View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Saffy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-06-2010, 05:41 PM

Introducing new pups to your resident dog.

Hey guys...I have a 8 week old puppy, she's an Old Tyme Bull Dog and she's tiny at the moment. She's only just been introduced to our older resident 6 years old German Shepherd Dog.

He's allowed to sniff her on my lap, but that's it. If she's playing, they're in separate rooms. How long should I wait before I put her down with the older dog? I'm really anxious that he may go for her bcos she's quite lively, and he's still unsure with her.

He does show his teeth sometimes when she's in her crate, and she's having a mad 5 minutes, so I defiantly no he's not ready.

As much as I've done the first introduction, I'm not sure on the second step to go? Obviously any contact will be supervised!

Cheers...
pinkgunner
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-06-2010, 06:58 PM
Oh dear, if you know he's not ready for contact with her and he's baring his teeth at her when she's in her crate, I'd be very careful.

Your older dog having to leave the room while she plays doesn't sound good, he needs to be taught that she's here to stay and to get used to it and she needs to be taught to play without pestering him.

My oldest dog was 7 when I got Ruby (now nearly three) but I didn't have any issues with him being aggressive to her, he just couldn't be bothered with her and liked to avoid her wherever possible and she had to learn not to dive on him and bite his ears/hang off his tail.

Unfortunately, I don't have any advice sorry other than to be very careful. How is he with other dogs?
Does he like to play? Is he sociable? and can he be trusted around strange dogs he meets on walks?

xx
Saffy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-06-2010, 08:08 PM
I've read a lot of posts where resident dogs are aggressive in fact far more aggressive then how my dog is behaving. towards a new puppy.

The fact is, he's never seen a puppy before, and from what I've read it says to be keep them separated until they seem more relaxed with each other, and use to each others smells etc.

What breed what your eldest dog?

I just wondered how to introduce play time when they can be together...

Thanks anyway

xx
Saffy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-06-2010, 08:15 PM
I'd just like to add, I don't stick him in another room and just ignore him..lol

He gets a 2 walks a day, his good behaviour when sniffing and just being in the same room (even tho she's on my lap) is very much rewarded with lots of praise and love. If I'm in the house or with the puppy in the garden, my partner is with our oldest dog or visor verse, so we are reinforcing that she's a good thing, and good things happen when she's about!

I suppose it's just time really. It's a fear factor at the moment for my oldest. She goes to bite his mouth and gets over excited and he doesn't know what the hell she is or where she's come from!
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2010, 08:37 PM
If it was me personally, if you think your older dog may be agressive, then muzzle him and just put her down and maybe even keep him on a slack lead for extra control.

When I introduced Harley to Jess, I just let them get on with it. I know Jess isn't agressive, but if I had an incling she was, I would have muzzled her.

The dogs seeing as they live with each other need (IMO) to tell each other what they are and aren't happy with.

Most adult dogs are ok with pups.

Is your dog actually showing agression, or just "moaning" about the pup? Jess will moan at Harley (where she will show her teeth and make odd odd noises), but Harley has learnt to understand that these mean she isn't comfortable with what he is doing, and if he doesn't head her warning (she doesn't EVER go any further than this to barking), I move him away myself.
cintvelt
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-06-2010, 08:46 PM
Although I'm no expert, I would suggest introducing them outside in a large enclosed area if at all possible... once they learn to play outside you can bring them inside together... most dogs know instinctively that a pup is a pup and that they have to be careful... shutting your older dog out now could cause jealousy, and could make him feel that he has to defend his position in the pack, even towards a pup..... don't be too anxious as your anxiety will only increase your older dog's sense of "there's something wrong here..."....

good luck!
Saffy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-06-2010, 08:49 PM
He does just that, shows his teeth. He hasn't attacked her, and today he let me lay her next to him when she was asleep and he was sitting by her. It was only for a few minutes as I was there to make sure nothing happened, and praising him. I just wanted to see how he would react and he did great! He often sits by her crate she's sleeping, in a non aggressive manner, and when she's asleep on the sofa, he doesn't bother her in the slightest!

I'm just fearful that she'll jump up at his mouth and bite him bcos she's a bit nippy with her teeth and can hurt and that he'll respond is not such a nice way. The fact she's so young, I don't think she quite gets it when he shows his teeth...lol

I think it's a fab idea about the mussel. I could kick myself for not thinking that as he has one! lol

I think tomorrow, that'll be our next exercise!

Thank you
Saffy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-06-2010, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by cintvelt View Post
Although I'm no expert, I would suggest introducing them outside in a large enclosed area if at all possible... once they learn to play outside you can bring them inside together... most dogs know instinctively that a pup is a pup and that they have to be careful... shutting your older dog out now could cause jealousy, and could make him feel that he has to defend his position in the pack, even towards a pup..... don't be too anxious as your anxiety will only increase your older dog's sense of "there's something wrong here..."....

good luck!
I agree...I'm just waiting to finish off her injections so I can do lots of out side activities and walks. I think that will really help to bond them as it's my GSD fav thing in the whole world!

She sleeps most of the time, so he's not shut out constantly. I just like to give her some time in the house where he's not about so she get use to everything and play.

As we speak, she's asleep back in her crate and he's beside her
cintvelt
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-06-2010, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by Saffy View Post
I agree...I'm just waiting to finish off her injections so I can do lots of out side activities and walks. I think that will really help to bond them as it's my GSD fav thing in the whole world!

She sleeps most of the time, so he's not shut out constantly. I just like to give her some time in the house where he's not about so she get use to everything and play.

As we speak, she's asleep back in her crate and he's beside her
aaawww, cute... I can see the picture in my mind! thanx!!!!

In my experience GSD's are great with pups and small dogs... they can get really protective... And Tess's best friend at the moment is a huuuuuge GSD (and Tess is a wee BC but not in the least bit intimidated)...

Do you maybe have a garden or a friend's garden you could use to get them outside together asap? As far as the injections go really all you need is a controlled area in which you know no infected dog has been.... maybe it's an idea to call the vet or your local training school to ask if they know about any suitable places you could go.... it really is a matter of the sooner the better...

once again.... good luck!
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2010, 09:50 PM
I would be very surprised if he hurt her. She is going to get told off occasionally for being a pain in the @rse or biting too hard, but that's how puppies learn. Try with the muzzle tomorrow for your own peace of mind, but I'm sure they will be fine. Just relax and give him lots of praise and encouragement. Don't panic if he tells her off, he's entitled to set the boundaries with her.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >