Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2008, 10:59 AM

Routine Spay - odd questions

Hi guys,

Takara was spayed about a year ago and around now is the time she would have come into season had she not been.

She's got dally rash (which she always got prior to a season), her vulva is swollen and she's been touchy and less willing to share her toys with Rowdy...

If it was just the dally rash I'd think perhaps it's just the weather but different people, who see a lot of her have said that her vulva looks more swollen than usual as well and I've noticed a certain intolerance with Rowdy which is unusual.

So the vet nurse asked me - when they did the spay (at my previous vets) did they remove her ovaries? I DUNNO!

It just said routine spay - I assumed they took everything?

Can anybody help? Is it possible they left her ovaries or does your spayed bitch have symptom-like seasons?

She hasn't had any bleeding since her spay.
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-06-2008, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post

So the vet nurse asked me - when they did the spay (at my previous vets) did they remove her ovaries? I DUNNO!

It just said routine spay - I assumed they took everything?

Can anybody help? Is it possible they left her ovaries or does your spayed bitch have symptom-like seasons?

She hasn't had any bleeding since her spay.
Lottie,

Not 100% certain, but AFAIK it is usual to do a total hysterectomy on a bitch in UK. (Not the case in many countries, Cambodia being one were ovaries are left intact so I got a Canadian Vet to do Taki out there). The only way you can find out is to ring previous vet practice and ask who did the op and what the procedure was...they should have notes, or at very least tell you what their normal practice is.
Mary
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2008, 11:25 AM
Hi Lottie, sometimes not everything is removed, and a tiny piece of something is left, t can make symptoms like being on heat.
Teagan is like this, the boys go wild around her, and mount her, and her vulva gets swollen, but she doesn't bleed, and can't get pregnant.

My own vet confirmed this when I got worried about the boys mounting her, and she was licking her vulv a lot.
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2008, 11:31 AM
I think you will find that in this country ovaries are routinely removed if not the bitch would come into season.
I havnt worked in a practise or worked with a vet where they have not been removed, Occasionally,rarely a small amount of ovarian tissue gets left behind leading to some bitches displaying signs of coming into season. Unfortunately i cannot give you any figures or percentages,if you are worried go and have a chat with your vet.
Some bitches even take a long time for their hormones to settle,I had one and I know allthe ovarian tissue was removed because i was there when it was done.

Good Luck
Jeanette
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2008, 12:06 PM
Thanks guys

I had her done because of her behaviour during her seasons and phantoms following them. She got depressed and quite aggressive with other bitches and I swear she had a slight phantom earlier this year after being spayed

Presumably this wouldn't have anything at all to do with the incontinence she developped following her spay?

I thought about phoning the vets and asking if they had any trouble with her and what their usual procedure was and whether it was possible to do it as normal but I've seen the notes they kept as I worked at the vets where the notes were transferred to and the notes don't say anything other than routine spay and they won't remember individual cases...

I really hope this doesn't happen each year Poor thing.
red collar
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-06-2008, 01:42 PM
Best to check with your vet that they did a full ovariohysterectomy (sp?).

Even if they did, it is possible they left some uterine tissue behind. Not wishing to alarm you at all, but there have been cases of infection in this 'stump' of remaining tissue, and indeed cases of pyometra, so even when a bitch has been spayed it is best to be cautious if she shows signs of actual illness.

I'm sure it's nothing like that, but best to be aware of it.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2008, 01:49 PM
I am surprised your present vet has not asked your previous vet for the dog’s records. However if they have not you could ask for them to be forwarded to you present vet.

Have been told, but do not know, that it only requires one cell to be left behind for this sort of thing to occur, one assumes if this is true that a certain amount of re-growth of the hormonal gland must take place and the bitch will retain some of her hormone produced behaviour.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2008, 10:33 AM
Thanks,

Pita, we did have the records transferred but the clinical history only said 'Routine Bitch Spay' - no comments on the details.

I may have to go through this with my current vet and see what she says - contact my previous vet and see what they did and if needs be, I'd rather her have to go through another op than for her to end up having phantoms and depression again

I don't seem to be having much luck with her!
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2008, 10:36 AM
Is she stll having a problem?
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2008, 12:42 PM
She still has dally rash, her vulva seems large (though not as large as it has been when she was having seasons) and she's a really moody cow.

She lunged at the end of her lead this morning to bark and growl at another dog in the park which is very unlike her and she only ever showed aggression (and never that bad) when in season or during phantoms.

On top of that, she's still incontinent and her nerves were just improving until this recent bout.

Last night I took her to ringcraft and she didn't snap at any dogs (even said hello to a standard black poodle which would normally scare her) and was ok with the judges going over her (although she's just had cold tail so not sure about her back end being handled) but she seemed really low and my friend even commented that she looked depressed

Have to say though - there are too many things going on to say what it is because we have the foster dog here who has picked up bad habits from Takara and also rubbed off some bad habits on her.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >