Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
gordon lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2005, 11:51 AM

Don't want to neuter /Chemical Castration/concentration issues

Hmmmm, I've been thinking very seriously about getting Tam neutered for a while now.

Anyway the problem is breeding, we have very few Valls in Switzerland and Germany, and in all truth we need all the breeding dogs we can get to prevent serious inbreeding. As I work him it is seriously difficult to get him to concentrate when we have an in-season bitch at home, and he has the tendency to be very aggressive with other uncastrated males. Next to that he's a dominant boy who'll sometimes just give you the finger (in a manner of speaking ) when training then when you tell him off goes all submissive..... .

So about the breeding, you can only breed in Switzerland/Germany when the dog has passed the examination for breeding. The dog's height and weight are measured, everything is compared to the standard, teeth are counted, it's very very through. My dog has a chance of not passing as he really doesn't like being handled by a total stranger, a no-no for a Vall. So in the case he fails I'm making the appointment that day He'll be 2 and a half by then.

I'm getting increasingly annoyed with those hormones though, and it's getting to the point that I'm almost ready to bring the knife out myself..... Anyway, I've found out about the so called "chemical castration" which only lasts 4-6 weeks then the dog needs to be give another injection. I've not been able to find anything certain on the web, and out vet has said that its not dangerous to keep revacciating and that it doesn't hurt the dog in any way.

Have any of you had some experience with it?

Thanks!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2005, 02:11 PM
Its called "Tardak" and I have used it on my males successfully. However it is NOT a permanent solution, castration is, and to be honest if your Vall is how you say he is, he really shouldnt be bred from anyway (my opinion only) dog and people aggression is not something to promote in any breed.

Tardak is excellent for seeing how castration will affect your dog, lasting just 4-6 weeks, you will know if neutering is the permanent solution. I would assume from what you are saying, your Vall will be much better and be more willing to concentrate. Hope it works out for you, will be interested in his progress.
Dawn.
gordon lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2005, 03:20 PM
Like you said, your opinion Should have made myself clearer. He's lovely with "most" dogs, its only when started by another dog that he starts up and even then only when it's another male. We're always asked to go walking with puppies as he's so patient with them. In October we had a Vallhund breed day and he had the time of his life and never a growl from him, if you want to see pictures I still have them...........

AND he isn't aggressive with people (should have made that clearer!) he has NEVER in his life layed a tooth, snapped, or growled at anyone (even the 3 toddlers that live next door and who love to maul him), he just is off standish (normal in nordic herding/watchdogs) and will back away from the judges, who then take it as fear. When he starts to know someone they can do anything with him.

And I know it's called Tardak (not totally dumb) in the UK. But it is apparently a different drug in Switzerland, and when I asked about Tardak I got a "what is that then?" And the reason for using it WOULD be to see what effect castration would have. I know I'm young still, but I'm not a total novice.....
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2005, 05:52 PM
Its used a lot here in DK with varios results (not helping here am I? lol)
Some will swear it helps, other that it has no effect what so ever and is money out the window.
Personally I would try it as it does no harm
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2005, 06:20 PM
Like you said, your opinion Should have made myself clearer. He's lovely with "most" dogs, its only when started by another dog that he starts up and even then only when it's another male. We're always asked to go walking with puppies as he's so patient with them. In October we had a Vallhund breed day and he had the time of his life and never a growl from him, if you want to see pictures I still have them...........
AND he isn't aggressive with people (should have made that clearer!) he has NEVER in his life layed a tooth, snapped, or growled at anyone (even the 3 toddlers that live next door and who love to maul him), he just is off standish (normal in nordic herding/watchdogs) and will back away from the judges, who then take it as fear. When he starts to know someone they can do anything with him.
And I know it's called Tardak (not totally dumb) in the UK. But it is apparently a different drug in Switzerland, and when I asked about Tardak I got a "what is that then?" And the reason for using it WOULD be to see what effect castration would have. I know I'm young still, but I'm not a total novice.....
Yes you should of made yourself MUCH clearer!

he has the tendency to be very aggressive with other uncastrated males.
and
he's a dominant boy who'll sometimes just give you the finger (in a manner of speaking )
also
as he really doesn't like being handled by a total stranger, a no-no for a Vall.
What else was I to think?

You also did not say you knew the name of it in this Country, which is why I told you, you didnt ask what it was called elsewhere either! I was trying to give you the help and answers you asked for!!!!!
Dawn.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2005, 06:25 PM
Have to say he is behaving like a typical spitz, they all stick 2 fingers in the air, its not that they don't love you it is just that they know best.

How old is he?
gordon lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2005, 07:37 PM
BD: well I'm sorry..........

Anyway I'll try to pull myself together. I asked what experiences people had, as in if the dog took badly to the drug, or if there was rather serious side effects. Even though our vet said it wouldn't be harmful this is the man who suggested (when I asked about a natural sedative for our rescue Terrier mix who gets nervous with long trips) that I use a heavy drug that would "leave her droopy for about 5 days afterwards".

I'm truly sorry if I insulted you in any way or indeed misled you (unintentionally).........and Thank you for trying to help me. It was just the line that he shouldn't be bred from that dug a bit I've only ever wanted to improve my breed, and I don't enter into it lightly as quite a few people on here can tell you. But then again, I've had trouble sorting the wheat from the chaff (breeding wise) myself on forums, where you can't see people face to face.

Thordell: Exactly that!! He's all loving but "well I'd much rather not do that riiiiiiiight now."!! I've got it easier than an Elkie or Sibie person but still you can take the dog out of the spitz but not the spitz from the dog. He's at the wonderful age of 21 months, so we've just gotten out of the heavy forestry but still not out of the woods of teenagerness.

Kate (well and truly chastised)
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2005, 08:00 PM
GL, think you have answered your own question, just bear with it. Spitz are independent but they do grow into sensible dogs in the end. Just because your dog has short legs does not make him a small dog, he is a large one on short legs and has still got a way to go before he is all grown up and a pleasure to own.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2005, 09:55 PM
I have a friend who used Tardak and it unfortunately had bad side effects, making her dog very dog aggressive...I have not heard of this happening before, but she had spoken to one of the vets in the UK who was involved with Tardak at the outset and was told that in her particular circumstances, that may have happpened.

Sorry I can't quite remember the exact story, but it was definitely the Tardak that caused the problem. She spent months and months re-training her dog to like other dogs again.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2005, 10:11 PM
No problem GL, apology accepted, hope it works out for you.
Dawn.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >