked. Still, it turned out well for you, and particularly for Lizzie.

Zoe & Dina sound lovely too

ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2008, 04:39 PM
I think they find you, rather than the other way round - you just look at the dog and know she or he is yours. With all of mine - rescues, rehomes and strays - there wasn`t a choice really - one look into their eyes was enough.
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >