View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lornahill
New Member!
Female 

05-10-2009, 09:25 AM

Hello. I'm new to the Dogsey Webste (overshot jaw)

Can anyone give me advice on overshot jaw? We just took our Weimaraner puppy to the vet for his 2nd jab, having picked him up from the breeder two weeks ago, and the vet informed us that he had over shot jaw. Which to him, was quite a negative thing. But on reading a google post, it mentions that the bottom jaw can still keep on growing longer than the top jaw, and this can sometimes correct the problem. So I'm not quite sure what to think. Should I be contacting the breeder to let them know? we paid a lot of money for this dog.
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2009, 09:50 AM
Hi welcome to Dogsey
I would certainly let the breeder know as this is a fault. It might be as he grows it will correct itself, but may still be overshot.
He will be able to eat and be a normal dog, my spanial has an undershot jaw and is fine.
It will affect him if you intended to show him or use him for stud.
But if he is going to be just a pet, it should not be any problem.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2009, 10:39 AM
Definitely let the Breeder know! Any good Breeder would want to know this information.

From what I've heard undershot jaws are not so much of a problem as overshot.

It's early days and it could correct itself but from information I've read on this subject, more often than not it doesn't get much better.

So long as he's a pet (not for show or breeding) and it doesn't affect him eating (which I doubt from what you've said) then not too much of a worry but DEFINITELY let the Breeder know and keep her/him informed of how this problem progresses.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2009, 12:10 PM
By overshot I take it you mean the top jaw is protruding significantly over the bottom jaw? and not the other way round which would be undershot?

Overshot jaws will improve as the dog grows, they dont get any worse as the bottom jaw will grow slightly, although it wont be ever correct. Undershot puppy jaws always get worse. either way, unless extreme it wont worry your dog, but you should inform the breeder.