Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2010, 09:44 PM
Originally Posted by tinkladyv View Post
Then maybe we can drop the whole asylum seeker thing as it has no relevance to this thread.
No, because a percentage of them are included in those who get state handouts when they are not (or shouldn't be) entitled to them.

They are wrong and the system is wrong and it's about time our government did something about it.

In fact, I, personally, would put a ban on asylum seekers at the moment until the problems we've got, that they have contributed to, are sorted out. But something tells me they never will be.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2010, 09:47 PM
I think you and I are going to have to agree to disagree on this one as we are going round in circles.
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-02-2010, 09:51 PM
Im not denying that there are people like this, but there are also plenty that are not. I worked in hostels for a fair few years, iv worked with teenage mums and single mums. On the whole i found the people there hard working, striving for a better life for their families and making the most of a bad situation, yes they were in receipt of benefits and social housing, often they just needed a little bit of help to realise their ambition.
I remember that when the child tax credit system came in it enabled 3 of the women i was working with to go out and get a job, which they did.
This is my experience, not the stuff thats spouted in the papers every day and i think we need to ask ourselves what we can do, rather than just getting angry and letting that eat us up.
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-02-2010, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
No, because a percentage of them are included in those who get state handouts when they are not (or shouldn't be) entitled to them.

They are wrong and the system is wrong and it's about time our government did something about it.

In fact, I, personally, would put a ban on asylum seekers at the moment until the problems we've got, that they have contributed to, are sorted out. But something tells me they never will be.
I dont know how anyone can deny help to anyone in need.

I certainly would not want to be part of anything that denied others the chance for a life free from the threat of life and im proud to be resident of a country that helps others.

I think we dont know how lucky we are.

So maybe you right we will have to agree to disagree.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2010, 10:01 PM
Im not denying that there are people like this, but there are also plenty that are not. I worked in hostels for a fair few years, iv worked with teenage mums and single mums. On the whole i found the people there hard working, striving for a better life for their families and making the most of a bad situation, yes they were in receipt of benefits and social housing, often they just needed a little bit of help to realise their ambition.
I remember that when the child tax credit system came in it enabled 3 of the women i was working with to go out and get a job, which they did.
This is my experience, not the stuff thats spouted in the papers every day and i think we need to ask ourselves what we can do, rather than just getting angry and letting that eat us up.
I'm well aware of what goes on in the real world with regards to this situation. I'm surround by people who cheat the system and also by people, families, who work hard, day in, day out, just to earn a living and look after their families. I know which ones I respect and it isn't the former, I'm afraid.

I was the result of a teenage pregnancy, my mother had me 13 days after her 17th birthday and the area where I was brought up in didn't have a good work ethic either! I'm afraid it's a sad fact that many just see their chidlren as a meal ticket and this case appears to be just that.

I don't expect any hand outs and I work hard to earn a living and it makes me angry to know that people who haven't contributed to society get everything handed to them on a plate, and quite often they do, and that included asylum seekers. It's not right.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2010, 10:07 PM
I dont know how anyone can deny help to anyone in need.

I certainly would not want to be part of anything that denied others the chance for a life free from the threat of life and im proud to be resident of a country that helps others.

I think we dont know how lucky we are.

So maybe you right we will have to agree to disagree.
I just feel we should sort out our own country and it's ethics first, that's more important to me, before embarking on a crusade to save the world, which just isn't going to happen.

Yes, I think we shall have to.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2010, 06:27 AM
I acn assure you child benefit doesnt cover a days food, so dont know how you could limit that. Its also something for a parent to use for the child, so should never be limited.
I have two kids myself ! - it is supposed to be for the childrens welfare but thats not what its always used for, i know someone who has 8 kids so imagine how much they must be getting a month.....
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2010, 10:18 AM
I think the problem with asylum seekers is entirely relevant to this case, I agree that there should be a hold on us accepting any more into our country until we manage to sort out the mess we're in.

I don't disagree with child benefit, I'm not a bit fan of housing benefit etc - we already have council estates, I don't think that the rest of the country living in our own moderately sized houses should have to contribute in anyway to this disgusting excuse for "benefits" for this woman! Maybe we should all quit our jobs and have loads of babies - then what?? Why should the rest of Britain have to pay for people who cheat the system on a regular basis??

I have no problem with working tax credits because its a top up of someone who is working's salary, but I don't think that anyone who is not working should get all that they do! Of course this woman has a million kids, how else can she avoid working for forever?? Why don't the government stop giving hand outs and offer free or cheaper childcare for families and single parents so that the parents can go back to working at least part time to contribute towards their own incomes in some way and have the rest topped up.

PS. Child benefit should be for the children yes, thats not always the case....take one look at Jeremy Kyle - all those shiny white trainers didn't grow on trees!
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-02-2010, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by greyhoundk View Post
I have two kids myself ! - it is supposed to be for the childrens welfare but thats not what its always used for, i know someone who has 8 kids so imagine how much they must be getting a month.....
No im the same, its used for all the family (our food shopping) not specifically for my son, but ultimatly its benefits my son.
But its so important because it shows the value placed on us bringing up our children as its not mean tested its for us all.
With eight kids she is gonna get about £170 a week, id say that would just about cover her food bill, let alone Gas electric, clothing etc, so put in perspective it doesnt go far at all and is not much of a lure to have 8 kids to get free cash.
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-02-2010, 03:21 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
I just feel we should sort out our own country and it's ethics first, that's more important to me, before embarking on a crusade to save the world, which just isn't going to happen.

Yes, I think we shall have to.
In that case, i hope as a country were not ever in that position!

Just to add on a personal note, My partners grandmother is a polish asylum seeker from the 2nd world war, my son would not be here today if it were not for being given refuge by this country plus several other countries. Not for their kindness she herself would have died as her family did having stayed in Poland, her mother died from the stress of it all in India. So as you can clearly see Asylum seekers are exactly that, here for Asylum from persecution not for handouts, although many of our own laws mean that they often Have to have benefits as they are not allowed to work for a certain amount of time
Page 5 of 12 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »