View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
cls123
New Member!
Female 

17-05-2006, 11:32 AM

Barking when the door bell rings (dog gets over-excited, how to calm things down?)

Does anyone have any good ideas how to kurb my dog's excitment when the door bell rings. She will bark until the person is let in, so its a bit of a problem if you want to talk to someone on the doorstep!:smt102
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2006, 12:05 PM
ooh i found a good tip online for that..

It basically said that get someone to knock on the door for you, then when she starts barking, let her bark for about 4 barks then say 'Quite now!' hold a treat out to distract her and let her eat it. Keep doing this, then eventually prolong the time between sayig 'quiet please' and giving her the treat... eventually it'll sink in i'll try and find the website!
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-05-2006, 12:12 PM
Our trainer at puppy classes said to do basically the same as Dobiegirl suggests, but also to knock on the doors inside the house as you're walking round, to "desensatise" the dog so they learn that a knock on the door doesn't necessarily mean a visitor. The trainer did a home visit and observed Poppy's actions when the doorbell went, she said that basically Poppy was barking through excitment. She said that to Poppy a knock on the door or the doorbell ringing means a visitor and a visitor means fuss/play/attention.

When we moved house recently, we bought a new wireless doorbell, before we put the pusher on the front door, we kept it indoors and periodically rang the bell throughout the day, Poppy would bark because she thought there was someone at the door, but because none of us got up and opened the door, she realised it didn't always mean there was someone coming to visit/play.

We've just put the doorbell at the front door, and Poppy does bark when the doorbell goes, but not for as long.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2006, 12:14 PM
I know this can be annoying, but isn't the dog doing it's job? i.e. warning you of something? One of mine barks too, but I'll happily live with it, knowing that no burglar will get into my house without someone noticing....
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2006, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by cls123
Does anyone have any good ideas how to kurb my dog's excitment when the door bell rings. She will bark until the person is let in, so its a bit of a problem if you want to talk to someone on the doorstep!:smt102

She's being a good house dog.dont stop her just control the length of time she does bark just like dobiegirl mentioned.

My 2 wont bark, i've tried to teach them, but when your standing there barking yourself then you do look a total plank so i've given up. They just mug everyone when they come in
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2006, 12:43 PM
I decided the Biff was barking too much at the door (and people walking past the door etc) and so entered into intensive training with him...he did start to improve ( similar to what#s already been suggested on here), then....I was out on the patio with dogs late at night whilst they...well...you know...and saw torchlight in the back bedroom of my neighbours house...I shouted the dogs and heard someone jump down from their back roof....guess what...all de-barking training stopped sharpish...he'll be quiet when he needs to be...
cls123
New Member!
Female 

17-05-2006, 12:51 PM
Thanks everyone for those really useful tips. I agree a few barks are a good thing so I'll try your suggestions.
Paul G.
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-05-2006, 06:55 PM
Just a footnote to the replies you've had :-
My dog didn't bark at the door when I first had her, so I actually trained her to do so. She stops, either when an unwanted caller goes away which is quickly, or when I open the door. Yours is doing a good job provided that it doesn't go on too long.
SniperWolf
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-05-2006, 08:26 PM
Hey CLS... i feel for you.... i have 2 that do the same... except mines a large male GSD that is a tad imposing.... he goes nuts when you open the door... and dont even start me on the post man!!! needles to say it great when he tears the bills up but not the checks

Indy will shut up as the door is opened and she sees theres no threat... where as Toby carries on going nuts.... we've noticed a distinct lack of friends coming around since we've had him.

His barking is waaaaaaaay OTT

But basicly i'm trying the distraction method, and praise when he quietens down... its a long drawn out process... but i can see a change... all be it small.

Just make sure you dont shout as that just eggs the dog on.

Hang in there