Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2012, 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by WufWufs View Post
Woah, chill out! Massive overreaction. Nothing wrong with taking a pregnant bitch for walkies outside, I was talking about taking her to a dog event with 100s of dogs in very close proximity, with unknown vaccination status...ask any vet where dogs pick up the majority of infections and I think you'll find that they say most infections are transmitted dog to dog or via fomites in the ground left by other dogs. Calm down a bit please - I find your tone a little aggressive!
A dog comes into contact with bacteria from other dogs on walks. You don't know where there have been other dogs. As for vaccinations, I have 2 dogs, one which had its first pupy vaccs, the other hasn't been vaccinated at all, but I tried nosodes, which the breeder started them on. I don't think vaccinations are the be all and end all.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2012, 09:26 PM
Woah, chill out! Massive overreaction. Nothing wrong with taking a pregnant bitch for walkies outside, I was talking about taking her to a dog event with 100s of dogs in very close proximity, with unknown vaccination status...ask any vet where dogs pick up the majority of infections and I think you'll find that they say most infections are transmitted dog to dog or via fomites in the ground left by other dogs. Calm down a bit please - I find your tone a little aggressive!

If you go to a dog show, you have to sign a form which says you have not been in contact with a known source of infection for 21 days (or thereabouts depending on the society).

It is HIGHLY unlikely that dogs at shows will be unvaccinated (far MORE likely that the dogs they meet in the park are);

As for being infected by fomites in the ground left by other dogs, er where do you think the thousands of pet dogs are exercised?

Perhaps they do not walk or defecate on the ground, perhaps they walk on air?

Nothing in life is risk free, and surely, if the risks were considered that great (by those who actually have some idea of what they are talking about) then this would not be permitted?

Pregnancy is not an illness, but neurosis IS.

KC vaccination is not 100% (nor is any vaccine) and there are no vaccines against many bacterial infections or viruses.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2012, 09:57 PM
Surely taking a pregnant bitch to any kind of dog event (shows/agility) exposes her to lots of potential sources of infections - kennel cough and bacteria that can cause haemorrhagic diarrhoea to name but two? Not the most responsible choice to make :/
Hmmm, seeing as my other dogs were going to the competition, if they had picked anything up they would have brought it back to my bitch anyway.

Life is full of risks and as SB says, the likelihood of picking something up at a dog show is much less than out where every man and his dog walks.

Just because my bitches' life didnt come to a stop whilst she was pregnant does not make me irresponsible!
WufWufs
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-01-2012, 10:36 PM
Yup, life is full of risks Don't think it's a case of being neurotic, merely a case of common sense (not to mention veterinary advice!). Exposing your dog to the certainty of 100s of dogs and all their potential pathogens (and in all the many shows I've been to, no-one has EVER checked vacc status...) or walking your dog where most likely there's been 10 or less before you. Like I say, I live in the sticks where loads of dogs haven't been exercised before me, and meet on average 3 dogs per walk if that, - again, a lifestyle choice I made for my dogs! Have to agree to disagree, guys. Thanks for the input.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2012, 11:03 AM
Yup, life is full of risks Don't think it's a case of being neurotic, merely a case of common sense (not to mention veterinary advice!). Exposing your dog to the certainty of 100s of dogs and all their potential pathogens (and in all the many shows I've been to, no-one has EVER checked vacc status...) or walking your dog where most likely there's been 10 or less before you. Like I say, I live in the sticks where loads of dogs haven't been exercised before me, and meet on average 3 dogs per walk if that, - again, a lifestyle choice I made for my dogs! Have to agree to disagree, guys. Thanks for the input.
Thats because vaccination isnt compulsory for kc licenced shows.
The point I was trying to make is that people who put in the training and go to competitions are far more likely to look after their dogs well being than some that don't.

Unfortunately not all of us can make that lifestyle choice, where I walk 10/20/30 dogs have been there before us, I would be more concerned about picking something up on our walks than at a competition (this is excluding KC).
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2012, 02:19 PM
You are assuming the bitch is not already in contact with all these animals. When I was younger & fitter I showed my dogs every weekend up & down the country so they were exposed to all sorts. My bitch I showed most went to shows until she was 7 & a half weeks pregnant. Mind she didn't look it several people thought she had missed, ten days later she gave birth to 10 healthy puppies & reared the lot.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2012, 02:49 PM
I wouldn't show a bitch that might be pregnant because of the risk of infection. There is a declaration that has to be signed to say your dog is fit and healthy etc but nobody actually checks the dogs that come onto the show grounds, I have seen plenty with upset tums and coughs that I would avoid with any of my dogs.

There are plenty of dogs that are shown that are not vaccinated, some people prefer the nosodes including some well known people in the dog world.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2012, 03:32 PM

So dogs get most of their infections/diseases from dog shows ???? but only around 5% of dogs go to shows so how do the rest get the diseases ? Many areas of the UK(like where I live)do not have "gatherings" of dogs in their 100s & most walks are in open fields where 100s of dogs don't go. How do dogs that never leave farms(as in working BCs/WSDs)catch diseases ?

Not quite sure whet the vaccination status of any dog has to do with dogs catching diseases-after all many fully vaccinated dogs catch the very diseases they are vaccinated against !
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2012, 05:03 PM
Vaccinations...a whole other debate lol.

I have had one litter and I don't think I stopped her doing what she normally did when she was pregnant. I didn't treat her any differently. I think if I was showing her, I would take her, as long as it wasn't too close to her due date.

I didn't really stop doing things when I was pregnant. As someone said, it isn't an illness. I was grouse counting 2 months before Sam was born.

Helen
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2012, 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by moetmum View Post
I wouldn't show a bitch that might be pregnant because of the risk of infection. There is a declaration that has to be signed to say your dog is fit and healthy etc but nobody actually checks the dogs that come onto the show grounds, I have seen plenty with upset tums and coughs that I would avoid with any of my dogs.

There are plenty of dogs that are shown that are not vaccinated, some people prefer the nosodes including some well known people in the dog world.
The whole of asbo's litter was given these nosodes and I've carried them on with him. He's been to shows and things. I'm thinking of getting him vaccinated in the new year, mainly because I can't take him to work otherwise.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3