Our sister sites
Our sister sites
BullseyesTail
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-02-2011, 03:46 PM

Training A Blind Dog

Anyone ever trained a blind dog?

My little girl had PLL (primary lens luxation) aged 4 and had the lenses removed from her eyes. Which means she is not totally 'blind' but can't see a great deal. (Sort of shadows and blurs is what the vets told us at the time).

She was already trained when I got her, aged 2.

But there's a couple of things I'd love her to be able to do (Like 'leave' or 'off'). Anyone ever trained a blind dog?
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

07-02-2011, 09:34 PM
Growing up we had a huntaway x collie, when she was old she got diabetese and went blind.

She already new commands ect and coped extremely well. I found sit was better than recall as it meant you could go and get her instead of her trying (and failing) to find you. Having other dogs helped, both in terms of social interaction with strangers and could follow them ect.

With leave off I would teach it as follows.

Food in your hand, let her eat several pieces.

Say ''leave'' and close your hand

Keep it closed until she backs off and stops trying to eat the food. Then praise, open your hand and resume feeding her.

You can progress to food on the floor that you cover with your foot when you say off and take it from there. Really with this you are ustilising her sense of smell and hearing, the closed hand just stops her eating the food.

Just to add, many people use target sticksa with blind dogs as they can follow it easy and you don't have to bend down, might be good for place/heel/stay (just leave the target and her there)

Adam
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 10:59 PM
I'd teach the 'leave' in much the same way with a blind dog.

Remember to make your verbal cues very clear and short because they will be easier for her to understand. Blind dogs cope extremely well - most of the time people don't believe they are blind because they manage so very well. Dogs are far better at coping with handicap than humans are.

Good luck with her. Let us know how you get on with your 'leave' training