Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2008, 04:53 PM

Ways To Keep Teeth Healthy...

...Without brushing?

Although I do own a fingertip brush and doggy toothpaste, when i've tried to use them in the past they have met with an unfavourable reaction. My dogs are used to me checking their teeth but wouldnt really keep still properly so that I could make contact with their teeth! Jed kind of freaked out when he felt something alien in his mouth!

I've read through some of the other posts concerning keeping teeth clean and they mentioned chews, bones etc. Now, I think Dentastix are a rip off so dont want to go down that route (plus, i'm not convinced they work when they are eaten in 2 seconds flat).

I've noticed my collie, who is 2, has some build up starting. They regularly have hide chews but do these do any good? Roasted bones are not an option as they make the dogs sick each time I try them with one but are pigs ears any good? I'm all up for some raw feeding as they love it but how often would I have to give them a raw meal in order for it to have an effect on their teeth? They are fed a dry complete so I wouldnt want to chop and change between raw and kibble too much due to the effect it has the other end.

They dont really chew toys but would a game of tug with a rope toy help?

Any advice would be welcomed. Thanks.
AussieGeek
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-06-2008, 05:26 PM
To be completely honest I dont brush my dog's teeth. (I hope I dont get too much crap for this ) I feed a dry holistic dog food and Chance (and Morgan when we had her) always has bones and things to chew on. I also give Greenies a couple times a month but no more than that. Chance still has pearly whites and the vet actually think that I brush them. When Morgan was around her teeth were great for her age and the vet also thought I was brushing them daily.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

11-06-2008, 05:29 PM
sorry, don't understand why you just don't give a bone every day. I'm not necessarily talking enormous marrowbone here, just a bone. I get 2 bags of bones a week from my butchers, and mine have one every lunchtime (usually with a banana) after we have been out.
Mine are through pigs ears and the like in seconds anyway
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2008, 05:40 PM
If you are happy with the dogs teeth then no problem
to keep em fairly shiny something like a chicken drumstick a couple of times a week would be fine
I wouldnt bother with dentasticks or the like
(as a type Ben is right next to me happily 'brushing' his teeth on a rib bone)
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2008, 07:35 PM
Hi there

Bones are good but if you don't want to go down that route, have you tried raw carrots?
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-06-2008, 11:32 PM
My lot have never had their teeth brushed and all have brilliant teeth (star had one out after cracking it when eating a stone) the vet remarked on this. They do have raw carrots quite often so I would guess this has helped.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2008, 12:06 AM
Raw marrow bones are the best thing you can get for keeping teeth clean imo.

Isla had been without then for quite sometime due to me not being able to source them. However, for the last month she's had one once a month and the difference on her teeth is amazing! Her back teeth were fine, but it was her canines that were beginning to turn a bit yellow. Thankfully after 1 month of 1 raw bone a week she's cured!

She still has a couple of minty dentasticks a week though cos I think she's a bit addicted to them!
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2008, 10:19 AM
I'm fostering a youngster who when she came had very stained teeth & after two or three carrots a day they ate much whiter & cleaner.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2008, 07:54 PM
Thanks guys, will try carrots and and perhaps a bone a week or something.

I was able to get the toothbrush into Flynn's mouth but Jed wouldnt let me anywhere near! I tried to make a game out of it to try and at least get him to pick it up but he was having none of it so I think I will try the other methods mentioned.