Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 05:13 PM
Originally Posted by bint View Post
Gnasher I'm no expert but from the photo's I've seen of Hal, Ben & Tai I can def see collie in there. Beautiful dogs, all of them though! I see collie in my own dogs, more so the smaller of the two, not only in look but in the way he stalks. He's also the dog that wore an e-collar in his previous home & reminds me a lot of your boys.

Xactly!!!!
Nothing wrong with a little bit of collie blood!Makes them very special indeed

Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Give it a rest , and stop play the "poor little me card"! you are more than capable of upsetting others when you feel the need, either through PM or on the forum, so dont go portraying yourself as Miss polite personified...

The problem being though Gnasher is , you frequently treat members on her as the "village idiot" time and time again, with your referral to your oh so clever hubby, and if he says it , it must be true, after all he is the eminent scientist, so what would we know about anything,

You use him to try to belittle forum members at the drop of a hat, time and time again.

So pretending to NOT understand Bens post, and needing to run it by Hubby to clarify her explanation, was nothing more then another "he knows best" jibe from you.

Don't play the "upset card" your far to tough an old bird for that one

The problem is you keep giving others the bullets to fire your way, with your "stories" and versions, (depending on which way the wind blows) its no surprise people are fed up with it all . add to that your e.collar abuse of Ben, is not going to gain you friends!
Spot on Jackbox!

Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
So unfortunately "village idiot" is all that we're left with!
Nail on the head
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2011, 08:05 AM
Just to add on this thread, I was watching It's Me or The Dog recently and there were 2 episodes involving shock collars. In both cases, the collars were removed so that behaviour could be improved!

One was a boxer who was too afraid to go into it's own garden due to being shocked there. He had to be desensisited to his own garden!

The other was a weimaraner who showed aggression with the collar on, was highly stressed, and basically just needed something to do, more training and individual interaction with her owners, which stopped the problems.

Just goes to show, shock collars do not solve everything and wise trainers ditch them

Wys
x
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2011, 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Just to add on this thread, I was watching It's Me or The Dog recently and there were 2 episodes involving shock collars. In both cases, the collars were removed so that behaviour could be improved!

One was a boxer who was too afraid to go into it's own garden due to being shocked there. He had to be desensisited to his own garden!

The other was a weimaraner who showed aggression with the collar on, was highly stressed, and basically just needed something to do, more training and individual interaction with her owners, which stopped the problems.

Just goes to show, shock collars do not solve everything and wise trainers ditch them

Wys
x
Had an acquaintance who wanted to be a trainer (we met on a course). Unfortunately, with two young children she decided she wanted a 'challenge' so got herself a high-drive lurcher from a very dubious breeder. Actually, the dog was lovely and highly trainable, but needed patience. Instead he got an e-collar .

Why?

He ran the boundary line and jumped at the rickety garden fencing to get at next doors cat.

E-collar purchased. Instructions watched, read and even discussed with the distributor. E-collar put on, tried low setting WHILE THE DOG WAS RUNNING THE FENCE - no response. Turned up full, the dog came hurtling back inside after yelping.

The dog wouldn't go out in the garden for nearly a month and it took far more patience to desensitise to the garden than ever it would to train the dog not to run the fence. When the dog did eventually go out again, you've guessed it, he tried to get at the cat the next time it was out in the garden.

The dog was eventually re-homed which, considering his circumstances, was the best thing that could happen for this boy.

ETA: Thankfully, the lady gave up the idea of becoming a trainer - a very wise decision
dal5
New Member!
Female 

19-03-2011, 10:54 AM
I am new to this forum. I can't believe how you talk to each other !!! I have just left one forum because of the little back biting clubs that form.
I won't be carrying on. don't bother to reply I shan't be back
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2011, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by dal5 View Post
I am new to this forum. I can't believe how you talk to each other !!! I have just left one forum because of the little back biting clubs that form.
I won't be carrying on. don't bother to reply I shan't be back
Maybe forums are not for you then.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2011, 12:42 PM
I think new members should not be able to access certain threads till they have made several posts. CM and aversive training ones, for example. It would stop the salesmen and also those who just want to have a pop.
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2011, 03:50 PM
Haven't read all the posts, really don't have the patience and the last few pages have told me all I need to know.

Whilst there's nothing wrong with not understanding something (quantum mechanics has always foxed me) there is something wrong in not trying to grasp something you plan to use on another living creature, esp if it has the potential to cause pain.

Members on here have explained several times, in various degrees of detail and complexity how ecollars work. If you've payed any attention to these explanations I can't see how you couldn't now have at least a basic understanding of the concept.

Gnasher, your OH might be an intelligent guy, but that doesn't mean he knows or fully understands everything, esp if it is out of his field of expertise, nor does it exempt you from learning for yourself.

As for the wolf cross debate: *sighs*

There's a black hole when it comes to information on the exact parentage of these dogs, no one can state with 100% certainty that there was or wasn't wolf used. However, examining the evidence i.e the dogs, along with the countless differing versions of events, it would appear unlikely that pure wolf was used. Low content wolfdogs maybe, but still unlikely.

Your dogs are lovely, but wolf crosses I highly doubt. However, you're welcome to keep believing it if you wish. But can you honistly not understand why others don't?
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2011, 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Had an acquaintance who wanted to be a trainer (we met on a course). Unfortunately, with two young children she decided she wanted a 'challenge' so got herself a high-drive lurcher from a very dubious breeder. Actually, the dog was lovely and highly trainable, but needed patience. Instead he got an e-collar .

Why?

He ran the boundary line and jumped at the rickety garden fencing to get at next doors cat.

E-collar purchased. Instructions watched, read and even discussed with the distributor. E-collar put on, tried low setting WHILE THE DOG WAS RUNNING THE FENCE - no response. Turned up full, the dog came hurtling back inside after yelping.

The dog wouldn't go out in the garden for nearly a month and it took far more patience to desensitise to the garden than ever it would to train the dog not to run the fence. When the dog did eventually go out again, you've guessed it, he tried to get at the cat the next time it was out in the garden.

The dog was eventually re-homed which, considering his circumstances, was the best thing that could happen for this boy.

ETA: Thankfully, the lady gave up the idea of becoming a trainer - a very wise decision
A very wise decision, methinks, Brierley!

Wys
x
dogdragoness
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-03-2011, 11:50 PM
What's also bad is on the US forums, there are ppl that actually recommend e collars for snake proofing & such & to play devils advocate for a moment, I have seen an e collar work in the lone exception.
roo roo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-03-2011, 11:14 PM
one of the most sensible debates i ever read about why ecollars are not a good idea was posted by a psychologist who recounted a very famous study done in the usa many years ago with groups of students who had to zap other students.ill go see if i can find it as its extremely interesting from a point of view of the mental damage done rather than the physical damage and im not just talking about the dog either.off to bed now but ill find it tomorrow and post it here
Page 26 of 42 « First < 16 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 36 > Last »