Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2008, 12:38 PM
If I had to rehome a dog because I could not care for it I would not charge
The new owner would be doing me a major favour, I would have vetted them to the nth degree and my situation would have had to be dire
In that case I can see no argument fo taking money - I would give them money to help look after my beloved dog

Shonas care is different as a breeder
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2008, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Crickey, that is another spanner I suppose in my original post I was thinking of adult dogs more than pups, but just shows you how nothing is ever simple.
thats why, if I had a dog come back, and it would be an adult dog if one came back now, if the owner was not prepared to lose money on that dog, I would have to pay for that dog, as there is no way I would be happy for them to re-sell the dog to just anyone..............mine field as a breeder.

but this thread I guess is not aimed at breeders, its more about people who buy dogs then cant keep them so I will shut my hole now,,, so as not to throw any more spanners lol
Lara_C
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-09-2008, 01:08 PM
Haha, I think I know where you got the idea for this thread!!

I would. I think it makes sense to ask for what I would regard as a small fee (around the region of £100 to £150 - more perhaps for pedigree). It ensures that the person buying is serious and also that they have thought about it enough to part with their hard-earned cash.

Of course, if they came to visit and I decided I wouldn't like my dog going with them, no amount of money would make me part with them.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2008, 01:13 PM
When we rehome rescues through the charity we charge. I've only had to rehome once, thank God, a dog I had back from my breeding, I asked for a donation to GSD rescue at the time. I paid for my boy from GSD rescue but not my girl who I've rehomed from her breeder. I won't be expecting her to do more though, she rehomed one of her older bitches to a family friend & they then asked for money to spay the bitch.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2008, 01:38 PM
The thought of rehoming my babies would make me have a nervous breakdown, they are my life... sounds sad to some but I love them so much.....
That said would I charge someone to give my babies, good, loving wonderful homes.....NO! I would approach everyone I know to get them into great, knowledgable homes and maybe ask for a donation to English setter rescue or other.... My concern is the dogs not the money...
I would happily pay a charity for a dog, or make a donation in someones name for one too
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2008, 01:54 PM
I rehomed a newfoundland about 15 years ago, she was 3 years old.

Never ever would i have taken money for her. I drove all round the country looking at the "right home" and when i found it they had everything foc. Beds, bowls, toys leads and food etc.

I also never advertised her, all the contacts and perspective homes where found by word of mouth.

All i cared about was the care she was going to have for the rest of her life, not the cash. As i felt like i had let her down terrible and her next home had to be perfect ( which it was )

I could have sold her for quite a bit of money but that just doesn't seem right to me i'm afraid.

I was offered money by her new owners but refused it.

A breeder friend of mine, if she has dogs back, she spays them and charges the new owner the fee of the speying, or if they have already been speyed she asked for a donation to go to the newfoundland club.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-09-2008, 05:39 PM
I've never rehomed one of mine but have taken on 2 from private rehomings. Both times the dogs were free of charge and both owners were only interested in finding the right home for their dogs.
Frankie came with just his attitude
Milan came with all her paperwork, food, bed, vet medications etc.
I didn't know either owner beforehand but was more than happy to answer all their questions etc. and I've stayed in touch with both via email with photo's from time to time. I think you have to meet the owners and decide for yourselves whether or not someone is right for your dog, no amount of money could persuade me to part with a dog. I would only ever be able to rehome one if I was at least 100% certain it would not only be the right home but the home they would stay in forever.
When asked why I wanted to take on another dog the honest answer was because I could. I don't really get why if you're looking for the best home money should be a consideration, that said I would want my dogs to go to someone that could afford them and whatever costs they might incur further down the line. Dogs cost money throughout their lives and I wouldn't want mine to suffer at a later date because someone was strapped for cash.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2008, 05:57 PM
I sold woody privatly when the trouble with the boys fighting started. i charged £150.00 but he went with lead, collar, food, toys, dishes so I reckoned it just about covered my costs. i still trim him and charge less than normal so to be honest I reckon it works out even.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2008, 06:10 PM
Mine would be free, I wouldn't ask for a penny, I would be much more concerned that the people were right for my dog if it ever happened of course. My one and only ever rescue was free, they wouldn't take any money from me, but of course I gave something to the dog warden rescue anyway coz I wanted to.

To me, and this is only my opinion, if I'm going to give a dog a wonderful home, pay for all the vet's fees, etc. etc. etc. then I'd kind of feel a tad insulted being asked FOR a fee quite honestly!! It would make me feel, hmmph, I'll go and buy a puppy then!! That's just my way of looking at it though, and I would feel like that! Different when they refused to take any coz I gave it to them anyway, but that's different, I wasn't actually asked for any, and I don't think I should either!
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2008, 07:35 PM
At the thought of being shot down - i thought i would add my bit to this - personal experience!

When i rescued Max (rotti), i had to pay for him, i also used a whack of petrol. (all my own choice i hasten to add). As i knew i wasn't going to keep him (still got him chipped and jabbed) - i did advertise him at a high price - to keep away 'thugs' shall we say.

The girl who has max (Denver now, lol) spoke to me on the phone for ages and then brought her mum and wee daughter to meet him (that day!!)

They were at my house for hours which was great - took him out, interaction between dog and nipper - everything fitted.

I knew she didn't have the price that was advertised - that wasn't the idea - but i did take some money off her. I do hasten to add that i didn't cover my costs and actually (from a blunt way of looking at it) made a loss.

HOWEVER - Denver is now loving life, has a constant companion in the wee daughter and to me it was the best move i could make.

I did post a bit ago (couple days i think) about help with a stressed rotti as he doesn't like being left - but that is his only vice.

I am actually friends with the family now and in constant contact with them - meant to be going through on my next days off (and if they can get a lift may even come to tentsmuir).

Do i think i was wrong in taking money? No.
Was i greedy? I don't think so but others may disagree.

This is only my personal experience and i'm hoping no-one feels the need to make it a vendetta, lol. My inbox is still full

I would also add that if for any reason she couldn't keep him, then i would take him back and i would just have to get on with it, this hasn't happened - so far - touch wood, lol.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >