Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2007, 10:04 AM

Any Tips?

Wilson is at that age (6mths) and has decided that he doesn't want to get back into the car after a walk. I've tried bribary. I've tried getting in the car and ignoring him (works sometimes), even tried driving off a short distance and leaving him behind!
So any tips as to how to encourage him into the car without having to resort to putting his lead on as he'll start to associate this with going back and not recalling!
Becky
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2007, 10:21 AM
Sounds like he has realised that getting in the car is the end of the walk.

I would go back to the car two or three times each walk, get him in with high value treats, make loads of fuss then get out and carry on the walk...or drive somewhere else for another walk. A bit of a pain I know, but hopefully this way he will stop thinking that getting back in the car means the end of the walk.
leelo
New Member!
Female 

09-01-2007, 10:22 AM
Hi Becky, I have always made a point of calling my puppies back to me a couple of times during walkies, praising the recall, putting the lead on for a few paces then letting them off to continue their freedom. They dont then associate being put on the lead with 'end of fun'. I still do it now and again even though my 3 are older and wise - ish! Could you try the same type of technique with the car: going back to the car after a few paces (or minutes!), giving him yummies if he is food orientated, then letting him resume his walk. Doing it consistently over a period of time might help so he doesnt associate going back to the car with 'playtime over'.

Merely a suggestion....... I'm fortunate not to have to use the car to get to free run areas, so have not met with this issue (so far!!).

Good luck.
Leelo
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2007, 10:34 AM
Unfortunately all the places I drive to to walk the dogs are not ones I can pop back and forth to the car unless I just go up and down the same bit as it is park your car then off round the walk, there are no other ways to get back other than coming back the way you came. I'll give it a go but I think that the dogs are going to start getting very bored with just travelling up and down the same stretch of the walk and will start misbehaving.
I'll try with sausages and cheese and see if that works.
Becky
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2007, 10:35 AM
Dogs hey - too smart for their own good and I too have suffered from this - and until he starts to be reliable at getting in the car I would definitely pop him back on the lead when going back to the car so that he can not avoid it!

There has already been excellent advice given regarding recalling several times on a walk and also I would perhaps clip on the lead at this point and have a game so that putting on the lead is not associated with end of the walk.

And perhaps if you can return to the car several times too - again to avoid the association of get in car = end of walk!

In addition I would train getting in and out of the car at home so that this becomes a separate training time and with high value rewards used each time.

good luck - they do get out of this but they are stubborn monkeys !
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2007, 10:37 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Unfortunately all the places I drive to to walk the dogs are not ones I can pop back and forth to the car unless I just go up and down the same bit as it is park your car then off round the walk, there are no other ways to get back other than coming back the way you came. I'll give it a go but I think that the dogs are going to start getting very bored with just travelling up and down the same stretch of the walk and will start misbehaving.
I'll try with sausages and cheese and see if that works.
Becky
Ok posted at the same time - how about when you do get to the end of the walk you get in and out the car a couple of times before finishing the walk?? so again the element of surprise comes in. Always use a different treat (much higher value than during your walk) so that this is extra special to get in the car!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-01-2007, 11:01 AM
Had to laugh, because Syd went through a phase of this and it took a while, and he still has the odd time when he is very reluctant to leave the forest.
The b*gger will only get in the car if he is the first dog in, the others don't have a problem getting in a freely just jump in when I say come on then once the boot is open, I sometimes have to chuck them back out just to get him to jump in . For him putting him on lead isn't the issue as he comes to the car but will just sit there with a blank look on his face and doesn't budge. I decided to never take no for an answer tried bribary with high value treats which worked some of the time, when it didn't I just picked him up and put him in, no mean feat as he weighs 46kgs. He doesn't resist, but won't help either. I have just kept on with making him get in and now 99% of the time he obeys, although I find on the days he resists it walk has probably been shorter, that alone is not the problem as he resists getting in to leave home to sometimes. Just persevere and don't take no for an answer.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2007, 11:58 AM
Fingers crossed this problem seems to be resolved! I went outside with just him and a bowl of sausages and opened the car, threw sausages in and said in, then shut the boot when he was in and opened it straight away and said out (but with no food). I just kept repeating this in and out of the car openning and shutting the boot and it seems to have 'clicked'.
I'm going to carry on every now and then reinforcing this with a bowl of sausages but looks like we've cracked it!
Becky