Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Firstlight
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-02-2013, 10:43 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
I know you think that training techniques and methodology are not being explained, Firstlight, but I think the majority here use variations of lure and reward and/or clicker training. I'm sure you'd soon tire of descriptions of techniques that you are probably aware of.

Perhaps if you were more specific in your request for information, you'd get more responses in this respect

Brierley, at the risk of repeating myself: As I have noted before, I am well aware of what method y'all use, and of why you use it. What has not been offered except for one or two instances, is the how. How do you teach a command, how do you deal with the trained dog which chooses to fail, how would you put a life-saving stop on a dog like the ones I have, with reference to the situations I have described?

Again risking repetition, my observations of positive methods over here have been less than enlightening, as I previously noted. Since the what and why are the same over here as in your country, the thing here that produces a result different from the ones y'all get there must be in the how, and that is what I am after. Specific enough?
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-02-2013, 10:55 PM
Oh! i just did see! i made the threehundredth post of that Threat!

did I win a price now?

Firstlight
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-02-2013, 11:27 PM
Originally Posted by Wyrekin View Post
I'm pretty sure I described earlier on in the thread how I would train a sit-stay giving a good idea how any instruction is trained using positive training. However I felt I got patronised so I gave up on the thread because I felt I was not being taken seriously. I have trained many dogs, a few with major issues and although I am no expert I am knowledgeable enough to be able to put a positive training routine in place for the dogs I work with.

Yes you did indeed, Wryekin, and I wondered why you did not continue on with our (as in you and I) discussion; now I know, and I can't tell you how sorry I am that you got that impression from me, it certainly wasn't intentional on my part. Bless you enlightening me!

I know it's a lot to ask, but I would greatly appreciate it if you could tell me what it was I said that upset you.
The conversation begins on page 10 with post #10, if you would like to refer back. There was one of my responses, #140 on page 14, that was pretty strongly worded. I noted the reason and apologized, is that the one to which you are refering?
Firstlight
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-02-2013, 11:33 PM
'tis a long thread - posts get missed. I'm pretty sure I've missed loads either by skim reading or reading very early or very late . It's so much easier and more productive to give a brief summary of a previous reply than refer back to the original

Umm, I am getting a different vibe from some posters. And I am afraid that "brief" would leave too much room for misunderstanding, typed word and all that. Believe me, my poor arthritic hands would be thrilled to death to have me do brief.
Firstlight
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-02-2013, 11:35 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Just a coincidence ???? yer right & I believe in fairies as well
So you are inferring that I would lie about such a thing, ?why?
Firstlight
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-02-2013, 12:01 AM
Some people learn better if you do anthropomorphise - by explaining in a way they are familiar with rather than a new concept to them, it can sometimes help.

You can often write out a technique, explain it verbally and some people will be able to apply it to great effect. Sometimes they have to see it in operation before they 'get it'.

Similarly, each and every dog is an individual and individuals don't all react the same way, hence techniques have to be modified or changed to suit. I think most people do 'get this' and it's one explanation where explaining in human terms, rather than animal terms can often help to get the message across.

Using what works not only applies to dogs, but to humans as well

Well, the first thing I have to do for the folks I deal with is explain what anthropomorphizing means, and I reassure them that this is a perfect normal thing and that many do it. I then go on to explain the dog stuff and ask them if they see how they are "guilty" of ascribing human traits to dogs, and the conversation proceeds from there. If they don't seem to get it, or are visual learners, I have a little exercise that I do that makes explanations real clear in a hurry.

I don't think the problem is that they don't get the explanations, but rather that they have engaged in wrong-headed thinking for so long, and it is so ingrained, that it is easy to slip back into it. They have some re-learning to do, and they will relapse occasionally.
egroeg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-02-2013, 12:12 AM
You asked how to train and proof a dog to stop in an emergency. Two part tutorial here, using positive reinforcement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=hD6t9nfqjPA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6r6_MEtj6I
Firstlight
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-02-2013, 12:46 AM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Actually yes, I've just replied to that in post 283.
I've asked another couple of questions on that post.

Not sure it's a timing glitch, although it may be. I simply log on and read from where I left off, if that makes sense. I try to reply "in order" but sometimes as one is replying, a thread moves on and responses are already made.

Wys
x
Wys, my reply to your 283 is in my 299. The comment timing comment to Malpeki was TIC.
Firstlight
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-02-2013, 12:53 AM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
I agree it's much better when owners understand why a dog is doing something, I can help them to be patient and also to notice things more, with widened eyes if you like.

How would you then, teach a dog not to jump up? I'd probably use a clicker but some might put it on cue or teach a solid Sit.

Would you use a shock collar for this sort of training (ie household manners).

Wys
x

Wys, I address this post ASAP, but my response will probably drone on and typing has become difficult, and I am trying to get shorter responses out of the way first. I may not get to it until tomorrow, but stay tuned, because I will post a response
Firstlight
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-02-2013, 01:14 AM
Originally Posted by Wyrekin View Post
You talk about people anthromorphising and yet you quote your dogs with a very high level of cognitive function. High enough that when they break a command and race off, are issued a repeat of the command and are then shocked they understand that the reason they are shocked is because they 'messed up' the original command, as you put it. I do not think that my dogs nor many others could possibly get this even with, as you put it, the correct conditioning because this is not how they learn. They learn in the moment. If you allow several moments to pass and a repeat of the original command to happen then the dog does not learn that the shock is caused by it 'messing up' but instead by you giving the command. Thus making it fearful of the command and possibly resulting in a more immediate response but at the same time causing the dog to shut down when given instruction. This ends in an unhappy dog, however driven and hard working, even the most driven dogs can be miserable in their work.

Wryekin, I am sure you know that CF is a product of a number of traits, many of which are factory installed in my bloodline via judicious breeding. You are not the only one who looks a bit askance when I talk about how quickly my dogs usually learn and make connections, until they see it for themselves. I am on my fifth generation, and I still marvel at their learning capacity. And I fully understand that dogs learn in the moment, hence the 3 second rule re: corrections.

I can only describe my dog's reaction to the correction in terms of what I saw, and what I saw was exactly what I expected to see; it was most emphatically not a miserable, unhappy, shut-down dog.
Page 31 of 36 « First < 21 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 > Last »