View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2013, 12:57 PM
Lynn I am sorry you are still feeling down about this house.
I honestly feel its not the one for you if you are not so excited about it you can't wait and i will be honest (as always) it didn't grip me either.
You have a whole year before you have to be moved just in case gordons contract is not renewed so have you thought of asking "Escape to the Country to help you find that dream house. They are looking for people almost constantly.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/showsandtours/s...onashow/escape

Its ok saying well if we don't like it we can move, but the expense in moving house is awful. will you be able to just do that again.
I think if this house is giving you this worry then you should back out now and just carry on looking, you don't need something this week or this month, just within a year which is a long time and there is a good chance you could have longer.

One thing i have noticed is a lot of the houses on escape to the country that people have fell in love with and then bought is they said it is not something they would have chosen to go and see on paper. So perhaps you need to broaden your search to looking at houses that are not so far away, where gordon may not have to stay away all week, that may not be so good on paper because the exact area is not what you dreamed of. You may find its one of them that you actually fall in love with.

I think take your time and carry on searching and I bet within a year looking at other areas you will find that house where you can't wait to be.

Its a nice idea having the river for the grandchildren or the big garden but in reality how much of the year will they spend there. You will be there 24/7 YOU need to be happy.

I really am worried about this all being a huge mistake for you and you being alone up there and very unhappy. Sorry lynn if this sounds negative, but I do care and worry about you.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2013, 01:16 PM
I couldn't agree with you more Bev, BUT, there's then the worry of whether or not you would get a buyer? A bird in the hand so to speak. I don't think the housing market will ever recover to what it used to be like, say 10 years ago, where buyers would be queueing up. Remember our old house was on the market for a whole year, lots of viewings, all loved it, but only that one offer which I then had to wait 6 months for exchange purely because I wanted to hold on to them for fear of losing our ONLY buyer. Life really is one big gamble all the way round now isn't it, jobs, houses, where to put your money safely, etc. it's all such a big gamble and we've never before had to live like this really have we.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

08-09-2013, 01:19 PM
If we knew Gordens job was permanent possibly we could but we don't know that and until we have caught up with the money outstanding on the mortgage and paid it regularly again for a fixed amount of time I would imagine the answer would be no. It will take 6 months to catch up paying the regular amount plus some on top to catch up.

We don't have a huge budget to rent while looking to buy which would be a good idea if funds allowed.
Having the big garden isn't just for Dillon that would be top of my agenda dog or not. We both like rivers and have always dreamt about the possibility of living near one one day. The Grandchildren liking fishing is just a bonus.
Driveway and off road parking also on my agenda we have the parking via shared access not ideal.
So the cottage has 2.5 of my boxes ticked.
The bungalow I have come across has a big garden, views front and back river across the road and out the back. Parking and independent driveway. Shame it wasn't there earlier.
twix
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-09-2013, 01:21 PM
[B]Lynn[B] Madmare is right, the costs of buying and selling are extortionate and if you are thinking about selling again in a short time you could negate all that you are saving. Also think about the resale-ability of the place you are going to.

I would make sure Gorden is aware of how you will feel to be on your own there although Dillon will help you to make friends and definitely think of yourself. My SIL moved so OH wouldn't have hours of travelling every day. Now he spends longer at the office because he's not far away so she's on her own just as much and even I was having nightmares about the place she was going to and she did say it was hell for the first few weeks. Now I think she's just acclimatised herself but I don't think she's 'home' in any sense of the word.

We've moved 5 times and although I've wanted to go each time I always dream I'm in the previous place when I shouldn't be, most odd! I've now fallen out of love with this place but don't think I could stand the stress of moving so I don't envy you whichever decision you take.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

08-09-2013, 01:36 PM
Awwww I know you do Bev but in reality we do not have a year. Like Helena says you get a buyer now you act. The last two houses we sold 15-16 years ago were on the market
first one sold in 7 days in the Sept we were in new house for Christmas the one before this one similar sold in the Aug moved in here by end of November.
These days it is so much harder. We cannot afford to take a risk.
Helena no it isn't near the cottage. So if we go its going to have to be gut feeling if its right or not.
I hope that toothache stays away.
It must of been awful watching Dave eat his roast dinner.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2013, 02:14 PM
Hi folks I'm back from visiting my Mum. She loved seeing my brother and I together and it was lovely to remember Dad today while we were all together.

The M25 was breeze going but I passed an accident that had recently happened near M3 and decided to come back from Mum's 'off-motorway' but although it takes longer I knew I'd get back. I didn't take the dogs with me in the end as they'd had a nice walk before I went and my son was here (although in bed).

I've just been reading through all the posts and Lynn if you were nearer I'd give you a big bear hug as you need it. I think the biggest problem for you isn't leaving your current house but leaving the area and your family and friends behind .... although they'd still visit. You've had so much on your plate over the past six months or so, what with Gill, your Mum and the worry over Gorden getting work that it really isn't surprising that you are feeling very anxious. Could you not compromise on your 'wish-list' for a property nearer to where you are now? Its a big 'ask' buying your dream house and also going mortgage free Good luck and we are all rooting for you here to find what your are looking for and ultimately be happy and excited about moving ((hugs)).

