Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ziva
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-11-2008, 07:04 AM

What natural remedies do you use?

I'm always interested in alternative remedies, so I was wondering what different ones Dogsey members use?

I have a few absolute favourites:

Slippery Elm Bark Powder for all digestive issues or tummy upsets.

Neem - I like the oil for skin issues, the oil shampoo for the coat and the leaf powder sprinkled on food for it's health and anti-parasitic properties.

Diatomaceous Earth (food grade) for natural deworming and general overall good health.

I know there are tons more, so I'm hoping we can create a big list!!

Oh, and don't worry if it's grannies recipe and doesn't have any scientific backing.... the more the merrier!!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2008, 07:12 AM
Slippery elm bark powder....for tummys

Tea Tree spray....for flea's and use the shampoo

Garlic.....good for all sorts of things.
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-11-2008, 09:22 AM
Slippery elm bark - for a digestive upset.
EPO and fish oil (vet said ratio 4:1) for skin troubles.
Probiotics - for digestive upsets again.
Kelp and alfalfa mix for general good health.
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-11-2008, 10:52 AM
We use tea tree for everything - washing bedding, cuts, grazes.

Neem **seems** to be a miracle cure for pyoderma. Our little dog has mild atopy, and has had several outbreaks of pyoderma as a result. The first couple we tried very hard to treat with tea-tree, malaseb etc without success. We had to resort to antibiotics. There have been four identical outbreaks of pyoderma that we've just dabbed on a solution of about 5 drops of neem extract in a bit of water. The pyoderma spots dried up within hours. It *could* be coincidence, but I'm not about to stop using it any time soon! I give her a few drops each day internally, although I can't say I've noticed any benefit to it. That's not to say that it isn't doing her good. But I'll probably stop that soon.

I like to give a little bit of garlic two or three times a week. My dogs would lap it up every day, but I play it safe given that it can be dangerous in large doses. I can't say that I've seen that it works for anything, but I get a good feeling about it.

I also like to give probiotics everyday. I give Yakult, although I'm not sure if this is the right kind of bacteria for dogs. Again, I give this because I like the sound of the theory. It feels right.

My vet prescribes echinaforce for respirotory tract infections and reports good results. I don't use it though simply because there's a small chance that it could make allergies worse.

Of course, the problem with all treatments is that it's hard to know for sure what's working. But these are the ones that I get a good feeling about.
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-11-2008, 10:54 AM
I forgot to mention....

Oatmeal baths for itchy skin are wonderful. Wizz up some ordianary oatmeal in a blender to make a fine powder, or simply put some oatmeal into an old stocking and run it under the bath taps.

My dog has very mild atopy, so I imagine these teatments might not work so well in more serious cases.

I also use fatty acids (fish oils) daily, and am keen to start trying kelp and alfalfa. Any good internet sources in the UK?
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2008, 11:06 AM
We use a neem oil shampoo for the rare times they get baths...

We also use colloidal silver for healing

I make up a general-purpose salve for minor injuries etc (tea tree, lavendar, calendula, beeswax, olive oil) which is handy to have around
Ziva
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-11-2008, 11:51 AM
Good stuff everyone!

Originally Posted by scarter View Post
am keen to start trying kelp and alfalfa. Any good internet sources in the UK?
I get my alfalfa from here:
http://www.naturallygreen.co.uk/alfa...50g-p-167.html

And I've just checked, they also do kelp:
http://www.naturallygreen.co.uk/kelp...250g-p-81.html

In fact, their site is a veritable feast of herbal goodies!
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2008, 12:16 PM
I've used slippery elm powder on myself and the dogs with good effects.

Also Neem shampoo for the dogs (and Neem products for my face ).

I've just bought some DE to try out as well.

ETA: I also use Kronch salmon oil, CSJ Resist and nettle powder for my staffy who has a dry skin problem.
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-11-2008, 06:01 PM
Scarter, I get my kelp/alfalfa mix from Landywoods. Good stuff, and Cox accepts it well in his food.
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-11-2008, 06:09 PM
raw honey for cuts,aloe plants for cuts and abbrasions.apple cider vin,for lots of things,bread polis for splinters in feet ,bake soda for teeth..hummmmm.oat meal for washing and cianne pepper to stop diging at the fence....phil
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >