View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2006, 08:37 AM
I can only relate what we used to do with horses for this. Walking/trotting on hard flat surfaces would strengthen tendons, ligaments, etc. but then of course you always had the "down" side with concussion to the joints! Same as jogging isn't it, it strengthens muscles and ligaments, but plays havoc with joints?! I suppose it might be the same with dogs?
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-04-2006, 08:38 AM
Originally Posted by Trish
Thankyou!
You are welcome I have a dog with dropped pasterns so have thoroughly investigated all possible remedial actions.

BTW - As a general point, pasterns do tend to drop with age even if they start out perfect. That is why it is important to get your dogs used to having their nails clipped from a young age. Dropped pasterns means that the nails are not in such close contact with the ground and will grow longer and exacerbate problems with the foreleg lower joints.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2006, 09:10 AM
I take Takara to run over uneven surfaces and even if I don't, she find them to walk over!

If a dog had fallen pasterns would swimming help or not? I'm just interested now as I know that swimming can help so many doggy complaints!
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-04-2006, 09:30 AM
Not sure Lottie. That has never come up in any discussion/research of mine on dropped pasterns. When swimming the muscles involved would tend to be the shoulders, upper fore-limbs and, to a lesser extent, thighs? Quite prepared to be corrected on that though
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2006, 09:42 AM
Weak pasterns can drop down so the foot is not on the floor in the correct way and the dog will be inclined to shuffle or the dog can knuckle over which means the first joint up on the front legs is allowed to bend forward.

Road walking is good as is walking on large pebbles, walking up and down slopes also helps but if this dog is young and of a large breed flexing of the pastern is normal and exercise should be kept down until growth has finished and then increased slowly. Slackness of the pastern is often caused by the stretching or damaging of the tendons and ligaments that hold the joint in place and this may be caused by over exercise or allowing the dog to jump on and off furniture or steps. Steaming (the over feeding of high protein food) or the feeding of supplements like calcium to pups can also cause problems with joints.
newforestfcr
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-04-2006, 09:55 PM
we had a puppy who broke a toe and the pastern dropped - we took him swimming and the guy at the pool said to walk him on sand, his pastern is now the same as the other one - hope this helps.
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2006, 03:12 PM
Thanks to everyone for the advice, I have now passed it on and will report back in due course if I hear of progress. The owner lives a long way from the sea but there are lakes around and shingle beaches so there are a few possibilities. She says the breeder is of the opinion that this dog tends rock his feet back when standing, so he is almost on his heels if you can imagine that, so the point about nail clipping will be made strongly - unless he is recoiling from the owner!!

Thanks again.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2