Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ingi
Dogsey Junior
Male 

07-09-2009, 02:53 PM

Nanuq has lumps behind his ears?

We have noticed for some time that Nanuq has sort of lumps or something at the base of the back of each ear. They are behined both ears. We met a couple of people with Mals and Sibes whilst out on a walk and they had never felt anything simmilar with their dogs.

The lumps are not painfull for Nanuq they are like a fold of skin is how best to describe them.

Does anyone have any idea what they could be.

we are taking him to the vets to let them have a feel.

I should add he is only 9 mth old.

thanks
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-09-2009, 03:14 PM
Hope its nothing to worry about he only a baby, hope you get on ok.
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2009, 03:56 PM
Would it be worth taking the fur right back on his ears so you can get a good look - could it be an allergy? Has he anything anywhere else?
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2009, 04:03 PM
All my collies have a sort of 'lumpy bit' at the base of their ears. You can't really seem them, but can feel them if you are giving them an ear rub. But with theirs its more like cartilage.

Worth getting checked out, but I would have thought that if they are uniform on both ears it is unlikely to be anything to worry about?
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2009, 02:39 AM
Its a long shot, but I notice your dog has fluffy ears. My dog has fluffy ears and if I'm not careful, she will develop these hard litttle hair matts bedind her ears that feel like lumps. The hair there matts really tightly to the skin.
ingi
Dogsey Junior
Male 

08-09-2009, 07:11 AM
Originally Posted by muttzrule View Post
Its a long shot, but I notice your dog has fluffy ears. My dog has fluffy ears and if I'm not careful, she will develop these hard litttle hair matts bedind her ears that feel like lumps. The hair there matts really tightly to the skin.
We have found that that is what it is, it's fur. The fur has matted behined the ears and made these hard lumps. We feel really bad for not realising what it is sooner, he is of to a groomer today to get it sorted. We groom him every day but never reallised this was happening, now we know it can happen we can keep on top of it.

thanks Muttzrule