View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

28-05-2010, 10:55 AM
I agree it is going to have to be muzzle and behind a gate with a Kong if he seems really stressed.

I know you weren't there but I need too ask this question you say your mum's friend leant over to get something. Was this leaning over Anton ? Was he in the way ?

If so that is probably why he snapped, you have too be so vigilant and make sure the dog is never in a position where these things can happen. It is hard work I know but you really have too make sure the dog is not in the way of people leaning over him stepping over him and if going round him you are there to body block.

Even when Ollie is happy with people moving around freely who visit one or other of us is always there on the spot as you just never know what little thing triggers off the nervous need to get away response.

I am wondering if Anton was in the path of the person leaning over and there was maybe a table, coffee table or a piece of furniture of some kind that meant he could not move away freely and felt trapped and threatened. I know you will be thinking he wasn't as your mum and her friend will but he does not know the difference and when stressed out that will be his only response if he feels trapped.
Kiing
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-05-2010, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
I agree it is going to have to be muzzle and behind a gate with a Kong if he seems really stressed.

I know you weren't there but I need too ask this question you say your mum's friend leant over to get something. Was this leaning over Anton ? Was he in the way ?

If so that is probably why he snapped, you have too be so vigilant and make sure the dog is never in a position where these things can happen. It is hard work I know but you really have too make sure the dog is not in the way of people leaning over him stepping over him and if going round him you are there to body block.

Even when Ollie is happy with people moving around freely who visit one or other of us is always there on the spot as you just never know what little thing triggers off the nervous need to get away response.

I am wondering if Anton was in the path of the person leaning over and there was maybe a table, coffee table or a piece of furniture of some kind that meant he could not move away freely and felt trapped and threatened. I know you will be thinking he wasn't as your mum and her friend will but he does not know the difference and when stressed out that will be his only response if he feels trapped.
I've just asked mum - apparently he was on the other side of the room, turned and saw her and just lunged and snapped. She wasn't leaning over him or anything. However, I think he might've been surprised as her hair was dangling and he has snapped at dangly things before (things dangling off of bags, for example). Whatever the reason, we won't be putting him in a situation like that again - it'd be setting him up for failure.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

28-05-2010, 11:04 AM
Originally Posted by Kiing View Post
I've just asked mum - apparently he was on the other side of the room, turned and saw her and just lunged and snapped. She wasn't leaning over him or anything. However, I think he might've been surprised as her hair was dangling and he has snapped at dangly things before (things dangling off of bags, for example). Whatever the reason, we won't be putting him in a situation like that again - it'd be setting him up for failure.
I see. Sounds like although she was on the other side of the room to him it was a possible threatening gesture. To us nothing unusual too a dog with a problem like Anton and Ollie it is a big problem. If you say he has a thing about dangly things as well it all escalated for him.
Kiing
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-05-2010, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
I see. Sounds like although she was on the other side of the room to him it was a possible threatening gesture. To us nothing unusual too a dog with a problem like Anton and Ollie it is a big problem. If you say he has a thing about dangly things as well it all escalated for him.
Yeah, I think he might've saw it as a threat - the little things can 'cause big trouble if a dog interprets them the wrong way, like you said!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

28-05-2010, 11:58 AM
Keep on doing what you are doing and you will get there.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2010, 12:57 PM
So sorry you've had yet another setback, and in answer to your question about having to have him pts because he's bitten again, if that lady doesn't want to press charges, then I think you'll be fine quite honestly.

I did say in my post, when Zena was going through this at around 8 months old, that "any sudden movements will set him off on one again" and it WILL, believe me it will! You're treading on eggshells now, I know the feeling, but thankfully I've sorted mine out, don't ask me how, but I have, so let's just hope you can do the same with Kiing, when you realise what/how/when/why/whatever sets him off, that's the key in all of this. I used to shut mine away, and still do sometimes, if it's a utility man calling, it's not worth the hassle for me, but friends/visitors they get to stay out, but we still go through a very strict regime with Zena, we HAVE to, we have to respect her, that although she thinks she's in charge of this house, there are times, when I have to tell her I am in charge of certain situations here! I make her get behind me everytime she starts, i.le. the barking at them, she never lunges at them, she just barks, and I've translated that into the fact that she doesn't know what to do, are they supposed to be here, am I in charge or are YOU in charge of this mum, that kind of thing, so I have to let her know in no uncertain terms, that I can deal with it, then she's happy to relax and greet them properly and just lie down nearby. They can even get up now if they want and move around the house, but always in the knowledge that they have to do everything sloooooowly! Make a note of that one!

Good luck, it needs sorting, and it's hard work but you'll get there.
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4