View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2013, 08:21 PM
Now we have Remus we go every day and almost always in the morning. He needs that blast of a good sprint to get rid of some energy and tire him out, otherwise he'll be a pain annoying Tonks trying to get her to play and barking at her. But he's only nine months old. Tonks is five and can manage without a walk or walking at flexible times....but now we have Remus she is getting the same routine too.
Cath
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-08-2013, 08:39 PM
I've noticed recently that there are more people walking dogs than I'd previously seen. We walk Marco 2 or 3 times a day between us but he's only on small walks due to his age and when possible we try and take him somewhere to have a run.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2013, 07:30 AM
During the heat I saw more dogs being walked than ever around here, having said that I did stop to speak to a few as the dog was suffering (something I don't do normally) and planted the seed of ''better to walk them when the full heat of the day has gone''.

We walk Sutton Park for approx 4 hours, in the winter months when its got colder we see hardly anyone (only the ones that walk whatever the weather) and when its raining we see no-one.

In fact whilst all that heat was on I was surprised how many people had dogs around here and I never knew

example.....someone at the top of the road had 2 Lurchers, I was talking to her (believing they belonged to maybe a relative as I have never ever seen them before) and was shocked to learn they were hers and had been for 5 years ..............her words were....Oh! we have a big garden so don't go out with them usually but its hot today
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2013, 07:36 AM
Hi I live in a rural area, and most of the green spaces are private,but as we are close to beaches and rivers that is where we go walking,I notice in the winter only a few familiar faces but otherwise deserted,but as soon as it gets warmer,it gets busier,also people just take there dogs around the block in the winter Gemini54
jantet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-08-2013, 07:49 AM
People are extraordinary - the one time I don't walk the dogs is when it is very hot! When Gertie the lurcher was very old she really struggled in the heat, and I used to get up at some ridiculous hour to give her a walk.

What a pity about those lurchers rarely having a walk - my garden is probably big enough for my lot to get enough physical exercise (chasing each other or a ball) but they'd miss out on all the exciting smells and other dogs. And walking is a good way for us people to get fit too!
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-08-2013, 10:38 AM
In the four years I've owned dogs I've NEVER seen any of my neighbours walking their dogs and I'm thought of as that strange eccentric English woman whose dogs have have harnesses and leads! All the other dogs in the village are kept outside in the front yard 24/7 wwhatever the weather. The only time I see dogs on leads is when we go to the city some 40 miles away and when we visit the vet.

Until I had complication with my leg I walked the dogs three times a day unless it was too hot or there was two feet of snow on the ground. The first winter I had the girls the snow was so deep the only place I could walk them was up and down a narrow path in front of the house and to make sure they got enough exercise I used to take them into my woodshed and let them climb all over the logs which they loved because there were lots of mice in there.
pamela81
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-08-2013, 10:55 AM
Barney is walked for an hour in the morning in the tracks of the country park we have right across the road from us and then again at night but going on a different route through the many tracks available.

We often meet other dog walkers on the main path at our house but then very rarely once we get onto the tracks which are well marked out.

he also gets shorter walks on the grass beside us just as quick pee walks during the day
s7eph
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-08-2013, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by jantet View Post
What a coincidence! I was born and brought up in Bromley, then moved to Knutsford, and then retired to Horncastle. I walk mine through the fields alongside the canal and then along the Spa Trail towards Woodhall Spa.
I'm another from Bromley !! now in France.
I walk mine early morning before it gets hot but here in France people dont walk their dogs as much, although you do some poor dogs being dragged round the brocantes* in the midday sun *boot fairs
SusieL
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-08-2013, 04:01 PM
We go out at least twice and often three times a day. See a few regular dog walkers at the same sort of times every day but I would say about half of the dogs in our small village are never or very rarely taken out on walks at all. We have been here 20 years and there were certainly more dogs being walked when we first came than there are now.
HollyG1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-08-2013, 04:47 PM
There's two families over the road from me who have dogs and i VERY rarely see them go out (a couple times a year) although obviously it could be a coincidence.
We also don't know the dogs, my dog sometimes misses walks if she's on a stiff day as i usually leave it up to her if she wants to go out
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >