View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2006, 09:22 AM
I also admire your post Joedee, and personally believe that that is a good thing you are doing for those dogs.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2006, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by AllBreeds View Post
I am shocked. and people question why I won't send my dogs onto breed rescues.
I agree with spaying a pregnant bitch pre 6weeks but to kill pups once they have been born - sorry I can't see how you can class yourself as a rescue
So you would have an malnourished on the point of death bitch raise 12 puppies would you ? (she was too close to whelping to spay)This particular bitch was 8 months old in whelp to a mastiff) The bitch would not have been able to rear the puppies leaving the rescue to hand rear all the puppies & then find home for them Next time we get a bitch in like this can we send her to you ? & would you pay the vet bills for the bitch(who had to have a c section(& had to be spayed due to the womb damage caused by the puppies) the puppies were so big The C section cost £300+ & then who would have had the puppies ?

You are looking from the outside where it is so easy to say whelp the bitch & "rehome" the puppies like the RSPCA & Dogs Trust do. Then what happens when the puppies get ill or develop health problems ? who is held resposible The rescue of course

No one likes killing puppies but we do so with the consent of the vet who knows too well what puppies will develop into if the mother has been malnourished during pregnancy as well as unknown health status of the parents

Sorry you have no idea of what being involved in rescue is really like
spot
Dogsey Veteran

24-11-2006, 09:42 AM
But again that is totally different to deliberately breeding a litter know it would be a large one and knowing full well that you were going to kill the vast majority as you only wanted one or two puppies!

I find it very sad that rescues feel the need to put each other down, isnt there enough of that already.
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2006, 09:43 AM
I think we're starting to broaden out on the original post here, the post was regards culling puppies, if we drag every animal into it, this thread is going to be very long. The issue in question was the culling of dogs. If we start on farm animals then I could go all day on it as I work for a charity that deals with all of them. It's like bringing sheep into the docking issue etc.
I find JoeDeeUK post was an interesting read. Some rescues do have to make difficult decisions, one that they are put in by some irresponsible person. I think if the pups are at risk of having something from the mother as the one Joedee descriped being eppileptic then you have to make a hard decision as these types of dogs are hard to home as they have to go to very special people and can require a lifetime of medical care.
I also think and from everyone I know that has bred a litter that if things don't go as they should, it's save the bitch every time over the puppies which I can understand. It's the bitch first that you have bonded with and love.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2006, 10:37 AM
Milk is milk it comes from Cows who are repeatedly put in calf and that calf taken away as soon as it is born and is either raised for more milk production or shot or exported for veal.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2006, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by Hewey View Post
I am not a vegetarian. The reason why I mention it is to explain the logic behind my point of view. A vegetarian may argue that we have no need of dairy products but I think we would both reject that and say that is their opinion but we do not share it and it is acceptable when welfare isues are observed to the best of our abilities.
You say he did not need to create this situation but I do not think either of us know what his particular needs for a working dog were or his particular experience would be in finding appropriate homes for the very large number in the litter so I think we have to allow him his opinion as to the what was required.
Miles behind in this thread, sorry, but wanted to comment on this one.

Many people feel that milk etc is part of eating healthily so that they will survive (not saying I agree with it but it is a fact!) but I don't think that can be compared with someone's "need" for producing a litter of pups where most were unwanted

Unless anyone's needs for a working dog are related to his or her own life or death, the very idea of "need" and what is needed should be questioned

I think this guy probably wanted, rather than needed.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2006, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Miles behind in this thread, sorry, but wanted to comment on this one.

Many people feel that milk etc is part of eating healthily so that they will survive (not saying I agree with it but it is a fact!) but I don't think that can be compared with someone's "need" for producing a litter of pups where most were unwanted

Unless anyone's needs for a working dog are related to his or her own life or death, the very idea of "need" and what is needed should be questioned

I think this guy probably wanted, rather than needed.
Hi Wysiwig.
I dont think any of us thinks we need milk, we just like it. Its like everything else we all have double standards, we are all hypocrites, some dont like animal testing but reach for nurofen when they have a headache, and take the dog to the vet if its ill, they give them drugs that other dogs have died testing, as per the nurofen. I think we all see things differently, nobody is perfect and we it would be incredibly boring if everybody was the same as eachother.
Dawn.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2006, 02:23 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Hi Wysiwig.
I dont think any of us thinks we need milk, we just like it. Its like everything else we all have double standards, we are all hypocrites, some dont like animal testing but reach for nurofen when they have a headache, and take the dog to the vet if its ill, they give them drugs that other dogs have died testing, as per the nurofen. I think we all see things differently, nobody is perfect and we it would be incredibly boring if everybody was the same as eachother.
Dawn.
Hi Dawn

I do agree with a lot of what you say there, it can't be denied. I for one am against animal testing but I am sure do take medication that has been tested. Even if we try to avoid anything animal tested, or anything that has caused an animal to suffer, it's not always possible.

I think many of us do try. I drink milk (no actually I lie, I don't drink it (YUK) but do have it in things ie hot drink) but do sometimes swop it for soya milk. So I agree no-one's perfect, I know I'm not

But my view is that we can do small things where we can, and have good intentions and act on them, and perhaps try to question ourselves more - and I just can't feel comfortable with someone breeding pups and then culling them
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2006, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Hi Dawn

I do agree with a lot of what you say there, it can't be denied. I for one am against animal testing but I am sure do take medication that has been tested. Even if we try to avoid anything animal tested, or anything that has caused an animal to suffer, it's not always possible.

I think many of us do try. I drink milk (no actually I lie, I don't drink it (YUK) but do have it in things ie hot drink) but do sometimes swop it for soya milk. So I agree no-one's perfect, I know I'm not

But my view is that we can do small things where we can, and have good intentions and act on them, and perhaps try to question ourselves more - and I just can't feel comfortable with someone breeding pups and then culling them
Thats fine Wysiwig absolutely fine, I didnt agree with what he did either, but repected it was his decision to make not mine.

I do a bit myself here and there, I only eat organic eggs, I only eat Bacon from outdoor naturally reared BRITISH Pigs, I eat only Beef from ADULT cattle, as you say a bit where you can.
Dawn.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-11-2006, 02:38 PM
Do you drink milk, or use any other dairy products?
This is the first off topic post , this thread is about culling puppies not milk production or what people eat or don't eat. Can we please stay on topic.
Thank you
Page 14 of 16 « First < 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 >