Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2010, 10:25 AM

A car thats good for dogs...help please

well i passed my driving test last september and i had been learning in a little old corsa and its a great car but duke my gsd obviously cant fit in the boot so has to go on the back seat!! im now looking for something bigger, but not too big as my insurance in high enough lol. any ideas as to what make has a good size boot, ive looked into estates but is there any hatchbacks with a decent size boot too
thanks
kazer
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-04-2010, 10:31 AM
We had a corsa up until three weeks ago and had to take the back seat out to get the dogs in so know what a squeeze it is! But then no-one else would be able to come out with us.

I know this won't help but we now have an astra estate and they have loads of room, we drop part of the split back seat so can still use the seat and they have room.

We did look at the Ford Focus but went for an estate with having two dogs.
kevin82
Dogsey Junior
Male 

30-04-2010, 10:32 AM
I deal with cars every day.

The best small car for the job is a Ford Fusion. Square boot, high roof and generally a nice car to drive.

a little bigger you have the Vauxhall Meriva, but not as nice to drive

a little bigger again is the renault kangoo. We convert these to wheelchair accessibles and they are great to drive. Whats more you have plenty of space in the back.

to get a big enough car without the added height you start looking at estates which just get longer and are thirstier on fuel due to increased weight

Kev
kevin82
Dogsey Junior
Male 

30-04-2010, 10:34 AM
Originally Posted by kazer View Post
ford focus estate?
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2010, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by kazer View Post
We had a corsa up until three weeks ago and had to take the back seat out to get the dogs in so know what a squeeze it is! But then no-one else would be able to come out with us.

I know this won't help but we now have an astra estate and they have loads of room, we drop part of the split back seat so can still use the seat and they have room.

i looked at astra estates and they would be perfect, i would prefer a 1.4litre though else my insurance will go too high, ive been looking but most are 1.6+

Originally Posted by kevin82 View Post
I deal with cars every day.

The best small car for the job is a Ford Fusion. Square boot, high roof and generally a nice car to drive.

a little bigger you have the Vauxhall Meriva, but not as nice to drive

a little bigger again is the renault kangoo. We convert these to wheelchair accessibles and they are great to drive. Whats more you have plenty of space in the back.

to get a big enough car without the added height you start looking at estates which just get longer and are thirstier on fuel due to increased weight

Kev
are the ford fusion a new car, what would be the oldest i could get?? my budget is not great lol

thanks for the info both
kazer
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-04-2010, 10:38 AM
Originally Posted by kevin82 View Post
ford focus estate?
sorry should have said we ended up with an astra estate instead!
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2010, 11:41 AM
I recently got a Subaru legacy and love it ...insurance wise though it'd probs cost you a fortune and fuel economy isn't that great either but I love it xx
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2010, 11:52 AM
Golf hatchbacks are great. Reliable, nice size, not overly expensive and very easy to get hold of second hand, good boot space, great first car. You'd fit a German Shepherd in the back no probs. I can fit my Lab and Slovak in there easy.

I also have my little Citroen Saxo and still manage to squeeze them in...Lab on the backseat in a harness and Slovie in the boot.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2010, 12:22 PM
I've got an Astra estate too (1) because they are sooooo reliable (I'm on my 5th one now, and none of them have ever needed any repairs or work for their mot and they've all been old!) (2) because 2 big dogs fit very comfortably in the back with the seats down (3) because even if I wanted the back seats up, the dogs would still fit in behind (4) because they are lovely cars to drive and (5) because they are low for the dogs to jump in and out of, and I've gotta think of my old boy who's not so agile on his feet!

You couldn't go far wrong with one of these! My current one is on a V, it's the top of the range (1.8 16valve) so plenty of oomph, and it only cost £1200! Bargain!
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2010, 12:29 PM
Hi,

I driv e a Hyundai matrix (1.6L) which has enough space in the boot for one dog. My big GSD, Zane can just abou fit but he wouldn't be able to turn around so the boot on it's own isn't suitable for a large dog. I tend to put down the larger part of the back seat (so I still have room for 1 passenger in the back).

Alternatively, I have put down both sides ofthe back seats when I've had 2 or 3 of the dogs in the car. But it isn't big enough for all 4 of them. This isn't a problem because I don't take all 4 out at the same time anyway. So it depends on where you want to take him and who or what else you're likely to have in the car with you at the time.

Why not have a look around some showrooms to get an idea of what's on the market. You can see them up close, sit in them, take pictures so you can remember what they look like, even take a crate with you to make sure it fits etc.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Laura xx
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »