Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jester3125
New Member!
Female 

03-02-2015, 05:03 AM

Puppy not housebreaking

Hello all. I am at my wits end and looking for help. I have a 16 week old german shorthaired pointer/lab mix that will not house break. We have read ten books and have had many other dogs. Consistency is key, but what do you do if you are consistent and it is an issue?
We take her out,witness her pee, then bring her into play and she will pee within minutes. She is taken out at least every hour and every time we see her pee at least once, yet she goes in the house and often on her blanket in the kitchen where she is leashed.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2015, 09:06 AM
16 weeks is young. Even if you got him at eight weeks, he needs more time. My dude had the peeing thing bad, too. If you catch the dog in the act, quickly move him outside and if/when he finishes outside, praise him and reward with a tasty treat.

If he does not go outside, he is to be crated for a while, then you can try again later. Crates help with potty training immensely. Also, always have the dog vet checked if you think the urination is unusual. The key is vigilance. If he gets away with it, he'll never learn that it's only okay to pee outside.

Look out for signs of needing to go such as pacing, not being still, whining, etc. Its critical that you reward when the dog goes outside, and move him outside if you see or detect an accident. Don't use wee wee pads, they often just make the dog think it's okay to potty inside.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2015, 10:04 AM
tHIS SHOULD HELP:

TOILET TRAINING

When you first get your puppy home, you must decide on where you would like your pup to go to toilet and then decide on a word to use when he/she is going eg: hurry up, be quick or something else you are happy to say. It is essential that you use this word when the pup is actually going so that he/she associates the command with going. Everyone else in the household must say this to.
If the pup goes where you don’t want it to go ie: indoors, then pick him/her up in mid go or move the pup quickly and put him/her where you want the pup to go. Don’t scold or shout, just say the word used when he/she continues to go where you want the pup to go.
Clear up what he/she has done indoors with white vinegar. This does not stain and gets rid of the smell where he/she has been. Try to do this without the pup seeing you clear it up.
Constant vigilance when the pup has woken up, had a drink, eaten and had playtime, as these are the most likely times that he/she will go. In the mornings try to get up a little bit earlier to give him/her the chance of going before he/she starts wandering around after waking. Also last thing at night make sure you are with him or her and that you see the pup go with the chosen word.
The more vigilant you are every day the quicker the pup will learn to go where you want him/her to go. It is no use putting the pup outside without you being there. He/She will just forget what he/she is out there for and more than likely come back in and do it inside. After all there is nothing interesting going on inside, he/she has seen it all before and heard it.  Outside there is more to listen to that is different each day and the smells are also different each day. So, go with the pup and praise lavishly when he/she does go for you.
Paper training can have its drawbacks as you still have to get the paper near the door that you want the pup to go out of to the garden or outside space used. Puppy training pads can be used but again these have to be dispensed with as soon as the pup knows that it is outside that you want him/her to use.
Be patient and vigilant and the pup will soon get the hang of going to the door where he/she can go out to do his toilet.
Lindsay&River
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-02-2015, 10:32 PM
I'm sure it's frustrating! Have you had any progress since your message?

I would keep being consistent. Maybe take her out every half-hour when you can and use a kennel when you can't supervise. When you are out, make sure to reward her every time she goes and maybe wait long enough so she goes at least twice. She may not be emptying her bladder completely. Maybe she gets distracted or whatever.

Also, I asked a trainer about this for a blog post and was told that you should take the puppy out through the exact same door every time and follow the exact same routine. Go to the same place, etc. So there's no confusion.

Here's a link to the post I wrote: http://www.dogids.com/blog/common-pu...ning-mistakes/
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-02-2015, 11:21 PM
The posts above all give good advice. My last three dogs have been rescues, (two were adult and untrained), and yes, it can be frustrating when they seem to be empty, and then find a little more. I found that showing pleasure and a little reward for a 'quicky' creates dogs who will always do their best to co-operate. Do you have grass available? Dogs will often go in a couple of places on grass if you give them a little extra time. Putting two or three cat bells on the collar may help to give you a little more warning if the puppy becomes unsettled. Try to not to show your disappointment if she fails, as this can lead to stress in a sensitive puppy.
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-02-2015, 12:47 PM
Cant add much to the good advice already given except to second Mjfromga's advice about a vet check .
i think its a bit unusual for a dog to wee outside and then wee inside with within minutes , it could be she has a UTI.
It sometimes happens with pups but if it frequently occurs I'd try to find out why.

She might not be fully emtying her baldder outside , maybe you could wait outside a bit longer after she has peed to see if she will do anymore.

How long have you had her for? Do you know how the breeder or previous owner dealt with toilet training or how she was kept ?
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-02-2015, 05:50 PM
I had the same problem with a foster dog, and adult. I would take him out to relieve himself and he would proceed to drop another bomb shortly after we come back inside. It didn't matter how much longer I stayed out with him to get him to do his business again. I found the only thing that worked was to comeback inside as usual, then back outside 5-10 mins later. This was the only thing that helped to housetrain him in the end.

At 16 weeks, she should be able to hold it for an hour. I would take a pee sample to the vet and get a urinalysis done to rule out an infection.