Our sister sites
Our sister sites
spangle
New Member!
Male 

07-12-2008, 11:14 PM

Idiopathic Vestibular Syndrome – Medical Research

IDIOPATHIC VESTIBULAR SYNDROME – MEDICAL RESEARCH

Has your dog been diagnosed with Idiopathic Vestibular Syndrome?

In May this year my English Springer Spaniel had his first episode, he was referred by my Vet to a Small Animal Hospital with suspected brain tumor. Thorough investigation and MRI scan failed to detect any tumor although a cyst was found on his pituitary gland. He was released with the diagnosis being IDIOPATHIC VESTIBULAR SYNDROME and HORNERS DISEASE. Since then he has had a further four episodes, recovering from each one within a week or two. His last episode being quite severe, he was off his feet for several days having to be hand fed, and catheterized. Today, aged fourteen and a half, he is still slightly wobbly on his feet, although this may be down to his arthritis, but more or less back to the happy chap he normally is.

For some time now I have been attempting to find others who have experienced similar, through posts on Web forums I have discovered others who have been in a similar situation. Peter and Maureen Caulfield have had first hand experience of dealing with this condition from their own pet Meg, very sadly Meg passed some weeks ago (not from IVS). Having learned of a high number of similar cases, they have been actively involved in researching IVS and have approached many Universities in an attempt to ignite medical research into this condition, from their hard work and tireless efforts they have been in contact with a Professor of Neurology at Cambridge University who is interested in conducting some research into this condition. For this, input is needed from as many sources as possible to aid research. In order to drive forward this research data is required from owners of pets who have suffered from this condition.

The information needed should include:

Pet Breed, Sex and Age
Any known medical conditions of your pet i.e. Heart murmur, Arthritis etc
Any impairments from episodes i.e. Balance, hearing, vocal, sight, head, appetite, head tilt etc
The period between attacks i.e. The period between first and second and so on
The treatment/medication given to your pet

Effectively as much information as possible!

Typically this condition involves your pet being wobbly on their feet, dizzy, the head tilts, the pet can circle when on their feet, sickness, diarrhea, nystagmus (eye flickering horizontally)

If you are able to help please forward details to Peter and Maureen who are co-ordinating all data to forward to Cambridge, they can be contacted via email (petercaulfield@msn.com).

Meantime, I’d be only too happy to discuss my pets recovery and episodes with any others who have experienced similar, one thing I have learnt is that not only is this condition stressful to your pet, but indeed yourself.

Thank you for reading and we hope you can help,

David Scott
scruffydog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-12-2008, 11:36 PM
is it old dog vestiblular syndrome?
spangle
New Member!
Male 

07-12-2008, 11:42 PM
Yes, it has many different terms, but the common one appears to be IVS (idiopathic vestibular syndrome)
scruffydog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-12-2008, 11:51 PM
ok cause my jasper was diagnosed with it this year.
spangle
New Member!
Male 

08-12-2008, 12:03 AM
I'm sorry to hear that, it can be quite distressing. If you can help in any way please contact Peter at the email address on the post. We are trying to get as much data as we can to forward to the university so they can research this area more, at this moment as your probably aware there is little information on how to treat this.

Many thanks
mandy252
New Member!
Female 

24-06-2009, 01:11 AM
I realize this thread is months old, but I would like to add my input regarding this matter.

My 13.5 yr old labrador had suddenly came down with all the symptoms 5 days ago.

Rapid eye movements
Head tilt
Can only walk with our aid (leans to one side)
Only drinks with my help (side of bowl)
Is eating and drinking okay though.
Is going to the bathroom okay, with our help.

The rapid eye movements finally almost stopped 4 days after, she's now sitting up and getting up and walking (unsteady but by herself). (I stand by her side to ensure she don't fall, but we both go with her outside).

We used a towel under her tummy towards her back legs for support while going outside for bathroom breaks, this seems to help, while leaning on me while she walked.
(keeping in mind she's 92lbs)

Anyway, on the 4th day I took her to the vet and he said he couldn't 100% tell what was wrong (he said anything from a brain tumor or stroke). I handed him a writeup about the Vestibular Syndrome and explained she had ALL the symptoms described.

We got her antibiotics, apo-amoxi. She's had 3 doses so far and we'd say she's about 60% better so far.

I've sent an email to Peter and Maureen.

I guess my question is this.
My dog has severe arthritis to begin with.
Now that she's sitting, and walking..should I be encouraging her to walk more than just to go to the bathroom, should I be massaging her hips and legs to increase circulation?

She's been almost bed ridden (other than bathroom breaks) for 5 days and she's stiff I'm sure.

Just curious as to how to keep her on the path to recovery, whether it be continued rest or slowly increasing her activity.

If anyone is experiencing or has experienced this, I'd be happy to be in contact with them.

Hope to hear from someone.
Jennifer
mandy25@kent.net