Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 05:33 PM

Please ,please can anyone help

My dog often barks or grumbles at noises outside but today am worn out with it all and am now a nervous wreck. It's very windy here and the day started with her going'wild' on our morning walk, know that wind can make them giddy but she was back on lead twice. Has been barking at all the noises outside, i put the radio n tv on(different rooms) as a distraction, had bit of game n then went for another walk this afternoon. Came home she would still bark, nearly making me jump out my skin. I did in the end put her in the kitchen(twice) once because on phone n didn't know what to do, i felt bad but seemed best way(for us both). Am now just sat in tears n we're just making each other nervous i think. Please can anyone help, (i know i'm a pain)
Many thanks.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

07-02-2011, 05:43 PM
I can't seem to find what type of dog you have in your profile.

Do you know about the 'Ten Dog barks' I always think it helps to know what 'type' of bark they are using.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post

Do you know about the 'Ten Dog barks' I always think it helps to know what 'type' of bark they are using.
I have never heard of the ten dog barks Losos. Could you start a thread on it?

As for the wind I have a dog that is terrified and so tries to sit on my head etc.....I can't even walk her when it is very windy as she is too fearful.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

07-02-2011, 05:57 PM
I can only suggest when dog barks tell it quiet immediately she is quiet treat and if you can try to keep it up it may help her to eventually learn the word quiet.

Ollie can be a bit jumpy he has just started barking at things again after being so quiet with being ill. His bark is high pitched and almost hysterical now.

I really did find as annoying as the barking can be to ignore it and move around and speak quietly and like I said when quiet say quiet and treat it did help Ollie.

I hope it helps or any other suggestions that may come along help.
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 06:00 PM
Thankyou back soon,daughter on phone x
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 06:18 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post

Thankyou Losos, she is a terrier x. I know there are different barks but not of the ten. This is like what i would say an 'alert to unknown activity bark' but sayin that sh'es been here for other three years n would of thought should be used to everday noises by now. I don't shout at her or anything.
Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
I have never heard of the ten dog barks Losos. Could you start a thread on it?

As for the wind I have a dog that is terrified and so tries to sit on my head etc.....I can't even walk her when it is very windy as she is too fearful.
Thankyou, am sorry your dog is fearful Fudgeley, it does seem to make them out of sorts.

Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
I can only suggest when dog barks tell it quiet immediately she is quiet treat and if you can try to keep it up it may help her to eventually learn the word quiet.

Ollie can be a bit jumpy he has just started barking at things again after being so quiet with being ill. His bark is high pitched and almost hysterical now.

I really did find as annoying as the barking can be to ignore it and move around and speak quietly and like I said when quiet say quiet and treat it did help Ollie.

I hope it helps or any other suggestions that may come along help.
Thanks Lynn, have tried the 'quiet n treat' since she's been here, is my failing but not working I hope Ollie is doing ok x

Some one else on phone now, apologies to all x
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 06:25 PM
If it's any consolation, the other night (around two in the morn ) the wind was making something outside rattle ever so slightly - Dexter went beserk. Barking, growling, hackles up. Nothing I could do to stop the sound as it was coming from someone else's property, but Dex was really unhappy.

In the end I could not calm him down so had to let him jump up onto my bed. He grumbled for another fifteen minutes, then settled down and went to sleep.

I can totally appreciate that your nerves feel 'jangled' with the constant barking of your dog - have you tried distracting with a favourite toy or a lively game?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 06:50 PM
How about a bit of lateral thinking?
I think a calmer regime would be beneficial for both of you? Maybe you could wear earphones and listen to something gentle when she`s manic. And get a DAP diffuser.
Chews are good.
I knew a woman whose GSD always had a large toy in his mouth - even whan doing agility. He was a very vocal dog and that was the way she stopped him.
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
If it's any consolation, the other night (around two in the morn ) the wind was making something outside rattle ever so slightly - Dexter went beserk. Barking, growling, hackles up. Nothing I could do to stop the sound as it was coming from someone else's property, but Dex was really unhappy.

In the end I could not calm him down so had to let him jump up onto my bed. He grumbled for another fifteen minutes, then settled down and went to sleep.

I can totally appreciate that your nerves feel 'jangled' with the constant barking of your dog - have you tried distracting with a favourite toy or a lively game?
Thankyou, am sorry Dexter n other dogs are unsettled with it all too, i have tried games etc. n she's had two good walks, has settled down for now, think is pooped out from it all.

We now have an elderly relative in hospital, very frail n not looking good There a folks n their animals lot worse off n i think of them all, what a day x
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 06:57 PM
Difficult one as the more stressed you get the more the dog will get agitated, as you said. I think even if you put TV or radio on they can hear the wind and other noises above that and then you not only have to contend with the barking but the noisy TV and radio as well Distraction is also sometimes difficult as problem keeping their attention.

You have got to take some deep breaths and calm down (I know, easier said than done) If she sees you are relaxed and as Lynn said, talking quietly to her, may help. Sorry I am not much use here but feel your tension
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >