Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Seacrow
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-08-2015, 08:05 PM

Pork chop bones

Willow has just done a smash and grab on our kitchen bin. She got away into the garden while being chased and has gulped down a couple of about 3 inch pieces of cooked pork bone.

What do I do?

She's looking fine, no coughing or choking. My first instinct is to leave her be, and keep a close eye on her.

Help please.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

10-08-2015, 08:22 PM
Think that's best for now just watch for difficulty going to the toilet or being sick or not wanting to eat.
I take it they were cooked bones ?
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2015, 08:33 PM
She said they were cooked pork bones. Pork bones, especially cooked ones are rock hard and may be difficult to digest. If she's not acting funny, just keep an eye on her. I'd think the highest risk would be it getting stuck but my dogs have stolen plenty of cooked bones over the years and have always been fine.
Seacrow
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-08-2015, 08:41 PM
Yes, cooked bones. Fortunately she didn't chew them, so there are no splinters in her mouth or throat. She just gulped them down because if we caught her we would have got them away from her.
Nothing to do but wait and watch now. Oh, and a new house rule, food remnants go in the outside bin.
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-08-2015, 10:24 PM
Think you are already on the right track with just keeping a watching brief. The advice offered is sound also, as is your resolution for future waste disposal. Hope all is well, bye fer now.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-08-2015, 07:37 AM
I would imagine they will reappear sometime soon, probably early hours of the morning on the carpet thats what happens in our house
Seacrow
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-08-2015, 09:19 AM
So far so good. She's drinking fine, moving around fine and her tummy isn't sore. The bones didn't come up and out, so I guess this afternoon there may be some yelping in the garden.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-08-2015, 10:15 AM
When Rio swallowed a raw piece of bone that was spoon shaped and quite large, I fed her oily pilchards the next day as she was clearly uncomfortable, I thought it worth a shot before the vets visit. Luckily it appeared the other end pretty much as it had gone in
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

11-08-2015, 10:19 AM
She may yelp but the stomach acids may of helped to break them down enough for it not to be uncomfortable. You may find white crumbly pooh for the first few.
Dillon had a small marrow bone the other day and his pooh's are just back to normal after the first few being hard and white and crumbly. Forgot to say like Trouble has said oily sardines and I also put some wheat germ or similar in the food to help move things along.
Seacrow
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-08-2015, 04:54 PM
Thanks everybody for the help. As predicted, white and very dry poop with some minor yelping. That's an efficient digestive system she's got there.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >