View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lckerry
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-04-2006, 10:21 AM

Sore area on his front leg - what to use to stop him licking it?

I noticed the other day that Harry was licking his front leg. I had a look and noticed that there was a red area on his leg, I thought it was a graze, I thought that perhaps he knocked it while he was on his walk. Harry is still licking the area which now looks quite sore. It hasn't got any bigger it just looks really red from where he keeps licking it. Can anyone suggest anything? Is there a type of doggy savelon cream that I could buy? Also has anyone got any suggestions of what I could do to stop him licking it.
Thanks
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2006, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by lckerry
I noticed the other day that Harry was licking his front leg. I had a look and noticed that there was a red area on his leg, I thought it was a graze, I thought that perhaps he knocked it while he was on his walk. Harry is still licking the area which now looks quite sore. It hasn't got any bigger it just looks really red from where he keeps licking it. Can anyone suggest anything? Is there a type of doggy savelon cream that I could buy? Also has anyone got any suggestions of what I could do to stop him licking it.
Thanks
Normal Savlon or Sudocreme is fine to use on dogs.
My vet recommended both when Teagan had a sore
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-04-2006, 10:44 AM
Max gets sores like these sometimes. Anytime he gets stressed he licks excessively. My vet suggested putting that stuff you get to stop children biting their nails and put it around the sore, not on it. Seems to work for Max.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-04-2006, 10:50 AM
As well as preventing the licking you need to determine what is causing the soreness. It could be anything, from an insect bite/sting to a hot spot to a displacement activity to arthritis or some other painful condition.You may be wise to seek a veterinary opinion if the behaviour continues and/or the sore area does not improve