Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sweep
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2005, 09:03 AM

Knee op ?

Anyone had a cartlidge op on their knee? How long were you off work?

My OH goes in to Hospital on Wednesday for his. His work are being a real pain too, saying that they can't spare him etc and for him to come straight back to work as they have no cover!!! TOUGH is my opinion! He is away doing week of night shifts at the mo, he comes in on Wednesday morning after being up all night(they wont let him off earlier)has to travel to London for op to be in Hospital same day at 2pm.............the op is on the Thurday and Home hopefully on the Friday, we aren't sure if it will just be keyhole surgery until they do op, but if they end up doing open surgery that will mean him being on crutches, even so his work expect him to return to his 'week on' next wednesday, 6days after op!
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-06-2005, 09:07 AM
all the best
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2005, 09:11 AM
Make sure he gets a sick note from his doctor, to say he needs time to re-coup after the op.
AT least that way he can prove it to his work!
scotbun1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2005, 09:12 AM
I've had it done Sheena. It was done by keyhole but still quite sore. I agrre with you about his work TOUGH. He'll be in a couple of days and then need about a week to recover. They pump air into the knee so they can work in there better so it will be swollen.
Good luck for thursday though
Tracie
mand p
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2005, 09:43 AM
Gosh! Hope all goes well for your OH

As far as employers go, yes its tough ...nothing they can do about it and it's not your OH's prob if they don't have cover. Oooooh makes me so mad that they can put pressure on people to get back to work fast. If I were him I'd milk it for all it was worth (not saying that its not bad enough though )and stay off as long as I could...legally there is nothing they can do and If he loses his job, he would win at a tribunal....they don't take too kindly to that kind of bully mentality
Sweep
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2005, 09:52 AM
Thanks guys He is never off work, I too honest can't see him going back for the following wednesday, he will had to recover and his job envolves him being on his feet most of the time - agree that the Hospital will say how long to stay off and he will need a sick note too. He has had it done before but quite sometime ago so we couldn't remember the time scale.
Now that he is doing a new Shift system he doesn't get Holiday, otherwise had they been on the old system he would have taken Holiday Leave, they would have had more cover then as they have made redundancies now.
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2005, 09:55 AM
sweep my eldest daughter had that done by key hole surgery a while ago
but it was at least a week/week and a half before she could go back to work

hope it all goe,s well for your for OH
jake
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2005, 01:29 PM
I had it done by keyhole surgery too. But I was 19 at the time and a student therefore not at work. It was very painful afterwards but if you keep up with the excercises they give you to do you recover a lot quicker. I think it took me about a week. Wish him luck from me though
Sweep
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2005, 01:32 PM
Well my thinking is if he was off that week he should be working, he then goes into his week off again, hope that makes sense, I do worry about him :smt049
jake
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2005, 01:40 PM
aww he'll be fine don't worry xxx