Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fluffypup
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-10-2009, 03:59 PM

The alternative 'recall'

So our boy is now becoming distinctly teenagerish in his behaviour and is getting really bad at coming back when there's other dogs around. He's back on a long line and on Saturday we returned to training classes. OH was doing the training with him in a big field and about 6 other dogs and the trainer suggested letting them all off for a play and then recalling them. This was fine until the time came to actually get him back. He decided to ignore OH and suddenly spotted a hole in the hedge. He raced through with OH squeezing through after him and tore down a steep embankment straight into a lake! Typical leo! After a lovely swim around, with OH still calling and the trainer waiting, he leapt out and raced off down a path leading to goodness knows where. Out of desperation OH starting running in the opposite direction and he did turn back but tried to charge past him. 50kg of dog trying to run past you is no joke but OH rugby tackled him (as he was now headed to the car park and ultimately the road) and they both slid and rolled down the embankment, thankfully stopping just short of the lake but covered in mud and looking rather ridiculous! I don't think it's exactly what the trainer had in mind though
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2009, 04:03 PM
very funny picture in my head.

Not sure I'd fancy a 50kg leo trying to overtake me on a narrow path - its bad enough with a 20kg collie.

Bit surprised your trainer didn't suggest this in the first place though - running away from a dog is far more likely to get him to turn round and come after you than following him is.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2009, 04:23 PM
that sounds like a fun day funny image lol bet leo enjoyed himself lol
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2009, 07:00 PM
Bless ya Sounds amusing but I bet you and your OH felt awful Does he have a specific word that he gets really excited for? Like walkies, or car, or lead? With Jess if she doesn't listen to come, I say "do you want to go on your lead" (she adores and dotes on her lead bless her) and she comes charging back. It may be worth choosing a word which means excitement and sheer bliss for him and use that for the special recalls (I've found this helps with Jess)