Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
firebird
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-02-2010, 02:33 PM

Looking for support....

I'm just wondering if anyone has had the same issues I’m experiencing with my pup.

Sydney is almost 1 1/2 yrs old and two days ago she started to not feel well. She started throwing up.....and it continued all night. It was white foam because she had not really eaten anything. The next day she was very lethargic and slow moving. She would not eat or drink and then she started to get the runs. I'm talking liquid coming out her rump. Poor thing.

We took her to the vet last night and they took her temp. She had a fever of 103 almost 104 and she was rigid in her tummy area. They kept her (leaving her was the hardest thing I’ve ever done) and they hooked her up to an IV. I called this morning for an update and over night her temp reached 105 but now its down to 103. They took Xray of her belly and they said her spleen in enlarged. They are not sure why and we have to wait until the blood work comes back. Maybe she's got an infection??
I know humans can live without the spleen but can a dog?
Has anyone had any experience with the same thing?

I'm just a mess right now....and I don’t know who to turn to! Our dog is our life and I know only other dog owners can understand that.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

18-02-2010, 02:38 PM
Fingers crossed its an infection and they can treat it with anti biotics.

I have no idea whether a dog can live without a spleen.

Hoping for good news for you.
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2010, 02:49 PM
So sorry your little pup is not well.
They can cope well without the spleen. I hope she soons feels better, hugs to you both xx
Tessabelle
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-02-2010, 03:01 PM
Hugs to you all, hope she feels better soon x♥x
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2010, 04:27 PM
I'm sorry to hear about Sydney and I know it is really hard, having to leave a dog and wait for test results. I hope she feels better really soon and can come home to you.
x
Zara's_Momma
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-02-2010, 04:29 PM
I don't have any experience of this personally, but a friend of mine's dog had to have her spleen removed- she is doing just fine now!

Good luck, I know what it's like to have an unwell pup! Hope she is feeling much better soon x.
Sue L
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2010, 06:44 PM
Sorry to hear about Sydney and hope she soon recovers.

Yes a dog can live without a spleen - my 13 1/2 yr old Afghan had hers removed after a splenic torsion about 4-5 years ago and has gone on to live a normal life.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-02-2010, 11:52 PM
Hi Cher, I know a dog which was injured in a traffic accident and had to have its spleen removed and it was ok.

I think the most common reason for removing the spleen in dogs is to remove a growth.

I hope Sydney will be alright xx