Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2008, 11:18 AM

rant about Felix' bad leg

Not much anyone can do but just wanted to have a rant over Felix' leg for him, yesterday I went to a training day but left him at home as it was in a big industrial unit and was cold. I felt so mean before I left because he thought he was going and was all excited but i'm glad I didnt give in. He had a run early in the morning and though it was damp and misty it wasn't particularly cold (I thought), but when I got back last night he was stiff and clumsy in general and the joint was swollen on his bad leg. He was feeling a bit grumpy with the other dogs (which he never is) and was very clingy. He stuck his nose round the backdoor on 'last outs' and turned around back into the warmth. This morning the swelling has gone but he is still a bit stiff overall, he hasn't actually come downstairs yet but is under a dog fleece on my bed with the side heater on to keep him warm. Going off past history he'll come down mid-afternoon, rest for the rest of the day and then be ok in the morning :i9: .

I just feel so sorry for him he's only two so really shouldnt be having these problems but thanks to that f***ing owner and they're dangerous dog he's going to be plagued like this for always. In nice weather theres no problems but when its very cold or wet his exercise has to be cut accordingly or stopped and sometimes it just flares up like this. I've wondered if it would have been better to have his bad leg amputated but the vet doesnt think that would help as he would still get the overall stiffness and although he gets pain and occasional swelling on the joint it was also his chest muscles which were affected (which I never realised at the time all the concern being for his leg) and removing the leg would make that injury/symptom worse - so its a double edged sword really.

Quite often people think I molly-coddle him but they only see him when he's ok and full of bounce and playfulness, they dont see him when he's struggling to get up and down the steps to the kitchen without his leg giving way, or when he's that stiff you'd think he was in his teens not only just out of puppyhood.

So there you go, nothing anyone can do but just wanted to get it off my chest as could cry today to look at him hurting (he has had a painkiller) but dont want to get upset around him as then he worries about me!

x
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2008, 11:53 AM
It's ghastly watching a dog struggle, Hazel - I know.

Poor Felix - still, you mollycoddle him all you like honey - those that matter know the reasons why!

x0x
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2008, 11:58 AM
It's horrid to watch isn't it. He's so young too. Sometimes if it's a old dog, you can at least put it down to age and a grand life, but when they are so young it is a worry.

(((((hugs))))))) to him hun from the girls and Bruce. Hope he's feeling alittle better later today xxxxxxx
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2008, 12:38 PM
thanks guys, i've been up a couple of times for a hug and a cuddle but he's still not come down (or even to the top of the stairs to be carried down which he sometimes does!)... it just makes me angry at the idiots who's fault it was and sorry for him because he's such a lovely lad x