Helena - Well done with the weight loss ... there is always a silver lining somewhere My OH is at a car 'do' and I'm planing on a roast but it will be this evening . I'm absolutely starving at the moment. Polly until a few months ago was a LOT bigger and she really worries me with her dieting. When she joined us on Wednesday evening for a meal out after both courses she disappeared the the ladies ...... she'll never admit it though .

I'm going to go and get some ironing done now and hoover the downstairs so that I can really relax this evening .... oh and walk the dogs, of course.

See you all later.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

08-09-2013, 02:26 PM
Afternoon jenny. So pleased the visit went well and the journey was trouble free.
There isn't anywhere we can afford in between once you get in between March, Chatteris and nearer to the end of the A14 near the M11 the prices hike up. Basildon is not somewhere I would choose to live similar to Harlow less green spaces and again the prices are about the same as here not what we can really afford to be mortgage free. Anywhere else in Essex we are priced out of also.
So we have to go almost into Norfolk, Suffolk and even further North to be mortgage free and ease our worries for the future.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

08-09-2013, 03:11 PM
Been popping in and out of the thread all day, having a read about your dilemma Lynn. It comes down to whether you can afford to lose your purchaser really, and if you really want to be mortgage free above all things, and we know the answer to this as well as you do. I was going to suggest renting, but it isn't possible financially. Maybe if you think of this cottage as being a rental perhaps, and that once you find what you want you have the freedom to leave, which actually you do, because it will be your house anyway. The other thing is, is it actually the house you don't like, or the moving, and I think it is the latter, so I have a feeling that no matter what the house was like and where it was, you would find something you didn't like about it, because your heart isn't in moving from where you are and where your comfort zone is. I don't think there is actually an answer to this one, except stopping the whole process and staying where you are, but of course you could end up in an even worse nightmare if the contract isn't extended for Gordon, and then maybe even go through having to lose your home, then having to move where you were put, and that is extreme worst case scenario I know, but needs to be considered in your list that is going round and round in your head. I can't say what has been said, which is stop the move, because I really feel that you need to get yourself mortgage free and be independent and free of such a large amount of money going out every month, and this is the only way your going to do it, so a case of gritted teeth, head up and start packing.
Just back from training, having a sarnie and a brew then got to get stuck in outside as I have Cruz on his way any time now.
Joe, the trainer who usually takes the Silver Class, took a piccie of Keshi the other week, I asked if he would bluetooth it over to me, and here it is, really glad I asked him, because it is a lovely piccie

Well done on losing 6lbs Helena, every cloud etc eh
Hope that something has kicked in now to stop the pain for you because it sounds horrendous, and its a wonder you haven't tried to kill someone with the way you are probably feeling, no sleep, no food and constant pain is enough to send anybody down that path.
Glad your visit to your mum went well Jenny,here was me thinking the M25 would be quiet for you, and there's an accident. Hope your poor feets are a bit less sore today now you've strapped them up.
Nippy, thought it was sore throat and UDI, didn't know about the ears as well, you've taken up most of sick bay with all this y' know
Here's Eileen next door to you with an ice pack on her head with the blackout curtains drawn muttering Leave Me Be
Glad you've found your cousin Lore, even if it was in the cells, at least you know where he is and he can't get in any more trouble - until he gets home that is
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

08-09-2013, 03:31 PM
Afternoon June lovely picture of Keshi. She looks very proud of herself which she has every right to be as she is such a good girl at training and doing so well.
Oooh is Cruz in da house yet ?

You see that's exactly what Gorden says to me and he is right to an extent in that my heart isn't in it but there is the thought that I haven't really found anywhere that I feel could feel like home. Yes you are right we do need to do this and I know this and will do it even though today Gorden gave me the option of not moving. I think the thought of possibly losing my home fills me with even more fear than moving.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-09-2013, 03:35 PM
June - what an fabulous photo of Keshi - she really is absolutely stunning!

Lynn - I cannot say or suggest anything that has not already been said. Just sending you loads of huge (((HUGS)))

- I am afraid my single brain cell cannot really cope with understanding what I read, so that is about all I can remember.

This morning I managed to do two lots of washing - catching up on what was in the linen basket and also yesterday's bed linen, which involved a single flat top sheet [I just have a bit of it over my middle hence only needing a single], and double fitted bottom sheet, fitted under sheet, and quilted mattress cover. All clean and dry but I think that the top sheet will have to be binned as the staining from where Pereg frothed that horrid sticky foam out of her mouth has stained it badly. I could not wash the bed linen yesterday so just put it in the washing machine out of the way and of course the stains dried and set.

And somehow I have managed to lose a ¾ length sleeve, just above the knee length tunic which I wore one day early last week and which should have been in the linen basket but was not. The cropped leggings I wore with it were, but the tunic was not.
Page 4 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »