View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2010, 12:38 PM
Hiya I have a Ford Fusion and its a lovely drive same set up as the fiesta justa higher base or something but easy access you sit on not sit down into it...brought it a lot because of transporting my elderly parents 81 and 79 now and Mom's dicky back...one irritation to me is although seats do go down they do not go flat estate wise but like a Step but loads of room. Lovely lovey drive very very comfortable long distances adn from B'ham to Lands End Cornwall and up to Scotland no problems driving at all.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2010, 12:58 PM
Focus estates here, both me and the other half have one each, which makes 3 we've had, very rarely go wrong and when they do cheap to fix
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2010, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by inkliveeva View Post
I recently got a Subaru legacy and love it ...insurance wise though it'd probs cost you a fortune and fuel economy isn't that great either but I love it xx
maybe in a few years wheh my insurance goes down

Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Golf hatchbacks are great. Reliable, nice size, not overly expensive and very easy to get hold of second hand, good boot space, great first car. You'd fit a German Shepherd in the back no probs. I can fit my Lab and Slovak in there easy.

I also have my little Citroen Saxo and still manage to squeeze them in...Lab on the backseat in a harness and Slovie in the boot.
hmm didn't think of a golf, love the new ones. ill have a look at some

Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I've got an Astra estate too (1) because they are sooooo reliable (I'm on my 5th one now, and none of them have ever needed any repairs or work for their mot and they've all been old!) (2) because 2 big dogs fit very comfortably in the back with the seats down (3) because even if I wanted the back seats up, the dogs would still fit in behind (4) because they are lovely cars to drive and (5) because they are low for the dogs to jump in and out of, and I've gotta think of my old boy who's not so agile on his feet!

You couldn't go far wrong with one of these! My current one is on a V, it's the top of the range (1.8 16valve) so plenty of oomph, and it only cost £1200! Bargain!
wow that was a bargain, did you get it private or from a dealer?
alot of people had reccomended astras...its just trying to find a bargain like u did lol and also do they come in a 1.4?

Originally Posted by Stumpywop View Post
Hi,

I driv e a Hyundai matrix (1.6L) which has enough space in the boot for one dog. My big GSD, Zane can just abou fit but he wouldn't be able to turn around so the boot on it's own isn't suitable for a large dog. I tend to put down the larger part of the back seat (so I still have room for 1 passenger in the back).

Alternatively, I have put down both sides ofthe back seats when I've had 2 or 3 of the dogs in the car. But it isn't big enough for all 4 of them. This isn't a problem because I don't take all 4 out at the same time anyway. So it depends on where you want to take him and who or what else you're likely to have in the car with you at the time.

Why not have a look around some showrooms to get an idea of what's on the market. You can see them up close, sit in them, take pictures so you can remember what they look like, even take a crate with you to make sure it fits etc.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Laura xx
thats a good idea, i might go down available car just check out the boot sizes, what there like etc...thanks

Originally Posted by Kazz View Post
Hiya I have a Ford Fusion and its a lovely drive same set up as the fiesta justa higher base or something but easy access you sit on not sit down into it...brought it a lot because of transporting my elderly parents 81 and 79 now and Mom's dicky back...one irritation to me is although seats do go down they do not go flat estate wise but like a Step but loads of room. Lovely lovey drive very very comfortable long distances adn from B'ham to Lands End Cornwall and up to Scotland no problems driving at all.
i have heard all good things about these cars but unfortunately there out of my price range maybe in a few years time when there abit older lol

Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post
Focus estates here, both me and the other half have one each, which makes 3 we've had, very rarely go wrong and when they do cheap to fix
are they good on petrol?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2010, 02:49 PM
Originally Posted by kirsty_ View Post
maybe in a few years wheh my insurance goes down

hmm didn't think of a golf, love the new ones. ill have a look at some

alot of people had reccomended astras...its just trying to find a bargain like u did lol and also do they come in a 1.4?

thats a good idea, i might go down available car just check out the boot sizes, what there like etc...thanks

i have heard all good things about these cars but unfortunately there out of my price range maybe in a few years time when there abit older lol

are they good on petrol?
I dunno about the new ones Kirsty...the one we have is the older model, like this:

Check Autotrader...you can get these for a great price now.
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2010, 02:53 PM
what year is the one you've got? i like the look of the one on the pic
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2010, 03:16 PM
what year is the one you've got? i like the look of the one on the pic
2000 I believe!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2010, 04:31 PM

are they good on petrol?

Yes, my previous one was a 1.4 I think. All of them have been well over 100 miles on the clock, but hubby never minded that because he said they are always so reliable anyway and cheap to fix (he owns a garage does hubby!) I wouldn't recommend the diesel, I had that one too, and it was sooooo sluggish even though it was the TD! This one is the best yet, but hubby said the reason it was so cheap, is because it's the top of the range, biggest engine so a gas guzzler, but quite honestly, I haven't noticed that tbh, and therefore, he said not many people wanted this particular model that I've got because of the engine size.

I just searched locally, and up it popped, and I liked the colour (it's a lovely dark blue!) you know, the way women shop for cars, by colour lol! Two hours later, hubby came home in it, coz I did a deal with the guy over the phone for my horrible Volvo V40 that Dave had got me for Christmas which I hated with a passion, it was like driving a toy car, much too light for me, I like something solid and beefy like the Astra is!

Why don't you go around some car sales places and try out different cars, they're always so willing to take you out in one if they think they're going to get a sale, but if you don't like the drive or the space in the back, then you walk away! Good luck
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-04-2010, 05:14 PM
Ford Focus hatch are good. But a little estate is better. Either a Focus Estate or a Golf Estate are fine. I currently have a Golf Estate and I love it. I looked at the Golf Hatch, but did not think it was roomy enough for two large dogs.
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-04-2010, 05:33 PM
Pergeot Partner Combi (same as Citreon Berlingo)........perfect!

Takes up less floor space than our old estate, seats fold right up so the back is like a van (but still plenty of room in the boot if you need the seats up). Washable floor in the back....

...and it counts as a van so insurance is cheap
loufoxyloxy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-04-2010, 09:29 PM
hi ive just got a new vauxhall astra 1.4 it easily fits ruby (a rottie ) in the boot with room to turned around and stretch out in
just to give you an idea of insurance my car is 10 plate, ive been driving for just over 5 years and have 2 years no claims the rest of the time was as a named driver on my mums insurance ( with no claims ) and i pay around £120 per month for fully comperhensive insurance (one of the cheapest i could find with good level of cover )
hope this helps
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >