Our sister sites
sibelover
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-04-2006, 05:56 PM

setting up a parlour???

hi
be gentle i am new on here
my wife and i run a mobile grooming service. well mainly her we are thinking of setting up our own parlour,
does anyone on here run there own??
i am in the process of writing a business plan and would love to know what equipment is needed to kit out a medium size parlour.
what/how many: baths,tables,dryers,blasters, box dryers,clippers ect
even better if someone has recently fitted out a parlour how much did it cost?
do you have a break down?
the more info i can get the better.
thanks in advance
sweetmimi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-04-2006, 04:11 PM
Good luck with this venture I have a friend who has just set up a parlour and I think that she was able to get a grant for it You can get a loan from the Bank if you take a good business plan in and talk to the Manager of the Bank.
My friend has 2 grooming tables, 4 blaster hair dryers, and Oster clippers with different size blades and of course all the combs brushes etc that is needed.
Her shop is beocming very successful because she takes 2 dogs in at a time, and does not have any cages in her shop and believe me that works wonders. The shop door is always locked and the dogs just wander around for a little while before the grooming starts.
She also imports from the States some lovely posh collars and leads and clothing for the dogs and they sell like mad as well.
I would shop around for the equipment that you need and see if someone can do a nice deal for you. Most that supply this stuff will knock something off for you if you tell them that you can get it cheaper somewhere else.
sibelover
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-04-2006, 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by sweetmimi
Good luck with this venture I have a friend who has just set up a parlour and I think that she was able to get a grant for it :
would it be possible to find out what and how they got the grant?
we have tried everywhere but it looks like we have to fund it all ourselves
thanks
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-04-2006, 10:04 PM
if possible could you cater for the giants as well? owning leo's there isn't many palours etc that can cater for the bigger dogs so if you can then your'll get known and you will have a corner of the market no one else has.
ok you will need a bigger than average bath and dryer but it will pay for itself, plus alot of the big breeds aren't cut just washed and groomed.
the few places i have called about the dogs want to charge £50 plus just for a bath hence why owners do them their selfs.
sweetmimi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-04-2006, 10:38 PM
My friend got the grant from a place called Venture Wales as we live in South Wales UK so there must be something near you that would do the same thing Are you in the UK

Babs
juliekelham
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-04-2006, 09:02 PM
good luck in your new veture,i use to clip dogs [mainly poodles] but got athritis in my hand ,so had a change of career.i now run a pet store,and once a year we go to the pet trade show[for retailers] pet index,they have all sorts of pet products including grooming palour equiptment
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2006, 07:31 PM
if u want to practice on a dog, ive got a very smelly collie x, ive got to get him to a groomers thats not gonna require a morgage to go in there.
cumbriandoglover
Dogsey Junior
Male 

20-04-2006, 01:10 PM
There re other problems & costs you also need to consider such as location/plannin permission, enviromental hazzards, insurance, business charge (commercial poll tax) etc. Hope it works out
Joly
New Member!
Female 

23-04-2006, 02:30 PM
however you decide to fit out your salon remember one thing - when your customers walk in the first impression could mean the difference between them booking a dog in or walking back out again - make sure its kept up well re paint walls etc where and when neccessary make sure it smells nice - a clean salon never smells where i work the one thing all our customers comment on is how nice it smells and how clean and posh it looks . of course your treatment of the dogs is top priority but people like to think there dogs are being looked after in a clean hygenic surrounding.
the equipment you need will depend on what and how many dogs you do.