Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bartie
New Member!
Female 

25-03-2010, 08:30 PM

Hello! - chemical castration (implant)

Hi, have just joined the site.

Wondered if anyone knew anything about chemical castration (implant), have 2 chihuahua pups which I plan to breed. They are both 7 months old just now and Pixie (bitch) hasn't had her first season yet but Benji is getting very amorous! I don't want to breed her until she's about 2 yrs on recommendation from the vet.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2010, 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by bartie View Post
Hi, have just joined the site.

Wondered if anyone knew anything about chemical castration (implant), have 2 chihuahua pups which I plan to breed. They are both 7 months old just now and Pixie (bitch) hasn't had her first season yet but Benji is getting very amorous! I don't want to breed her until she's about 2 yrs on recommendation from the vet.
Well you may be too late, the implant (Suprelorin) takes about 6 weeks to become fully effective, I have two dogs currently on this, it last for about 6mths where it can then be "topped up" or let wear off. Id think VERY carefully about breeding aswell, your type of dog has a lot of dreadful specimens around of late (NOT saying yours are) and a bunch of people breeding for the sake of it.

Here is the implant you speak of, you will have to ask your Vet to get it in as most wont stock it as normal, it took my Vet 24hrs to get it once I asked.

http://www.peptech.com/HTML/Animal_H...in_whatis.html
bartie
New Member!
Female 

25-03-2010, 10:01 PM
Thanks for your post, have just checked out the details of the implant, it seems as though it's ok to use in the short term. I have contingency plans in place for the pups! they have been separated with Pixie going to her grannies!
I know what you mean about some of the specimens that have been bred, but these two have come from a long line of champs, and I wouldn't have what these people do on my conscience. I would like to think I will be a respected breeder.

Do you breed yourself? I'm open to all advice that I can get!
Look forward to hearing from you again,
many thanks
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2010, 11:59 AM
Originally Posted by bartie View Post
Thanks for your post, have just checked out the details of the implant, it seems as though it's ok to use in the short term. I have contingency plans in place for the pups! they have been separated with Pixie going to her grannies!
I know what you mean about some of the specimens that have been bred, but these two have come from a long line of champs, and I wouldn't have what these people do on my conscience. I would like to think I will be a respected breeder.

Do you breed yourself? I'm open to all advice that I can get!
Look forward to hearing from you again,
many thanks
No, as yet I havent bred a litter. Well done for moving the girlie out, its safest if she has come in season, have the male implaned ASAP and he should be fine for 6mths. Ill have my males done each 6mths for at least 2yrs.