View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2006, 08:19 PM

Strengthening pasterns - any techniques?

Not sure where to post this....
I have been asked if there are any techniques or exercises available that would help to strengthen weak pasterns in a young dog of a large breed. Unfortunately I have never come across this before so I had no idea what to suggest....... does anyone have any ideas that I can pass on?
This dog is normal weight and exercised on grass and hard surfaces about half and half.
Louie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2006, 08:45 PM
I was always told that road walking was the best kind of exercise for this. Mine get quite alot of hard surface walking and are well up on their toes, but only classed as medium breed and mature quicker than the larger breed. Maybe being a large breed with growth taking priority over muscle developement it will just take time. Just a thought?
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-04-2006, 09:19 PM
Walking on gravel/loose stone surfaces can help.

Also supplementing diet with EsterC is highly recommended by a GSD breeder I know of. Have seen 'before' & 'after' photos of pups that were down on their pasterns and the EsterC would appear to have worked. I don't believe it would work on a mature dog.
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2006, 09:22 PM
I don't know if I am being dim, but what are pasterns? Heels? :smt105
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

15-04-2006, 10:09 PM
The pastern is the metacarpus - the bit between the carpus (wrist) and the digits (foot). A dog that is 'down in the pasterns' has pasterns which slope too much away from the perpendicular
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2006, 10:34 PM
Would swimming not help?

When a dog swims, it's feet can't just go anywhere so the pasterns would have to be strong to keep the feet in the right place wouldn't they?

I was told to keep T walking in woods as well as hard surfaces over sticks and things. Don't know how it works but that's what I was told!
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2006, 10:45 PM
I always walk mine on hard surface, just normal pavement walking really for about 20-30 mins a day for this
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

15-04-2006, 11:01 PM
Originally Posted by random
I always walk mine on hard surface, just normal pavement walking really for about 20-30 mins a day for this
A loose, uneven surface is preferred as the movement causes the tendon to flex in a manner that will strengthen it
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2006, 07:54 AM
Do you have access to a beach at all?

Our local one has a lot of large cobbles that would be an ideal rough service to strenghten them up, if you have one near you it would be worth doing perhaps?
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2006, 08:27 AM
Originally Posted by Shadowboxer
The pastern is the metacarpus - the bit between the carpus (wrist) and the digits (foot). A dog that is 'down in the pasterns' has pasterns which slope too much away from the perpendicular
Thankyou!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >