Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mummysboy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-06-2006, 09:52 PM

Arthritis? Advice please.

Hi, I'm sorry I haven't posted for a while. This is going to be a long one! As you will know from my previous posts I have an 8 year old retriever (who is a recovering colitis sufferer)! He now has a another worrying problem. Around 2 weeks ago, he was chasing my lab around and they subsequently received injuries! My lab had a tail injury for which he recieved anti-inflammatories from the vet and my golden developed a limp (back left leg) something I thought would eventually go away, as he has done this before. Two weeks on he is definately finding it hard to do our usual walk (doesn't whince though) he is throwing his leg slightly out and holds it up occasionally. Me and hubby have thoroughly inspected his paw for grass seeds etc but it's clear. Sorry, are you still reading this? Anyway during the last week after a friends suggestion it might be arthritis I have been giving him liquid glucosamine (Flexicose).

Basically I need to know should I give the Flexicose more time to see if it eases his leg or take him to the vet. (Probably to be told to give him what I'm giving him)! Many thanks.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-06-2006, 10:32 PM
Hi Mummysboy sorry to hear your two have been in the wars, tails are a devil to heal once they get injured.

Regarding the arthritis, not so sure..throwing the leg out sounds more like a joint problem. Personally I really would want it checked out by the vet to determine the cause .

The glucosamine is ok and for now I would try to minimise discomfort by letting your dog have only short walks at his own pace preferably on soft ground.

I hope he recovers soon without the need for too much treatment
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2006, 11:00 PM
Hi, I think perhaps you should see your vet. It could be a torn cruciate ligament. If so it will be painful and will need surgery to correct it.

Let us know how you get on.
mummysboy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-06-2006, 05:33 AM
Thanks both for your time to reply. I will take him to the vets and let you know how we get on.
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2006, 07:42 AM
good luck at the vet's xxx
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2006, 10:16 AM
got to agree with the others,vets the sooner a ligament injury is seen to the better chance of a good recovery i hope he is o.k
gundog annie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-06-2006, 03:07 PM
HI there

Just wanted to add that I completely agree with the others on this one. I think it does sound like a joint thingy so best looked at by the vet who may prescribe anti-inflammatories.

Regarding glucosamine. This is better absorbed in dogs if it is used in the combination of glucosamine and chondroitin. It seems to help more. You can buy this readily at the chemists.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards
Annie
mummysboy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-06-2006, 04:00 PM
Hi Gundog annie, thanks for your reply. I am actually using superior quality glucosamine with chonroitin & MSM Complex (syrup). I hear this is the best way you can administer this supplement as it is more concentrated than the tablet form. Vets appt is tonight so I will update later. Many thanks for all your replies.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-06-2006, 04:12 PM
Hi mummysboy I understand 'superior quality glucosamine with chonroitin & MSM Complex (syrup).'is a good one to use .

I hope all goes well at the vets and that the problem proves to be a minor thing
gundog annie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-06-2006, 04:53 PM
Hi there

I hope the injury proves to be minor.

Good luck
Annie
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >