Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SKing87
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-02-2009, 07:39 PM

Horrible allergic reaction

Hey everyone

Havent posted in a while, been having some virus troubles!

A few of you might have seen an old post about starting to feed Millie Royal Canin German Shep Junior... well I noticed after about a week of eating it that her ears were ridiculously hot, she was itching her armpits, legs, biting her tail... until one morning I woke up, and she had scratched almost ALL of the hair off her left ear

There was blood everywhere, brown gunge coming out of the ear... awful. We went straight down the vets and he said that it was a nasty allergy problem. I also read somewhere on here that someone elses dogs had a nasty reaction with Royal Canin, turns out you are not alone!

£80 later (sigh) we have ear drops, steroid tablets, oatmeal shampoo and an antibiotic injection. She's back in 6 days for a second check, and I'm just hoping the hair on her ears grows back soon

Back to her basic Chappie diet I think. I feel pretty angry and cheated that I've got a £50 bag of Royal Canin sat in the kitchen and it did nothing but make my dog ill! Also can't help but think it's a bit of a gimmick that I fell for, it can't be THAT specially formulated for dogs, not after seeing what it did to mine anyway.

Sorry it was a bit long just had to have a rant. *sigh*
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2009, 07:49 PM
Have you tried for a refund? Or you could donate it to the local dog rescue? What do you think it is she`s allergic to?
My allergy-prone GSDs were OK on Burns and Arden Grange, but I`m pretty sure that with them it was additives
(flavourings and colourings) that set them off.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2009, 08:05 PM
My Bambi had an awful reaction to Royal Canin. She became covered in hives, was scratching herself to pieces. Had to see the Vet emergency appt, injections and on antihistamine for a couple of days. Was fine once I stopped the RC. Mine are all back on James Wellbeloved. Only changed to RC because I'd heard what a fantastic food it was. The dogs really loved it but, after seeing what it did to Bambi, will never use it again.

I still have a 3kg bag in the cupboard but have lots of dogs in the family, so will pass it on to them (hope they don't get any reactions though).

Hope Millie's okay
SKing87
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-02-2009, 10:41 AM
I used to feed my pugs RC and they seemed to be doing well on it til i noticed copious amounts of gunge coming out of one of their ears... switched over to something else and they were fine.

I dont know what it is in RC that seems to have so many dogs getting into such a state, maybe it is just down to additives etc? Thing is... for such an expensive food, especially the 'breed specific' bags, you would expect it to be free from all this rubbish!?

So yeah I think its a bit of a con. Part of me reckons I should pass the bag onto someone else, but the other part thinks well what if they end up in the vets paying £80 like I did? I think the bin is the best place for it.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2009, 10:48 AM
Selkie has a very sensitive tummy, after a few experiments, the worst of which was Pedigree chum complete (Dyed her orange) and Chappie complete (swelled in her tummy and caused bloat) we settled on James Wellbeloved... Never tried Royal Canin myself mainly because I had heard so many allergy stories and though with Selkie being so delicate...

I'd drop the bag off with the rescue centre and move over to JWB if I were you... Or stick with Chappy if it's working for you...

Kismet never got on with 'Junior'... Came out in a terrible rash, I moved her over to adult food and there were no more problems...
SKing87
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-02-2009, 08:28 AM
Yes its funny that you mention that because I've switched her over to a plain 'cheaper' adult brand, and shes 100% better on it. Happier, her coat is glossy again, stools are fine, the swelling in the ears has gone down...

Granted she is still on the steroid pills, so the real test will be when all the meds are finished and its just her & the food... but I am hopeful.

I think I can say I have learnt my lesson when it comes to expensive dog food!

Shes like her mum... why go to a restaurant and pay £100 for half a plate of gourmet rubbish when you can fill up on bangers and mash for £2.50!!

[i dont feed her sausage and mash,dont worry!]

:lmao: