Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2013, 11:33 PM

Making Arrangements

Hi

We have been at the hospital all day,my first worry were the dogs,my BP was 80/36,so had to wait due to Anethesia,as it could make my BP lower,so finally it got to 102,but all the time worrying about the dogs.Made my OH go home,but lying here worrying,I don't know what if anything you can do if say an accident happened,All our family are 5 hrs away,the neigbours have a large family,had approached Cinnamon Trust,got the forms,but still looks as if they could end up in kennels awaiting a home,that does'nt bear thinking about imagine there distress
but how do you make arrangements for your canine friends,people often say they are like our children but I dont think you can legally appoint a guardian.So maybe the forum will have given it some thought,or do we like most people put off thinking about it as something that may happen sometime in the future nothing to worry about but these things happen.Gemini54
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2013, 06:10 AM
Gosh I know that feeling when my husband had a stroke a few years ago obviously I didn't want to leave his side but could have cried knowing the dogs hadn't been fed and were left on their own in the flat for 16 hours. They had never been left more than an hour or two before.

Finally got home and bless them all of them just wanted a wee (really badly) and then had their breakfast and went back to sleep absolutely fine LOL

I was so worried though as two of them were people aggressive so I couldn't even risk asking someone else to go in and see if they were OK.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2013, 06:11 AM
Must of been hard for you stressing like that, I know if you were involved in an accident and the police were involved the dogs would be removed by the authorities if there was not a member of family to take them and they would go into kennels till someone or yourself could have them back.
That was the story behind my son's GSD only the family couldn't have her thats why she was put up for adoption and how come he had her.....he was one of the Police Officers who dealt with the case originally.
There are places that take them and you fill out forms to say what you want to happen ie rehomed etc
In our case ours are provided for in our will, and the Blue Cross will take them and find new homes. I know its not ideal and I try not to think about it but Im assured the 'right' homes will be found.
I think really thats all you can do to console yourself at least in my mind I have left them with some security.
Hope your feeling better soon xxx
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2013, 02:22 PM
Gemini,hope you're o.k.(( hugs))
I guess I'm lucky I come from a big family,if something happened to me anyone of them would only be too willing to take Lacey.She's used to them and I know she'd be well taken care of,maybe not as pampered as I would like but she'd be grand.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2013, 02:57 PM
I'm lucky too. My kids all argue over who is getting Bella if mum dies (I gently remind them I do still have a pulse at present!)

On a more serious note - my boarding kennels have full contact details for all my kids (they require next of kin and responsible other adult locally when she is left with them anyway)

They know if anything should 'happen' to me they can expect the dog to be delivered to them by a neighbour or will get a request to go and collect her from my flat where a keyholder will meet them.

My kids know that the Petstop Boarding will have the dog and that they will arrange for her export to the UK to my eldest (they can fight it out from there! But his wife doesn't work!)

I have a PAT'S STUFF list that I update regularly and email to my kids, my neighbours who hold spare keys to the flat (so dog can be retrieved and family given access).

I've been the family member responsible for sorting out the muddle after my father died making no arrangements for anything and it was no fun and very depressing at an already sad and depressing time so I am ADAMANT none of my kids will have to go through the same thing.

Here's the gubbins for Bella on my PAT'S STUFF list

BELLA details:
BELLA passport number: CY - 00022343
BELLA microchip barcode: 977200007790356 (10/1/2011)
PET STOP KENNELS - Arradipou
They will collect her from my flat and can ship her to UK
OWNER: SHARON - 00357 99522296
how to find them:
http://www.petstopcyprus.com/How%20to%20find%20us.htm
Cath
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-08-2013, 05:13 PM
Gemini I hope you are feeling ok ((hugs)) It can be difficult to sort these thing I know, I'm lucky (!!) in that my youngest son is still living at home but with the hours he works he would find it difficult to look after Marco but would cope in the short term. In the long term I'd want him to go to my son and his wife who live in Norfolk as they are dog lovers and as of yet are choosing to stay child free.
IceCody
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-08-2013, 06:47 PM
I am not sure what you wrote meansI really hope you will get better soon and your dogs are taken care of. I cant imagine being sick and have to worry about your pups as well

As far as mine go, my family would never let all my hard work go to waste and would keep the dogs in the family or with friends if something happened to me.
My dad, if he pulls through his illness right now which is actually a good chance that he will, would take Desty and probably Leo as well.
And if he couldnīt take Perla, he would find one of my friends to take her in. Someone she knows.
If that wouldnīt work out, than my brother would find somone within the family or friends to take them in. He knows I would not want my dogs in his house because he has really rowdy kids and my dogs are small and Leo and Perla come from unfortunate situations so they would not handle that very well.
I am very grateful that I have family and friends that would never let anything happen to my pups.
ndidi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-08-2013, 01:08 AM
my family or friends would take care of my animals for me if anything happened as they know they mean alot to me. Also the dogs would go back to the guide dogs if family could have them as it is in the contract I signed for Ellen and Hovis belongs to them at the moment.
So thank fully they are sorted out.
Ndidi
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2013, 11:08 AM
Hi Thank you all,it has been a real worry,as I have no family,my OH family are not really interested,and if we try and bring the subject,oh you have years yet.So when I am a bit more comfortable,will try and do the right thing.Blue Cross sounds like they have a good scheme,and may give me pointers as to what more I can do.Gemini54