Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2007, 06:22 PM

Do you know an electrician or a heating engineer?? PLEASE HELP me

Advice needed again - where would I be without dogsey??

Need to replace my floorstanding gas boiler and have had a quote of £399 for combi boiler and £700 for work as a homer (handy a month before xmas ) If you know a heating engineer is this good and what should I nake sure of

However have just discovered there are electric combi boilers and wondered if they were any good and how they could be fitted would I need a plumber and an electrician and how much roughly would that cost or could a good handyman do the work if it was electric - I know gas has to be Corgi installer.

Someone please help
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2007, 06:26 PM
I had a combi boiler fitted 5 years ago and it cost me £1,800 from a FRIEND who is a registered Corgi plumber. You cannot get a handyman to fit a boiler, it HAS to be a proper Corgi registered one, and a legit one at that, not a cowboy!!! Gas is dangerous so it's for your own safety too.

That price is far too cheap imo, I had quotes up to £4K to instal mine and take out the old gas boiler and pipework! Get another quote from a proper corgi registered plumber and check him out that he IS corgi registered too!
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-11-2007, 06:29 PM
Can't help you BM, but Colin could, the electric boilers have just come on the market this year so it might be worth making enquiries.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2007, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by nero View Post
Can't help you BM, but Colin could, the electric boilers have just come on the market this year so it might be worth making enquiries.
Thanks Nero will pm Colin and see what he can advise.

Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I had a combi boiler fitted 5 years ago and it cost me £1,800 from a FRIEND who is a registered Corgi plumber. You cannot get a handyman to fit a boiler, it HAS to be a proper Corgi registered one, and a legit one at that, not a cowboy!!! Gas is dangerous so it's for your own safety too.

That price is far too cheap imo, I had quotes up to £4K to instal mine and take out the old gas boiler and pipework! Get another quote from a proper corgi registered plumber and check him out that he IS corgi registered too!
Thanks, I knew that Gas had to be done by CORGI guys and the guys who gave me the quote are from a well known company here and they are def registered. it wass more the electric ones I was wondering about a handyman for, but thanks it would seem that my quote for gas has been quite good, the other one I got was £1300 all in from a single man outfit but he does have the corgi sign on his van. But if I do decide gas I will definitely make sure I did get one quote of £5500
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2007, 06:45 PM
Oh sorry, I misread it then!!! Talking about the gas though, even though he had a big sign on his van doesn't mean diddly squat, coz I had two guys round who had the same thing plus they gave me a card, and it wasn't until I phoned the Corgi people that I found out they WERE NOT registered!!! Can't be too careful with gas

Don't know anything about electric combi's though, didn't know they did them quite honestly.
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-11-2007, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by Benzmum View Post
Advice needed again - where would I be without dogsey??

Need to replace my floorstanding gas boiler and have had a quote of £399 for combi boiler and £700 for work as a homer (handy a month before xmas ) If you know a heating engineer is this good and what should I nake sure of

However have just discovered there are electric combi boilers and wondered if they were any good and how they could be fitted would I need a plumber and an electrician and how much roughly would that cost or could a good handyman do the work if it was electric - I know gas has to be Corgi installer.

Someone please help
I have replied to your PM.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2007, 07:37 PM
Oh sorry, I misread it then!!! Talking about the gas though, even though he had a big sign on his van doesn't mean diddly squat, coz I had two guys round who had the same thing plus they gave me a card, and it wasn't until I phoned the Corgi people that I found out they WERE NOT registered!!! Can't be too careful with gas

Don't know anything about electric combi's though, didn't know they did them quite honestly.
Thanks for that Helena54...if I do go gas I will definitely check - would never have thought of that, these guys said they contact corgi on my behalf and I get a certificate through the post....but having heard your experience I guess they can say anything

I had no idea about electric combis either it was the handyman doing up the flats next to me that suggested one
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2007, 07:43 PM
Originally Posted by Benzmum View Post
Thanks for that Helena54...if I do go gas I will definitely check - would never have thought of that, these guys said they contact corgi on my behalf and I get a certificate through the post....but having heard your experience I guess they can say anything

Eh? I never had any kind of certificate, just the Alpha guarantee? That certificate "in the post" might be like that "cheque that's in the post" maybe!!!!!! You know the one, the one that never arrives after you've paid their bill!!!!

Just ask for their Corgi number and phone the Corgi people with their name and address, they like that sort of thing!!! Most of them HAVE been Corgi registered, but because of the cost of keeping it up with the constant training courses and registrations they just carry on using their old certificates!

So, if you DO use these guys, just ask them for their registration number and you'll do the rest, you don't want THEM contacting Corgi, coz they never would would they!!!! Never heard of that one! Hopefully you'll get sorted with an electric one maybe. All the best anyways, don't get conned in the process, be aware, be very aware, there's a lot of cowboys out there or whatever they're called now!!
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2007, 08:57 PM
Eh? I never had any kind of certificate, just the Alpha guarantee? That certificate "in the post" might be like that "cheque that's in the post" maybe!!!!!! You know the one, the one that never arrives after you've paid their bill!!!!

Just ask for their Corgi number and phone the Corgi people with their name and address, they like that sort of thing!!! Most of them HAVE been Corgi registered, but because of the cost of keeping it up with the constant training courses and registrations they just carry on using their old certificates!

So, if you DO use these guys, just ask them for their registration number and you'll do the rest, you don't want THEM contacting Corgi, coz they never would would they!!!! Never heard of that one! Hopefully you'll get sorted with an electric one maybe. All the best anyways, don't get conned in the process, be aware, be very aware, there's a lot of cowboys out there or whatever they're called now!!
Totally agree with H's advice. My Dad was a Corgi registered gas central heating engineer/plumber and anyone who genuiniely is will have no problem with YOU contacting Corgi to check on them. Don't take risks.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2007, 09:02 PM
Thanks to everyone for their help and advice.

Looks like I will be on the phone tomorrow to a few people to see what I can come up with

But will definitely be safe and hopefully not sorry

Thanks all
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >