Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2012, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by CuteRotts View Post
Hi there.

I've got chooks too - 2 hybrids and 3 ever-broody brahmas - thinking about khaki campbells - but can i ask if it true that ducks make far more mess then chickens?

Em
YES! lol, is the easy answer. We have a bit pen for them with a concrete pen (it's an old keepers kennel) but do let them out every day and they go up the field, which has a stream running through. The pen gets filthy! The small pen where the ducklings in has to be moved every day and water changed twice a day as they get everything filthy lol. Wouldn't do without them though.

We do have some khaki campbells and the ducklings could possibly have a bit of that in them. If you are close, you are more than welcome to a couple.

Originally Posted by Luke View Post
truly envious!
I would have been the same 10 years ago. I am just incredibly lucky to be able to do it now.

Originally Posted by Razcox View Post
In my experience no ducks are VERY messy and get poo everywhere!

Lovely photos esp the one with the goat, how many kids can go to school and say they took a kid for a walk
He loves the goats, and they have been surprisingly easy to care for....so far! lol

Helen
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2012, 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
Thanks How are your chickens getting on? Have you hatched any this year?

Helen
Ours are fine. We didn't hatch any this year, and are actually thinking of just buying in a few brown layers, as the ones we have now do lay - but rarely in their nest boxes One of them has taken to laying in one of the whisky barrels, so they are easy to collect, but god knows where the others are going.

In fact there is an organic hen farm just down the road from us, so we are going to have a word with the farmer there and see whether he will sell us some of his, as he replaces them regularly.
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2012, 04:59 PM
That sounds a good plan. Our neighbour has the warren's and get a lot of eggs from them. I like the different breeds so have never had the bog standard brown chickens.

Helen
CuteRotts
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-06-2012, 06:06 PM
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
YES! lol, is the easy answer.

If you are close, you are more than welcome to a couple.

Helen

Might give that a miss then - but thank-you for the lovely offer. Looks like my next additions may just a few little banties then!

Em x
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2