register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Does a domestic dog that it will die one day?
Dogs know fine well that they will die one day 10 16.13%
Dogs can't know that they will die one day 46 74.19%
Some dogs might figure it out 6 9.68%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Luchi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-05-2010, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by L-TRAYNOR View Post
I Would Lie To Ask If Anyone Has Experienced Their Dead Pet In There Home Afer It Has Died Because I Have And Still Do
Yes, I believe I have, before I had Luchi, about 4 years ago I had 5 cats (4 now).

One winters morning about 5oclock am, I felt one of my cats jump onto the bed, and then let out quite an agonising cry, I opened my eyes, startled as to what was going on. The cry sent a shiver down my spine. Satisfied that there were no distressed cats in the room I assumed that I had been having a bad dream and eventually dropped back to sleep. (it really was very unsettling).

A couple of hours later I got up to get ready for work, and double checked the bedroom before leaving the room. Satisfied that there were no cats in the room. (my partner slept through)

My cats have a cat flap and come and go as they please although, generally spend more time indoors. They are fed kibble, and there is always food down for them, so it is quite normal for me not to see them all at the same time.

That evening when I arrived home, I accounted for 4 of my cats but not Echo, my red female British Shorthair. I asked my partner had he seen Echo that day, and he replied that he hadn't. I remembered "my dream" and told my partner about it, I had a really bad feeling and so we searched high and low, and within the neighbourhood, to no avail - not a trace of Echo to be found.

We never saw her again. I often wonder what happened to her, and in my heart I think she died that morning, of course I will never know for sure. Whatever happened to her, I truly hope she did not suffer.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2010, 12:29 PM
How strange, but how sad, that you will never know the answer Luchi

No, I've never experienced any of my dogs, or sensed them around after they'd gone, but I did get a couple of "signs" from my last girl I had to let go. The very next morning, a kind friend sent me a great big punch of pink roses, and they were all tied up very tightly, so I decided to leave them as they were, plonk them in a vase and take them outside to place on my dog's grave. I walked very carefully out the front door, down the steps, with the vase held in front of me, all the roses were still tightly bunched with the wire, but as I came back indoors, and stepped in through the front door, there on the floor, in the middle of the hallway was one single pink rose, laid at an angle, and I know to this day, there is no way it could have jumped out of that tightly bound wire!

A few days later, I was outside hosing down the patio, and as I moved the spraying hose over to one side it sprayed over my dog's grave, and there, in the bright, bright sunshine was the most beautiful little rainbow, arched right over her grave, from the bottom corner to the top, and as quickly as it had formed, it disappeared again I was gobsmacked, and no matter how much I tried, I couldn't replicate it, so I KNEW she was telling me she had arrived safely at Rainbow Bridge! You have to watch out for these signs you know, some people don't even see them!
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2010, 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Now that one's got me thinking, I wonder if they know more than we do then???? We would never know when it's "our time" would we, I don't think?

Ahh but I think we do know when it is our time, especially in old age or illness, when we start saying our goodbyes etc.

Animals do have a more finely tuned 6th sense than us so it is feasable they 'see' much more than we do. But I just don't think they are capable of getting hung up on death the way we do.

My old terrier often 'pops in' to say hello and I have felt the presence of all my past dogs around me at some point, I find it an enormous comfort that they are still around.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

06-05-2010, 01:50 PM
Interesting question.

In the big scheme of things I don't think animals live thinking or knowing one day they will die.

I do think if they are old or ill they know their time is up I think our Max knew that and our cat Bruno that went out one day and never came back he was old and I would of said he wasn't ill but maybe he knew different and went off somewhere quiet to end his days.

In some ways I hope he did because it haunts me to think that he may of died a horrible death.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2010, 02:23 PM
I don't know how you would know??

I certainly think some dogs lack a sense of danger or the ability to comprehend that something may kill them.....like running off a cliff after a bird, or running in front of a car!
But whether that is due to a lack of understanding of death or a lack of understanding about the human world, I don't know.

However, I think they understand death.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-05-2010, 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
I don't know how you would know??

I certainly think some dogs lack a sense of danger or the ability to comprehend that something may kill them.....like running off a cliff after a bird, or running in front of a car!
But whether that is due to a lack of understanding of death or a lack of understanding about the human world, I don't know.

However, I think they understand death.
As in the know, or for the future

Do you think dogs have an understanding that they will die one day in the future?
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4